StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide on how much storage I should purchase in the near future. AS much as I would like to get top and side cases at one time I do not see the need to do so. I am mainly looking at having some storage if I took the bike up to the grocery store for a small amount of stuff or for helmet storage.. Maybe a weekend trip to visit people. I've not yet done that. So I'm thinking for the time being a top case only would suit my purposes for now, and I could get the side cases later.

Using those parameters, what size would you recommend, and any particular brands? My ride is a 2019 650XT.

·
Registered
15,606 Posts
A big top box since a side case to hold a helmet would be really wide and you'd need to to look symmetrical. Even a top box to hold a helmet is going to be big enough. if i remember correctly the JC Whitney top boxes, which is like a Shad, can hold a helmet. Relatively cheap too.'
You might list your location, you may find something locally, like me. I've got a couple taking up space in the garage.

·
Administrator
17,511 Posts
I now run a Caribou luggage Pelican 35L top case, had bigger Givi knock off before but was too big and just didn't look right on a bike like this. Many great options available, but just be warned that "the good stuff" most certainly won't be cheap. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Bigger the better. All top cases look like crap, you may as well get the added practicality of a larger top case. If going with a smaller one (also applies to larger ones), get the square ADV style. Not necessarily for the looks, but the squareness allows them to better fit odd objects compared to a curvy one.

I previously owned a Givi E52 which I adored. Could fit my gym bag, laptop bag, spare gloves, and other small stuff as needed. In theory, it could fit two helmets, but that requires a completely empty case which never happens.

Currently have a Trekker Outback 42L, which is ok. If I cram things in there, I could fit my laptop and gym bags, but that's about it.

If you only have one piece of luggage, get a big top case. I toured for a number of years with just the E52 and a duffle strapped to the back seat, it was fantastic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A big top box since a side case to hold a helmet would be really wide and you'd need to to look symmetrical. Even a top box to hold a helmet is going to be big enough. if i remember correctly the JC Whitney top boxes, which is like a Shad, can hold a helmet. Relatively cheap too.'
You might list your location, you may find something locally, like me. I've got a couple taking up space in the garage.
Houston, Texas.

·
Registered
2019 DL1000XTA
272 Posts
I’ve got a Givi Outback Trekker 42L. I think it’s a perfect size for commuting, grocery getting, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Shad SH29 works great for me. It probably won't do for long-distance traveling but for the around-the-town errands, it has enough room to store your helmet and then carry a few grocery bags home.

I actually bought the top case to have a backrest for my wife, the extra storage capacity was just a bonus since I don't do long rides anyway. With the side cases, I have more than enough room for my needs.

·
Registered
3016 DL1000 ABS
533 Posts
Like air-ick I am a fan of the smallest top box I can get away with because sometimes riding solo at speed they can negatively affect stability and I have found this on a number of motorcycles in the past. Some are worse than others and interestingly my X-Adv scoot is hardly affected at all. I use a Givi of similar size to air-ick's and a helmet is a cozy fit in it. I really only have it as support for the Wife when we are two up on the Strom. The bulk of our gear goes in the Panniers and I also use a tank bag.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Shad SH29 works great for me. It probably won't do for long-distance traveling but for the around-the-town errands, it has enough room to store your helmet and then carry a few grocery bags home.

I actually bought the top case to have a backrest for my wife, the extra storage capacity was just a bonus since I don't do long rides anyway. With the side cases, I have more than enough room for my needs.
air-ick, that thing looks huge height wise. Is really that tall or is the camera playing tricks?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Like Regder said. Go as big as your budget can afford. If you ever ride 2-up, get one that will hold 2 helmets. This way if you and your passenger stop somewhere, you guys can both lock up your helmets if you walk around.

I have a Givi E52 that’s been on like 4 bikes by now. It easily holds two size large helmets, or my Aerostich suit and more. It stays on my bike 99% of the time.

I also have a “beater” Givi E45 that I use on my dual sport bikes if I’m planning on going off-road. 2 medium helmets are tight in that one, requires fancy packing, one needs to be upright and one on its side.

·
Registered
34 Posts
air-ick, that thing looks huge height wise. Is really that tall or is the camera playing tricks?
I think the pictures make it look worse than it really is. It does sit up higher than it otherwise would because I added spacers between the carrier and mounting plate to accommodate the brake light kit of the top case. Without the additional height the extra brake light was getting in the way of the rear carrier.

The third picture of the right side of the bike really distorts the size of the top case compared to the rest of the bike. Actually, all the pictures do to a certain extent. The SH29 is one of Shad's smaller cases.

It makes a great back rest because it is basically as wide as most people's backs, even my wife's, which means her arms are able to move freely and don't bump against the case like happens with the wider ones.

TBH, if aesthetics had played any part of my decision to purchase a new bike, I wouldn't even own this one. I've never really liked the "beak" on this bike but I've gotten too old to care about that stuff anymore.

Between the beaky front and the bulbous back, it's not much of a looker, but everywhere in between it's a great bike and perfect for what I want now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My last guided tour in Thailand, I had a small Givi top case, and I was surprisingly able to stuff the hell out of it. My guess is that it was the monolock version. Not sure if I could fit a helmet in it though, but it would meet most of my needs 99.9% of the time. I do have visions of wanting to do more weekend touring, but between work and taking care of mom doesn't leave me much time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
V47L Givi top case here. It rather resembles a squat bullet and holds two full-face helmets on their side, or five to seven six-packs (bottles vs cans) or about four stuffed plastic grocery bags. Far from cheap at ~$350 ish, but given my XT panniers sit in the garage most of the time I needed the biggest box I could find while still be able to flip the panniers open when I did carry them. Zero regrets.

Reactions: NeverSatisfied

·
Registered
675 Posts
In the meantime, while you're researching, a good backpack works great. Loosen the shoulder straps a bit while on the bike, and it'll sit on the rear seat. Takes some of the load off you, and adds a little air between you and it to reduce sweating.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Check TourandRide.com which is the retail arm of Givi in the USA. From time to time, they have excellent deals on some clearance items.

Specifically look at the Kappa Monolock trunks which come with the mounting plate included. My wife has a 35 liter that was around $70 and I opted for a larger 47 liter that was $140.

I have not seen the deals letely, but they do happen.

·
Administrator
13,810 Posts
I like a big case.

I have happily used Givi E52 for about 10 years and replaced it with a 58 liter Outback Trekker. Lots of money but I really like the case.Great for everyday commuting, day trips andn long trips. I always have it on the bike.

I have side cases but in general don't like having them on the bike unless I absolutely need them. If I was riding on a trip with a passenger I would add the sidecases but otherwise I would put on an 80 liter Givi bag on my back seat to carry extra stuff.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 109 Posts