StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I transfer my current topcase (Underwater Kinetics, like a Pelican 1520) from my KLR to my vStrom, I am considering getting a different one altogether. If it could hold a full-size helmet, and have a back rest on it, for two-up riding with my wife, that would be ideal. What suggestions do you have that fit this criteria?

Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have the OEM Suzuki aluminum cases, the top case is 38L, identical to the Trax case and can fit full face helmet, jacket and gloves in it. It gives nice back support to the pillion although not as sleek looking as some of the other cases. Have not tried it out in heavy rain, but it should be fairly water resistant with the rubber grommet.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a cheapie eBay case. Fits two full face (medium size) helmets. It's a bit flimsy, so my wife doesn't feel absolutely confident in leaning back (especially since there's so much room on the seat, my wife has to lean considerably back to lean on it), and there is no built in cushion/backrest. It was a pain to install.

That said, it's totally worth the price, and completely sufficient for my needs.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
top cases

check our Hepco Becker

·
Registered
22 Posts
I cancelled my OEM top case order with my dealer just last week. The ETA date had past and they now have no clue as to when it will come in.

I just ordered a "Trax" one. Shipped on Thurs this past week and should arrive here in Calif on the 19th. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have a Givi 45L topcase I bought from Sport Adventure Touring Motorcycle Accessories and Gear - Sport Tour Ltd. for around $140. It's fairly cheap, but you do need to buy a "base" for it. The good news is the base fits perfect, you just remove two bolts and bolt it on (it uses 4 bolts total). The textured finish doesn't show scuff marks, it's waterproof, all round great case. I also mounted a Givi backrest on mine,and moved the case back one set of holes on the mounting plate.Cheers--BB

·
Registered
255 Posts
Givi Trekker 46l topcase is another choice. Can attach the Givi backrest to it and it holds a full face helmet. Some can fit 2 helmets in it. I cannot.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Coocase v37 matches the bike's lines well and is pretty sturdy.

I have the backrest, but have yet to install it. The lenses (stock clear) were replaced with the smoked in the pic.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also just ordered the Givi 45L box with mounting plate and backrest. It came to $295. You can mount the box with the universal plate that comes with the box, but you may have to drill holes in the stock rack.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the Bestem T-929. 46L with tail light and backrest. $80.
I have it too. Pretty happy with it, for the money especially, but it does rattle a bit. I have looked at it closely and it's not the brackets rattling, it's the top case itself rattling on the plastic anchors. Have you found this to be true too? If so, what can be done about it - shimming it somehow maybe?

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I have it too. Pretty happy with it, for the money especially, but it does rattle a bit. I have looked at it closely and it's not the brackets rattling, it's the top case itself rattling on the plastic anchors. Have you found this to be true too? If so, what can be done about it - shimming it somehow maybe?
Get some foam rubber, put that underneath, particularly near the back mounts.

Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the OEM Suzuki aluminum cases, the top case is 38L, identical to the Trax case and can fit full face helmet, jacket and gloves in it. It gives nice back support to the pillion although not as sleek looking as some of the other cases. Have not tried it out in heavy rain, but it should be fairly water resistant with the rubber grommet.
[/IMG]
Nuke, which mounting plate did your TRAX topcase require?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have the Canadian EXP model...comes with OEM Suzuki top and side cases which are identical to the Trax items so the bracket was installed by Suzuki.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bestem rattle

Yes my Bestem rattles a little too on its mount. Seems to be sturdy enough that it's not going anywhere. I'll probably get around to some foam damper someday - like when I next wash it ... :yesnod:

·
Registered
220 Posts
1st post - woohoo! I was just wandering whether the Trax topcase requires an additional mounting bracket, or will the metal plate on my new 2012 Adventure model work for mounting the Trax topcase?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Givi Trekker 46l topcase is another choice. Can attach the Givi backrest to it and it holds a full face helmet. Some can fit 2 helmets in it. I cannot.
What citizen4 says, I agree and it is roomy. Two med to small helmets or one bucket size lid <grin>. GIVI sells top case back pad which I installed.
Not the greatest pic, but should give you some idea. I am very happy with the design and quality of this top case. The silver skin area is brushed aluminum.
Here is a pic,

(disclaimer; not advertising for GIVI, just helping out a member with some feedback on a product I use)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello,

I also have the Bestem 929. It fit on the stock rack okay - I put a foam pad under the metal mounting plate (from my '09 Strom, actually.) I had to install the front bracket with bolts nut side-up - and then cut them off with a dremel. Otherwise, easy install - and it is stable, with no rattling. Also, it fits my gigantic Shoei XL RF1000 perfectly, with the helmet lying on it's side.

Also, I would like to install the brake light - I don't think I'll be needing a relay, so I thought I could just tie into the brake light wires. I believe I saw that someone else did that here, but I can't find the post. Also, does anyone know what colors the brake light wires are on the '12 V?

Thanks,

--John

·
Registered
791 Posts
1st post - woohoo! I was just wandering whether the Trax topcase requires an additional mounting bracket, or will the metal plate on my new 2012 Adventure model work for mounting the Trax topcase?
Welcome to the forum!
You need to remove the rubber pad and install an adapter plate. The top case slides into the plate and locks in place and can quickly be removed. I really like the top case; run with just this much of the time and can quickly install the side cases when needed.
Ken

·
Registered
78 Posts
Trax top case won't fit Adventure plate

The technician at Twisted Throttle informed me that Suzuki intentionally used slightly different spacing of the attachment points to prevent the use of Trax top cases on the included plate of US Adventure models, so you have to purchase the Suzuki version (which otherwise looks identical).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts