StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Just my $.02 -- having a top box is very handy. When I'm commuting, I put my lunch, laptop, and small gym bag with work clothes to change into when I get to the office. Helmet goes into the top box when I get to work. My bike had the full set of factory luggage and a tank bag when I bought it. When doing a long weekend, I can put clothes, extra pair of shoes, and a CPAP in the top box and carry snacks/drinks in the tank bag. I haven't had a need for my side cases yet, but when I take a longer trip or have to carry extra gear for camping, those will be helpful. Crosswinds are noticeable with the top box (and I have a front fork brace) so in my dream world, I would get a big ( > 60L) dry bag to strap to the tail and remove the top box, when going on a multi-day trip. Then if I still need more cargo capacity, use my side cases. I don't ride 2up, so I don't need to keep the pillion open either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
...I am mainly looking at having some storage if I took the bike up to the grocery store for a small amount of stuff or for helmet storage...

Using those parameters, what size would you recommend, and any particular brands?
Since you’re asking for recommendations... I will recommend my setup. 2 Shad SH23 side cases with NO top box. They’re surprisingly roomy, and I do grocery runs all the time. I keep a modest amount of equipment in them such as tools, bungees, cable locks, folding stool, ball cap, etc. and still have room for plenty of groceries.

I use a pistol cable lock to secure my helmet to a passenger grab handle. Eventually, I’ll probably get a top box for a long trip. I really like these cases because they’re relatively narrow, open from the top, and have a quick-disconnect feature.

Shad is offering 20% discount code. $325 plus shipping.

3C32E3D0-C35B-485C-B023-BB78618A927D.jpeg

·
Administrator
13,821 Posts
To be right up front - this is IMHO, YMMV, etc.

A topbox is incredibly handy, and it WILL fill up with "stuff" to the point where getting a helmet into it will never happen.
Well I have been using Topboxes since I got my first Strom(givi E52) and the 58 liter more recently. I don't usually put my helmet in the topcase. I stopped at work today and usually bring all my gear to my locker but for reasons that don't matter I put the helmet in the topcase. I have done so on rare occasions (Usually if downtown Toronto visiting my Son) and there is almost always room to do so. (BTW soft things like gloves can fit inside helmets.)

There are times I jam it full but those times are rare.

BTW a cable for locking my Roadcrafter (and if needed the helmet) is always in the Topbox.

..Tom

·
Registered
241 Posts
Big fan of my Kappa 48L top case (KVE48AN). It's roomy, but definitely NOT too big. No complaints at all. That's where my helmet goes once I stop somewhere. My only advice would be when in doubt, go bigger than you think you need. Also maybe read some threads about buying your case/s overseas (Motostorm, etc.). Big savings to be had there, especially if you are buying several items.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Here's a pic of my Wee with the Givi E460 (46 litres) top box on it. It easily holds my Shoei RF1000 plus other stuff. It is really good to have a place to stow the hat when you get off the bike. It's a pretty spendy box, especially with the luggage rack on top. But one nice thing about having luggage from one maker, is being able to swap boxes as needed. I also have Givi E36 side cases that can go on the same mount and work as top box or side cases, in addition to the smaller Givi cases in this photo.

Attachments

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
144 Posts
V47L Givi top case here. It rather resembles a squat bullet and holds two full-face helmets on their side, or five to seven six-packs (bottles vs cans) or about four stuffed plastic grocery bags. Far from cheap at ~$350 ish, but given my XT panniers sit in the garage most of the time I needed the biggest box I could find while still be able to flip the panniers open when I did carry them. Zero regrets.
Same here - IMO the Givi 47 is the better looking of all of them, just more sleek. Holds all I need and pops on & off in a second.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Since you’re asking for recommendations... I will recommend my setup. 2 Shad SH23 side cases with NO top box. They’re surprisingly roomy, and I do grocery runs all the time. I keep a modest amount of equipment in them such as tools, bungees, cable locks, folding stool, ball cap, etc. and still have room for plenty of groceries.

I use a pistol cable lock to secure my helmet to a passenger grab handle. Eventually, I’ll probably get a top box for a long trip. I really like these cases because they’re relatively narrow, open from the top, and have a quick-disconnect feature.

Shad is offering 20% discount code. $325 plus shipping.

