StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying not to get to far ahead of myself. Get the basics sorted and go from there. Even with that approach the list is getting up there. Now my bike came with a few upgrades, so hard to say what I would have done first but so far I'm here

- Clutch chuddar - It's pretty bad on this one. Snow comes clutch goes.....
- Foot pegs - Got mud on my boots and slip sliding away. Rubbers got to go....
- Aux. Lights - Like to see and be seen....

Just curious. What were your three top mods for your bike?

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
for me.....saddlebags (givi v35 alternately E22), seat (sargent), tankbag (sw motech enduro).

and voltage monitor, center stand, fork brace, neoprene fork boots, admore light bar, pair of fiam type horns.

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
Madstad brackets...better seat, throttle lock.

·
Registered
682 Posts
... it doesn't end at 3! :) Just part of the fun.

Personally, I'd start with comfort items. Then safety/visibility, then deal with annoyances (clutch).

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Givi Screen, Sit &Fly seat cover. I changed the pegs, but more because I had them already than anything else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ergo first! New bars, Bars up/back, peg lowering, Givi airflow on Madstad bracket. Nothing sucks like discomfort after an hour of riding.

(On second thought, Safety/maintenance first: tires, brakes, chain, fluids, battery, etc.)

Other highly recommended: fork brace, heated grips, Sit & Fly cover, good phone holder & charger (so it acts like a GPS), cheap Aprilia knock-off mirrors

Start the clock for when you'll need to replace a front turn signal after a drop. I've done two in the last year.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
1. Russell Day Long Seat
2. Madstad Bracket with Moose Racing Touring Shield
3. Centerstand

·
Vendor
5,165 Posts
I have this conversation quite often,

For a Gen 1 Dl1000 IMO...

1 Taller Windscreen with a 1/2" spacer under the lower two windscreenn carrier bolts. Much cheaper than a Madstad.

Or - just go with the Givi airflow because it has 7" of adjust-ability. You don;t have to worry about getting the height just right when ordering. This screen is effectively taller and wider than its physical dimensions.

2. Rear wheel spacer fix. The sooner the better. DL1000 Rear Wheel Spacer Exchange - AdventureTech, LLC.

3. Mirror extenders (tired of looking at your shoulders?), foot peg and control lowering kit, fork brace, etc. http://www.stromtrooper.com/adventuretech-llc/389281-v-strom-essentials.html

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All good stuff. And a teachable moment. I now realize the generation of the bike changes the question. Some creature comforts seemed high on the priority list. I started with a bike that had the windshield,centerstand,luggage,barkbusters etc...

Im curious about the 1/2 inch spacers on the windscreen and what's with the rear wheel spacers? For a bike that comes with such high praise it does seem to need a fair bit of tweaking to get it sorted.
My 97 1200 Bandit was a seat and bars and done. Until I wanted more power. Like I needed it. Intake, exhaust, jetting and bigger speeding tickets.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts