StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the addition of a top case effect the handling/buffeting of the bike in anyway?And are there any cases that are better in this regard?I'm looking for a case to accommodate a helmet,jacket,pants and that has a decent locking/theft protection,what's the best quality case available for this application?TIA

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Does the addition of a top case effect the handling/buffeting of the bike in anyway?And are there any cases that are better in this regard?I'm looking for a case to accommodate a helmet,jacket,pants and that has a decent locking/theft protection,what's the best quality case available for this application?TIA
I don't notice any difference with a 52 litre Givi box.

·
I rock at logic
368 Posts
I have noticed only a marginal difference in handling when the crosswinds hit my Givi 46.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I notice a small difference with my cheap JC Whitney Large Topcase.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's going to depend on how much weight is being carried and what other de-stabilizing inputs are involved. The sticker on the Strom luggage rack says not to exceed 10kg or 22lbs. I got spit off due to a tank slapper after taking three pieces of loaded luggage to 119mph indicated. I always ride with a Scotts steering stabilizer and keep it under a real 80mph since then. Many luggage items come with a warning to not exceed 80mph.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
With some effort, I'm able to jam my helmet, jacket and pants into my Givi E52. Here's a rear-view pic...

And here's a view from the side...

The bike seems to handle fine with the E52 and I eventually got used to the look of this big bulbous thing on the back. It's got a decent lock but a determined thief could get it off the bike or force it open.

- Martin

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
GIVI E450 Simply top case

I have the E450 and have not noticed any problems what so ever. Weight may be an issue but I would think not so much as to cause extreme handling issues. Even the big case can only hold so much. As long as you don't have it filled with bricks!:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
A little noticable

I just returned from an 800+ trip and had about 5k of video gear in my cheap JC whitney top case (med/flat black one). On I-84 with 40 mph headwinds and semis it was not fun, but honestly, I noticed the bike was more top heavy slow-going on some two-track, but only because it was probably over-loaded.

BTW, anyone interested in having their favorite ride (or rider) being featured in a television series about adventure motorcyling should drop me a line..for now, we are currently filming the pilot in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, but will soon be going east toward New England. I will be posting more about this venture here, as you guys and gals are what it is all about.

Heads up, probably not a good idea to pop a wheelie with an overloaded top case...almost went right over on my wee somewhere in Grant County! Ride safe.

[email protected]
www.americanadventurerider.com

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the E450 and have not noticed any problems what so ever. Weight may be an issue but I would think not so much as to cause extreme handling issues. Even the big case can only hold so much. As long as you don't have it filled with bricks!:D

I have the same topcase and only noticed a slight bit of drag occasionally and 1 or 2 MPG loss. In my opinion this a non-issue and the convenience of a topcase more the makes up for a little drag and 1 or 2 MPG.

HTH's

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the Givi E52. Can barely fit the helmet, pants and jacket into the case. Actually have to makes sure either part of the pants or part of the jacket are stuffed into the helmet to get the lid closed.

haven't noticed any problems with handling or gas mpg drop, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts