StromTrooper banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The Shad SH29 works great for me. It probably won't do for long-distance traveling but for the around-the-town errands, it has enough room to store your helmet and then carry a few grocery bags home.

I actually bought the top case to have a backrest for my wife, the extra storage capacity was just a bonus since I don't do long rides anyway. With the side cases, I have more than enough room for my needs.

View attachment 272292 View attachment 272293 View attachment 272294 View attachment 272295
What light you have on the back. It looks like it belongs there. Any links?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd add:

I like a hard topbox and soft panniers. On day rides I can lock my helmet and jacket in the top box at stops, and not take the panniers at all. On multi day rides, I put my bag (clothes and the like) in the top box, and heavy/less used stuff in the panniers. At night I take the bag from the top box to my room, and the gear from the panniers gets locked in the top box. Moving the gear from the panniers only takes a couple of minutes and I'm happy because it's locked up and not carried up to my room.

I've heard stories of hard panniers causing damage to ankles, feet and legs in crashes - which put me into this line of thought. Not sure how true that is, or how likely (I'd rather tune for staying upright...) but that's where I went.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What light you have on the back. It looks like it belongs there. Any links?

Like I mentioned, it required me to add some spacers so it wouldn't interfere with the rear rack but it wasn't a big deal.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
I think crashes cause damage to ankles feet and legs. Doubt that most panniers do more than shatter when they hit the pavement.
I have crashed with my Givi E36 side cases twice. One time the rack got bent, both times the cases gained a few more scratches. I am certain they protected me, because the case being there kept the bike from leaning over as far as it might have otherwise.

I had a case latch break in one of the crashes. Easily repaired, fortunately, but I wouldn't have been mad if I'd had to get new cases. While I was wearing proper protective gear, it's better to have the bike held up by the case instead of my leg/foot/ankle.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts

Like I mentioned, it required me to add some spacers so it wouldn't interfere with the rear rack but it wasn't a big deal.
That's neat. Wonder how the brightness compares to my homebrew LED stop light, using SMD strip?

I "rolled my own" because the OEM stop light kit for my case (K48) was not available. At least, not without ordering from & paying too much for it. I'm pretty sure my version ended up being brighter anyway.

·
Registered
304 Posts
CycleGear does not stock hard luggage in store unless you're in CA near one of the flagship shops. I used to work for 'em. Never saw hard bags of ANY flavor in-store unless it was a custom order waiting for pick-up.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
Yep. Our CG is the only store in the entire state with more than a tiny selection of gear, but still no hard luggage. Or soft luggage. Maybe a tank bag, possibly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Time to revisit this thread. Money is saved up, and I'm ready to purchase. Just having a heard time deciding. I think as far as top cases go I'm either getting the Shad SH 48 or the SH58X along with a pair of side cases. Either the SH23 or SH36. I keep on going back and forth on the possible different combinations of the above, but I want to order in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just for comparison, here’s the Shad TR48 aluminum topcase I just put on. Closely matches the style of the existing side cases, and coincidentally the whole greyscale colors of the bike. All metal, though, and ya gotta love boxy. Fits my Neotec II with room to spare, but no way could it hold two modulars. The SH48 says two full-face helmets, but I’m guessing not two modulars?
B44AD5E4-1B43-4D21-A0C0-B30A58030559.jpeg
BFD93F49-638D-4FFD-B44D-F5ECC0E72768.jpeg

·
Registered
21 Posts
The wide angle lens helps. I almost passed up buying the bike when I saw the seller’s pix (stock sidecases on the DL650XT), but I’m surprised at how little they do hold. I keep the top empty for the helmet, a standard backpack in the port side, and the smaller starboard box (to make room for the exhaust pipe) will be for tools & such. Fills up fast, though I’m sure I could pack much tighter if I needed to. But the biggest shock to me is that the specs for the bike itself say that you should never put more than 6.5lbs in any case. Whu??

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Just an aside, @macuaig. I have the SW Motech Trax EVO side cases (37L & 45L) on K6 Wee which I believe are the same as the Suzuki side cases. SW Motech lists the max load as 22 lbs. I routinely carry 30 - 35 lbs (total weight) in each when traveling and carried 40 lbs back when I was camping. So far after about 9 years of use, no ill affects.

YMMV

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just an aside, @macuaig. I have the SW Motech Trax EVO side cases (37L & 45L) on K6 Wee which I believe are the same as the Suzuki side cases. SW Motech lists the max load as 22 lbs. I routinely carry 30 - 35 lbs (total weight) in each when traveling and carried 40 lbs back when I was camping. So far after about 9 years of use, no ill affects.
Good to hear, thanks. I am going to find that 6.5lb reference, see what world it’s trying to live in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Since you’re asking for recommendations... I will recommend my setup. 2 Shad SH23 side cases with NO top box. They’re surprisingly roomy, and I do grocery runs all the time. I keep a modest amount of equipment in them such as tools, bungees, cable locks, folding stool, ball cap, etc. and still have room for plenty of groceries.

I use a pistol cable lock to secure my helmet to a passenger grab handle. Eventually, I’ll probably get a top box for a long trip. I really like these cases because they’re relatively narrow, open from the top, and have a quick-disconnect feature.

Shad is offering 20% discount code. $325 plus shipping.

View attachment 272413
I’m still quite happy with the SH23’s and the price is right. Seems like the SH48 would be a good complementary top box

·
Registered
88 Posts
In the meantime, while you're researching, a good backpack works great. Loosen the shoulder straps a bit while on the bike, and it'll sit on the rear seat. Takes some of the load off you, and adds a little air between you and it to reduce sweating.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
That's how I was able load up backpack full of stuff regardless the weight(most probably around 25lb) plus gallon of water bag to drink while riding.

Like you said, makes it nice to have air in between to reduce sweating.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts