StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a non adventure DL1000 and want to install a top case on it. I know several manufactures make specific case mounts for our bike. I was wondering if the universal mounts that GIVI or Shad supply for all there cases will fit on the rear rack of the 2014 Beak Strom. Anybody tried to install those universal mounts?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just drilled my stock rear rack and thru bolted a plastic Givi mount to it and its been holding up fine. I do however want to get a model specific Givi mount with its extra bracketry.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I also just drilled mine and bolted Givi universal base. I'm happy with it.

·
Vendor
5,647 Posts
Yep, you can drill and bolt either the Shad or Givi's universal adapter to the stock rack.

However, everyone I have dealt with opted for the bike specific mount. this included someone who initially thought he would just use the universal mount. He just couldn't bring himself to drill the holes and he thought the universal mounts to be less than optimum.

I myself used a mount similar to the Shad universal mount on my wee for many years. No problems what so ever. they may not look strong, but after they go on they stay in place and you just generally don't think about them.

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
I just installed the Givi top box rack today. This is not the universal mount and it includes some interesting brackets.

In combination with the Givi pannier racks there were two bolts that were impossible to tighten underneath that hold the pannier rack on, you replace these with extra long bolts, then when you screw them in they stick out the back.

The top box bracket then fits over these extending ends, and you add a nylock nut to the back of it, but that nylock nut is in there so tight i can't see any way to tighten it. My small wrench has no room to move and a socket is too big, the only thing that might work would be to have one of those ratcheting wrenches, very thin. Not sure even that would work. Anyways, it it not that important since the bracket is fitted between these two extending bolts, so there is no way for it to fall off even if the nylocks fall off.

Once i got it all together it was rock solid though. My top box just snapped right on. It was a PITA to install though, finicky with lots of bolts, spacers, nuts etc etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I went with the steel top rack and Shad adapters from SW-Motech. I wanted it to be versatile and I didn't care for the "universal" plastic top plates. The SW-Motech looks good when my topcase is not on the bike and it can be used with several adapters. It does have some weight to it, feels like a piece of a Sherman tank. I thought about the aluminum SW-Motech rack, but it was more $$$ for it and also for the adapters.

·
phatguy in Cbus
182 Posts
I use the SW Motech Steel Adapter as well. Easy to mount, looks good and adapts to just about anything, including soft luggage.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I put a Givi 52 litre Trekker top case on my bike. Look at the drawing of the rack in ausroba's post. The #3 struts carry extra weight down to bolts on the subframe. I had no problem getting all the bolts tightened for the top case rack without the Givi side cases.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anyone use the happy trails rack SU Rack Adapter Plates for
GIVI Monokey Luggage?
I want to get the givi trekker outback top case and looking for best monokey rack option
Thx

·
Registered
92 Posts
I put a Givi 52 litre Trekker top case on my bike. Look at the drawing of the rack in ausroba's post. The #3 struts carry extra weight down to bolts on the subframe. I had no problem getting all the bolts tightened for the top case rack without the Givi side cases.
Which rack did you use?..I want to put the Givi 58L trekker outback top case on a strong monokey rack.

Reactions: wingstrom

·
Registered
92 Posts
Givi Sr3105 rack

image.jpg

I have a better understanding what your saying in regards to your post after seeing install with the Givi SR3105.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone know if the Suzuki OEM top case bracket (93900-31810 BRACKET SET, TOP CASE) can mount other bags than the factory topcase? I think these cases are usually from a third party, but wasn't sure which one. I already have a Givi case laying around and though this might be a cheaper way to mount it. Or if its a "Shad" or "Nonfango"(if they still exist) or "Emgo" or just something proprietary from Suzuki.

Thanks, TRM

·
Registered
98 Posts
I mounted a Givi universal monolock mount on mine with out drilling anything. I just made custom brackets, and used shorter nuts.
no problem, I don't cut, drill, or modify anything OEM. Looks like hell if you change your mind or sell the bike and want to keep the mount.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Another plug for the SW Motech Steel mount; great quality and looks fantastic.
And it just bolts on...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Got the Motech Steel mount. Still can see movement in the plastic mount but not concerned. I pile a lot of dodo on there when camping but it seems to be holding its own if it ever cracks/breaks I will go for something with the extra brackets. Till then..... It's already pretty hooped looks wise as I had the paint rub off right away. Did a home made paint job in black but it aint pretty.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought one of those universal Chinese knock offs top box and mounts for $40. I turned down some adapters on the lathe out of uhmv. I have to say the box and mount have held up surprisingly well and looks decent too. Been on a few 1500 mile journeys so far with absolutely no issues so it looks like its a keeper. I will admit I don't keep anything in it that I can't live without incase it flies off somehow without me noticing. I'll use the money I saved from not buying high dollar box elsewhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts