StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending hours looking at all the various top cases, I couldn't get away from thinking the Emgo Trunk just looked right. Not too adventure, not too Buck Rogers. At $67.45 shipped on eBay, it's inexpensive.

My XL Arai Corsair fits fine. The quality seems good. I've ridden about 250 miles with it and it hasn't come lose or caused any problems. No rain experience but it looks like it should seal fine.

I had read that it doesn't fit the V-Strom without drilling but I found that not to be the case with my 2013 650.

Included hardware

I upgraded with lock nuts and added some fuel line "scratch protectors". Also, painted the brackets black.

I cuts notches in the side of the bracket that goes towards the front of the bike to enable sliding a 7/16" open end wrench between the top of the tail light and the bottom of the rack while tightening using a screwdriver from the top.

The nuts clear the top of the tail light - just barely. No scratches.

The fasteners seem to only fit in the 4 holes seen here unless you want to get out the drill.

This is the first in a line of racing luggage being developed by Yoshimura for the track. (R&R'ed the original Emgo sticker with this one.)

Placement is fairly limited front to back but should give a rear passenger enough room.

Rubber pad cut from a sheet purchased at Harbor-Freight and held in place with a couple spots of rubber cement.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That thing looks awesome

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Looks good. Your next project should be to remove those warning stickers from your gas tank and fairing.
After removing the tank decal (one square millimeter at a time with my thumbnail), I decided the one on the fairing really wasn't so bad.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After removing the tank decal (one square millimeter at a time with my thumbnail), I decided the one on the fairing really wasn't so bad.
builds character.

3M makes a sticker removal spray that sometimes works. Acetone probably works but I'm always a bit afraid to put it on plastic.

Odd thought. I've been restoring old Japanese motorcycles and have paid good money buying those same decals to make it appear original.

XL350 restored

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Impressive job on that Honda!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Looks good, put some white reflective tape on that monster.

Wow, I removed mine 1/2 mm at a time, also have a permanent dent in my thumbnail. My wifes blow dryer is broken.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The stickers on the gas tank were a major pain in the ass. I used an old credit card, WD40 and a hair dryer. It saved my finger nails but I still had to chip away at the stickers piece by piece. The warning sticker on the fairing and the small sticker behind the seat came off very easily and in one piece.

I like an earlier poster's suggestion of putting some reflective tape on the top case. I think I am going to go ahead and do that to my own top case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Case looks good on the Vstom. Purchased one recently for a KLR and now looking at the new Vstrom. Good case for the money. Thanks for posting the pics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the Emgo top box on my 2014 DL650 as well, and believe or not, I had this same box for about 4 years and moved it from a previous bike. That tells you how durable it is. However, I did not believe much into secure attachment with its plate, so I bolted it directly to the rear rack (same on previous bike). The Emgo box is now about 1" lower and a bit more forward than it would have been with the attachment plate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put the same top case on my wee. The only thing that I miss from my soft bag are the the small little pockets on the sides. Have you thought of adding small pockets inside the top case at all?
Not really. I keep a pair of Bull Frogg Rain Pants from cycle gear in it. They seem to cushion anything I put in it.

It still has room to hold a full face Arai.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's the volume on that Emgo box?
16-1/2 inches wide x 12 inches deep x 12 inches tall

2376 cu. inches? About 39 liters if I did the math right. My full face Arai fits fine along with a pair of over pants, extra gloves etc.

It's on the small side compared to others.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Looks like it might fit the Givi mount plate...

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 36 Posts