View attachment 272413
Does that price include the mounting system?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Just for grins, here are a few different configurations
1) Givi N22 (22L side cases) - cute little things, but pretty useless for hauling more than your lunch and a spare set of shoes. They are oddly shaped so a lot of things that you think would fit don't

2) Same thing with an e460 top case - holds 2 regular helmets or one xl modular and some other stuff

3) Givi Trekker 33 side cases - these will hold a lot of groceries, they have 2 opening modes but the 1/2 top open mode is not very usefull unless you are hauling paperwork - otherwise they open like a suitcase. Easy to stick boxes and bags in them. If you get these make sure they are the newer version that have the extra latches on the sides

4) Suzuki stock top case - pretty good size, looks ridiculous, latching system is terrible - rattles and the mount puts it so far forward on the bike that you can't get the seat off without removing the top box. Doesn't hold as much as you would think due to the shape unless you are filling it with small or flexible things. This was on bike when I got it and is now part of a coat rack.

5) Tusk hard bags - the medium 27L version. (with that same Suzuki top case) You can drop a bag of groceries right in the top with room to spare. Super easy loading - I've got them solid mounted to some modified Givi racks, but there are ways to make them releasable.

6) Kappa garda 52L top box - big and rectangular but light compared to a lot of the box shaped adventure boxes. Holds a ton of stuff - couple of helmets unless both are huge modular helmets. Pretty cheap if you buy from an online place in Italy.

Ultimately you need to decide what you are trying to fit and then go bigger. I prefer Givi stuff because once you buy the bag mounts you have a lot of options (Givi and Kappa) for when you change your mind on the bags. I use these bikes as cars as much as I can, so the more space the better.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
im the exact opposite, smaller the better. I prefer the functionality of a small case to hold carefully picked essentials as tools, and medical supplies. And MOST top cases look like crap, especially the refrigerator sized ones. I am pleased with the look of mine.
You must buy your groceries one sandwich at a time
:p

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,679 Posts
Top box is my "trunk."

Also I've added various supplementary lighting to my Kappa case. Two LED brake light & turn signal repeater bars. Brake light inside the large red lens, backed with 3M SOLAS tape for extra visibility at night. Would feel a bit naked, relying solely on the stock lighting.

No data on the supposed instability induced by top box. Rear shock is done in, so any small effect from top case is just that.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Top box is my "trunk."

Also I've added various supplementary lighting to my Kappa case. Two LED brake light & turn signal repeater bars. Brake light inside the large red lens, backed with 3M SOLAS tape for extra visibility at night. Would feel a bit naked, relying solely on the stock lighting.

No data on the supposed instability induced by top box. Rear shock is done in, so any small effect from top case is just that.
The only time I ever notice any instability from the top box is just a COG issue when I have it loaded heavy - or stupidly put a couple of gallon containers of milk or juice in it without insuring they can't shift to one side in a corner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
For me, the top box insta

:D
Point is that the original poster was looking for a top box that could haul some groceries
To clarify, as far as groceries. It wouldn't be often, and it would be a small amount. Like a small bag or two. I just wish there was somewhere I could actually see some of the boxes in different sizes in person to get a better ideal. More likely to be used to store a helmet and jacket. I dream of doing weekend trips, but will that actually happen? If history is an indicator. No.

Still thanks to all the replies. It has been great information I've been receiving.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
To clarify, as far as groceries. It wouldn't be often, and it would be a small amount. Like a small bag or two. I just wish there was somewhere I could actually see some of the boxes in different sizes in person to get a better ideal. More likely to be used to store a helmet and jacket. I dream of doing weekend trips, but will that actually happen? If history is an indicator. No.

Still thanks to all the replies. It has been great information I've been receiving.
Unless you live near a CycleGear or RevZilla retail location it'll be tough to find a place to look at a lot of different boxes in person.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,679 Posts
The only time I ever notice any instability from the top box is just a COG issue when I have it loaded heavy - or stupidly put a couple of gallon containers of milk or juice in it without insuring they can't shift to one side in a corner.
Makes sense. I avoid putting much weight in my top box for the same reason.

That, and the poor tail frame is already working pretty hard just holding up my fat arse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Unless you live near a CycleGear or RevZilla retail location it'll be tough to find a place to look at a lot of different boxes in person.
There are 3 cycle gear in my area, but when I check online there isn't any hard luggage in stock.
One more thing I have to factor in is cost. I am considering front and rear suspension upgrades which will cost $1,000+.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
There are 3 cycle gear in my area, but when I check online there isn't any hard luggage in stock.
One more thing I have to factor in is cost. I am considering front and rear suspension upgrades which will cost $1,000+.
Cost wise I'd be looking at Kappa luggage then. Motostorm is a great place to buy it online, they are in Italy where Givi/Kappa is located. Shipping took a while on my last order, but that was because I ordered it mid European Covid shutdown.

Curious what $1000 worth of suspension upgrades look like for a Vstrom. Seems like a lot unless you are paying to have it installed.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,679 Posts
Not surprised about Cycle Gear not stocking luggage, unfortunately. We have one CG in the entire state, and it's too small to stock any luggage. I'm lucky if they have more than 1 style of boot per category to try on.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts