StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there are lots of threads on top case options but when I search on the terms "top" and "case" it says they are "too general" and it returns no results.

I just bought an '07 DL-1000 that already has an OEM rack and side cases. Ideally I would like the factory top case so it would match and could be keyed the same as the side cases, but they are pricey with the mounting hardware and inserts and (from some comments on this forum) of poor quality. When I go to the GIVI site the only option they show under DL1000 is the E528, and it is unclear whether it will work with the OEM rack I already have. I have attached a photo of the rack.

Anyone find a good solution to the same predicament?

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Side Case Inserts

For whatever reason whoever bought my DL1000 originally got the Suzuki OEM side cases, but not the inserts. I wouldn't consider this a big deal except for the fact that without the inserts there are holes in the side cases, allowing rain and other crud inside the cases. I was a bit appalled when the dealer indicated the center inserts were somewhere around $135 dollars, but I had pretty much resigned myself to paying that. However in searching around tonight it appears I also need the "edge inserts", sold separately of course, for another $70. $200 to plug holes in $500 factory cases???? What a friggin' scam.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
it is unclear whether it will work with the OEM rack I already have.
Are you sure that's OEM? That sure looks like a Givi "monokey" rack to me ... if so, any Givi "monokey" case will fit, and that gives you lots to choose from.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OEM Rack

I'm actually not sure, which is why I included the picture. The bike was on consignment with the dealer who originally sold it and he told me it was an "OEM" rack. I've looked the thing over and there are no brand/manufacturer markings.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I'm actually not sure, which is why I included the picture. The bike was on consignment with the dealer who originally sold it and he told me it was an "OEM" rack.
If you can get ahold of a borrowed monokey case for a few minutes, try snapping it on. If it fits, you're golden; there are tons of options.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OEM Rack?

If I look on the Suzuki Accessories site I don't see any racks for the DL1000, just the top and side cases with their mounting hardware. I assume it would be the same rack that comes on the "tourer" models offered in Canada. But I have no idea what that is.

If you can get ahold of a borrowed monokey case for a few minutes, try snapping it on. If it fits, you're golden; there are tons of options.

·
Registered
28 Posts
DL1000 Cases

I have a 2008 and I ordered Givi cases from my dealer. They kept delaying this, delaying that. I cancelled the order. I needed some new gloves and went to another dealer nearby. I mentioned the case issue. He said what color is my bike. I said Silver. He took me upstairs and there, in an un-opended box was a complete set of three Kappa (Owned by Givi) cases with mounts. I will send you photos if you request from me: [email protected]. I am sure these are still languishing away in werehouses all over the country. Maybe on Ebay.:hurray:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OEM Rack?

This is giving me a headache. There are no decent pictures on the Suzuki accessory site to be able to tell what exactly they are calling top case "mounting hardware". Is it the rack I already have on my bike or something that attaches to that rack? The parts guy at the dealer said I would need the top case mounting hardware, but to be honest they don't inspire confidence.

I have a 2008 and I ordered Givi cases from my dealer. They kept delaying this, delaying that. I cancelled the order. I needed some new gloves and went to another dealer nearby. I mentioned the case issue. He said what color is my bike. I said Silver. He took me upstairs and there, in an un-opended box was a complete set of three Kappa (Owned by Givi) cases with mounts. I will send you photos if you request from me: [email protected]. I am sure these are still languishing away in werehouses all over the country. Maybe on Ebay.:hurray:

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
Those are OEM cases. Same setup as mine....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OEM Rack?

I know the side cases are OEM, they even say Suzuki right on them.

1.) With the top rack that is on my bike, which is presumably also OEM, would I require this part (called Hardcase Mounting Hardware Top Case Mount) to mount an OEM top case or is this part just the rack I already have?

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product...gage/990D0-06G00-061.aspx?Style=&CategoryId=8

2.) Is this OEM top rack that is on my bike compatible with any other top cases (GIVI, Kappa, etc.) or just the OEM top case?

Those are OEM cases. Same setup as mine....

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
You have the top rack. It looks like it ready to go... I believe ONLY the Zuk top case will fit that rack....

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm sure there are lots of threads on top case options but when I search on the terms "top" and "case" it says they are "too general" and it returns no results.

I just bought an '07 DL-1000 that already has an OEM rack and side cases. Ideally I would like the factory top case so it would match and could be keyed the same as the side cases, but they are pricey with the mounting hardware and inserts and (from some comments on this forum) of poor quality. When I go to the GIVI site the only option they show under DL1000 is the E528, and it is unclear whether it will work with the OEM rack I already have. I have attached a photo of the rack.

Anyone find a good solution to the same predicament?
with what you have, the only thing that will plug right in is the OEM top case.

the e528 plate mounts to the four holes that hold the rubber mat on the original cast rack. you can easily drill four holes in the rack that is on your bike to mount it. this will allow you to mount any GIVI Monokey top case. i did this on mine. if you go this route i can send you a template. you would have to remove the pegs and latch block for the OEM top case. i would just mount them on the bottom of the rack so you don't lose them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OEM Rack

Thanks. That is what I thought but the parts guy insisted I would need the "top case mounting hardware".

Since you have the same setup I don't imagine you have seen any side case liners for the OEM side cases?

You have the top rack. It looks like it ready to go... I believe ONLY the Zuk top case will fit that rack....

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
The only liners I found were in the UK........... They get all the good stuff.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Thanks. That is what I thought but the parts guy insisted I would need the "top case mounting hardware".

Since you have the same setup I don't imagine you have seen any side case liners for the OEM side cases?
you already have the mounting hardware. you just need the box and the color insert.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts