StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of top-opening happy trails panniers, and there is a top section of the rack to use a universal sort of mounting plate.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of top case would work with the top opening panniers I have got on the bike, I am not sure whether they are Denali or which, but while I'd love to get a topcase on, I don't want to find that I've put it on and ensured that I can't open or use the panniers anymore...

Ed at Happy Trails said he felt their largest top case would still work, has anyone actually fitted the sidecases with their 50+ liter topcase? I need something for larger grocery items as well as my helmet when I'm parking the bike for the day.

Any advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I hope to be in the same situation in the near future. I also have the HT panniers (Teton 9" width) and plan to fit a hard top case of some sort.

What I'd suggest is searching out the width dimension (left to right as you're riding the bike) of the top case(s) you are interested in. Then simply take a tape measure extended to the width of the proposed case and lay it across the rear rack and see if the pannier lids will strike it when they open. Most likely the top case will sit up a bit from the top of the rack due to the mounting adapter system.

The other simple way to make double sure is to mock up the top case using a cardboard box cut down to match the proposed case and position it where the top case might sit, then open the pannier lids.

I mounted my cases a bit low just for this reason, plus they just miss the turn signals when they open.

I am planning on the Givi E45 top case with the backrest unless I stumble on something I like better. For the mean time I'm using my KLR soft tailbag.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mocked up a flat sheet at 14x17, and put two additional 2.5" strips on the ends... both of the huge-butt HT topcases will fit... I don't have the normal current happy trails rack, but an older version where I have a flat tubular center rack section.

The good: no need for a tailplate.

The bad: need to make the mounting hardware from bits and pieces, and there's no way to fit a quick release.

Mine were fitted by the prior owner, and are not level on the top, they are a little higher at the rear than yours as shown.

I think I might as well just get the big case, for groceries as well as keeping my helmet, jacket and overpants on the bike when I go to work, it's not much more than the second largest...

Anyone have any recommendations of how to do the mounting of the case, in terms of hardware details?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm not 100% clear on what you have now and where you need to go in terms of mounting hardware.

Do you have an existing tail plate/rack and need to adapt the HT top box to it? And do you want a quick disconnect solution?

I think there is a way to do it but I need to understand the scenario better. Can you post up a couple pix?

Many people mount their panniers/boxes with a forward slope. Mine are actually sloped forward some (~5 degrees) but not to the extreme some do it.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Both my wife and myself have the Happy Trials Panniers on our bikes and they work just find with the Givi e52 top case. Hers are the 9" Teton and mine are the Denali's. That is with the Givi top case mount bolted to the Suzuki Rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts