StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the factory tools that come with the bike, what other tools do you carry?
I am wondering because the more I get into adding Farkles and see tool tubes and the such, I am wondering what would be beneficial to carry for trips and everyday riding?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Some type of flashlight - one of the LED types would be a good one.

A small first kit is going in the Chase Harper bag today!! Got stung by a bee on Sunday, and had nothing to put on it... :(

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the Mini-mag lite already and a Petzl Taktika Head lamp. Did you get stung on/off the bike? Buddy of mine rides a vulcan and a beenie style helmet, catches bugs in the cheek all the time. I just laugh through my full face as he's rubbing it out/off! :p

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I carry a socket set with an extension, tire plugs and tool, an electric air pump and a wrench for my after market 27mm axle nut in the under seat tray. A needle nose pliers with side cutters, electrical tape, extra fuses, wire and wire nuts are in the storage tube.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
tools ??

Nearly 40,000 km on the Vee and I used tools only once ( to tighten my nearly worn out chain ) while on a trip. I do carry lots, but probably my a good quality SOG multi-tool is all I should need. Vstroms are for riding .... anyone wanting to play with tools should get a Harley.
I do use a mini flashlight often but don't count it as a tool.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Did you get stung on/off the bike?
While riding. It got stuck where my helmet strap crosses my neck, and got me good!! :(

·
Banned
307 Posts
Besides the factory tools that come with the bike, what other tools do you carry?
I am wondering because the more I get into adding Farkles and see tool tubes and the such, I am wondering what would be beneficial to carry for trips and everyday riding?
i carry something to fix a flat tire and air it back up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I do carry basic tools, tire repair kit and a mini tire pump. The only time i used it is when I stop to help a fellow rider. He was riding a Harley. It felt good to help out an other wise stranded rider. Funny thing, I always wanted a Harley.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Funny thing, I always wanted a Harley
Aren't you glad you didn't get one - they get flat tires all the time!! :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
anyone wanting to play with tools should get a Harley.
I carry roughly the same tools on the V-Strom as I do on the Harley. I haven't needed many of them with either bike. I guess a cell phone and a credit card should suffice with most modern bikes.

The one tool I have used on both bikes is the mini volt meter from Radio Shack.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Holy crap...How's this for a full compliment of tools? Its not my list but there are some interesting things included...

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

21. Upgrade your tool kit.The tool kit in most motorcycles are at best junk. Use the tool kit as a guide and purchase quality replacement tools from Snap-On or Sears' Craftsman. Also add a compact digital voltmeter (Radio Shack sells a pocket model for less than $20) and a ratchet and socket set. In May of 1997, the late, great Ron Major published to the LD Riders list what is undoubtedly the most comprehensive tool listing ever devised:

ALL:

In my leather Travelcade tool bag, 4 X 5 1/2 X 11 inches:

10 in. Channelock pliers
6 in. Channelock pliers
6 in. needle nose pliers
5 in. flush cutting wire cutters
5 in. wire strippers
6 in. locking surgical forceps
4 in. 1/8 flat blade screwdriver
4 1/2 3/16 flat blade screwdriver
4 in. 00 Phillips screwdriver
6 in. #1 Phillips screwdriver
7 1/2 in. #2 Phillips screwdriver
7 1/2 in. 1/4 in. flat screwdriver
Xcelite four way driver
Magnet, general use, small
6 in. Crescent Wrench
Short 1/2 - 9/16 in. open end wrench
M 10 X M 11 open end wrench
M 12 X M 14 open end wrench
M 10 X M 11 box end wrench
M 12 X M 14 box end wrench
M 17 X M 19 box end wrench
MAC combination six point Flex Box End/Open End, M 10, M 12, M 14, M 17 wrenches
4 oz. ball pien hammer, with handle shortened to 7 in.
M 5 hex key - short arm
M 6 hex key - short arm
M 5 Ball end hex key - "T" handle - 8 in.
Machinist's scribe, self storing point
6 Straight edge razor blades
6 C.C. tube of Locktite
6 Oz. tube of RTV clear silicone sealer
Two Tube 5 Minute Epoxy
Zip-lock bag of Anti-Seize Compound
Zip-lock bag of rear spline lube, Honda 60% moly paste (for rear tire change)
The two above items stored in 35 MM film containers, clean, dry, protected!
Top quality padlock - with keys
2 spare electric vest wire connectors - wired
12 feet of two conductor electric wire
35-40 small zip ties - 3 1/2 in.
12 medium zip ties - 8 in.
8 in. Tire Iron
6 electricians tapes, roll ends only, very easy to carry/use
12 Pre-Packaged alcohol wipes, for general clean-up
6 Pre-packaged "Handy-Towels" for your hands, etc.
clean up towels, terrycloth

ALL - Snap-On, Craftsman, Mac, Xelite, etc., PROFESSIONAL TOOLS!

Not In The Above Kit:

Stock ST1100A Honda Tool-kit
siphon hose, 5 /16 in. I.D., 6 feet long
1/4 in. Nylon rope, 15 feet long
12 in. Crescent Wrench
M 5, M 6 long arm, ball end hex drivers
Spare fuses for "EVERYTHING"
Re-chargable, 2-D Cell flashlight
AA cell Maglight, on neck lanyard, for walking bonuses/back-up
Two AAA cell Maglights
Eye glass repair kit
Sewing kit
Safety pins
Lensatic, Engineer Compass
2 Magnifying glasses, 2X, and 5X
Small mirror
Swiss Army Knife
Wavetek, DM78A Digital Multimeter
Digital tire gauge
Spare keys for "everything"
6 new Micro-Point ball point pens
MANY spare batteries for flashlights, clock/timers, shaver, Screaming-Meanies!
Buck TITANIUM locking blade knife, 3 3/4 in. blade
Spare headlight, driving light, license plate, and other bulbs
Spare throttle cables
These items are ALWAYS in my ST1100!
AND the MOST IMPORTANT ITEM: The Skill, Knowlege, and Ability to use them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
big tool kit

Heavy's an engineer and takes things apart just to see how they work so he needs lots of tools. Therefore he needs a big tool kit just to play with even if his bike doesn't need fixing.
Unlike some of us, he also knows how to use his tools. He's worked on my VEE and I welcome his help.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
But I whine pretty bad when it comes to chain lube!

Heavy's an engineer and takes things apart just to see how they work so he needs lots of tools. Therefore he needs a big tool kit just to play with even if his bike doesn't need fixing.
Unlike some of us, he also knows how to use his tools. He's worked on my VEE and I welcome his help.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heavy,

WOW!!! That is quite the tool list. I aksed this question because I understood the "simple" fix stock tool kit was good for the back yard/garage fixes. My concern was for when "Mr Murphy" brings out the tube of K-Y and feeds it to me away from home!

I will definately return to this thread to update my tool kit once the snow flies here. I'll have new tires for the next season in the spring and want to do some longer rides.

:var_8:That's what i was looking for and started to wonder if the thread was going to give me what you did. Thanks, hope this helps others with the same question.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I carry a first aid kit in the tank bag. For tools I carry these, though I've added a few things, such as tire irons. This fits in the tube except the webbing and tire repair kit is also carried under the seat and I know have a Slime electric pump. Summary: replaced the OEM wrenches, added better pliers an adjustable and vise grips.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts