StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all you mechanically-inclined guys out there~I am going on a US Tour next summer & would like to replace my tool kit with one that has more
quality. Do I get a metric or SAE set for a Wee :confused:? And any recommendations as to a quality name brand of a set that is [of course] compact?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey all you mechanically-inclined guys out there~I am going on a US Tour next summer & would like to replace my tool kit with one that has more
quality. Do I get a metric or SAE set for a Wee :confused:? And any recommendations as to a quality name brand of a set that is [of course] compact?
Everything on the Wee is metric. You can get a toolkit like this one:

RoadTech M3 Tool Roll - Tool Kits - Tools - Prevent or Repair :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

...but you could put something like this together for 1/2 the price yourself from Home Depot or Lowe's. A good approach is to think of all possible repairs you want to be able to do on the road, and then list out all tools you'd need to do those repairs.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Make sure you have the ability to take off tires
Front axle big rear axle nut

Old dirt rider trick take a smaller vise grip and let her ride attached to a frame rail.

Take ekectical tape, and or carefully wrap it on a frame rail create its own roll.

A set of screw hose clamps many uses and as temp attachment etc.

Like 20 feet of 10G wire

Thread tire plug and little compressor fr4om slime at walmart

Most important
VISA CARD

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It can be a good idea to add some tools to the kit like a small socket set, box end wrenches and a tool to take off the front axle. I don't see a reason the replace any tools in the kit though. They won't get a lot of use and the spark plug tool may be the best one available to get to the front plug past the radiator.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Why?

All your likely going to need is a credit card.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
The gizmo Mrs. Suzuki forgot to give us

The tool to aid in removal of the front axle is a 12 millimeter Allen key.

This is an L-shaped hunk of metal with a hexagonal cross section
and a 12-millimeter diameter. You do not actually need the whole tool,
just a couple of centimeters of it, so you can put it in the hexagonal
hole at the right end of the front axle, & turn it with a 12-mm wrench.

I do not suggest you buy one of these and then hack off a chunk of it,
because a good one is made of *really* hard metal, and is hard to cut.

I don't know why she forgot it. If I meet her I will ask her about this.

Keith

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
would like to replace my tool kit with one that has more quality.
There isn't anything you can get off the shelf that will do everything you might want to do, and that includes the OEM kit.

As Greywolf said, the hinged OEM spark plug tool is invaluable, but it's also likely you won't ever need to use it outside normal maintenance intervals.

Personally, I've got an 8x8x12 inch mechanic's bag filled with tools and it lives on the bike. And guys like Jstrom are happy with just carrying a credit card.

I look at it like JPK does. I carry all the tools for jobs I'm willing to do on the side of the road, if necessary.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You won't use most of the tools in a ready-made set, and that's just cost/weight/space for no use. The tools in the bike's kit are OK, and you can use those sizes to buy better ones of the same sizes:
10 mm
12 mm
14 mm
(?) 17 mm
better pliers
3/8" drive ratchet wrench and 10,12,14 mm sockets
whatever size fits the rear axle
12 mm hex for the front axle
good kit of metric hex keys (Allen wrenches)

I use my flex-head gear wrench ratcheting combination end wrenches a lot. I'd buy those in the sizes above.

Add some nitrile (rubber) gloves so you aren't putting greasy hands into riding gloves, maybe a small tube of waterless hand cleaner, and blue Loctite. Some shop towels.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
tools ?

What for ? Vstrom don't need much roadside repair.
If it won't go you probably can't fix it unless you're skilled both with tools and diagnostics and have every needed spare part packed. Better to have a roadside assistance membership with a motor league than spend money for unnecessary tools. In case of a minor tip-over a good multi-tool like SOG, some wire, tape and zip ties might be useful to secure some damaged parts until replacement.
Keep these numbers in your cell phone just in case to contact Suzuki Canada so you can locate the nearest dealer 1 905 889-2766 and 1 714 572-1490 for Suzuki USA.

·
Registered
22,342 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx Men!

:thumbup:THANK YOU ALL for all of the great information! I'll keep my original stuff, add a hinged OEM spark plug tool & a credit card!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SUZUKI PHONE #'s

Oh, 568v8 ~ thanks for those phone numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Many thanks!

All of your suggestions are a big help. It is a lot easier to work from the experience of others than to "re-discover the wheel" on my own. :thumbup:

·
Registered
22,342 Posts
I have a soft tool box in one of my sidecases, in total, its prolly 3 litres in size

one portion I dedicate to my ram mount components & comm equipment, another to tools, an allen set with a ball on the long ends 3 or 4 combo wrenches 8, 10, 12 mm pair of tire spoons, small ball peen, hand impact driver
the base seaction, I have a multimeter, klein sissors & knife, electrical tape, dielectric grease, electrical cleaner, wire, zip ties, duct tape wd40, lock deicer, a few other things, surprising how much you can fit in a small space, I be it weights 20+ lbs.

gas tank putty, is the simplest, cleanest way to carry & use epoxy

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts