StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made one of those nice homemade tool tubes out of PVC tubing and got it mounted nicely. Looks like all the other tubes people make, but after installing it I got to thinking... :confused: ... should this thing have a small vent hole drilled into it or not? The tube seems to be completely watertight/waterproof the way it is and I'd imagine the hot weather is going to make the inside expand and whatnot. Also, would it be smart to keep my Dupont Oil spray can inside it?

Vent Hole: Yes or No?

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
No vent hole in mine but I don't keep an aerosol can in it either. You're probably fine.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would put a small drain/vent hole in the lowest part/corner. That way it's easier to get your lid on and off, it will vent when the air inside expands in the summer heat, and if you ever get a leak or get condensation inside it will be able to drain.

My .02

·
Registered
30 Posts
Made one of those nice homemade tool tubes out of PVC tubing and got it mounted nicely. Looks like all the other tubes people make, but after installing it I got to thinking... :confused: ... should this thing have a small vent hole drilled into it or not? The tube seems to be completely watertight/waterproof the way it is and I'd imagine the hot weather is going to make the inside expand and whatnot. Also, would it be smart to keep my Dupont Oil spray can inside it?

Vent Hole: Yes or No?
No vent hole in mine, been carrying spray chain lube in Florida heat with no issues. I doubt your mounting holes are air tight anyway.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I think the only thing you for which you might want ventilation would be condensation.

Do you plan on filling it with expensive Cuban cigars or some other humidistatically sensitive cargo?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't have a vent hole, and mine seems to stay condensation free, and doesn't pop off or violently explode or whatnot. Don't overthink it :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay... no vent hole.

Thread over.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
267 Posts
After looking (.)(.) at your pictures I like your tank bag what brand is this :confused:
Thanks

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After looking (.)(.) at your pictures I like your tank bag what brand is this :confused:
Thanks
Doug44, that is the Firstgear Laguna tank bag.

Firstgear Laguna GPS Tank Bag with Backpack - 2010 - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

It is really big and holds lots of stuff. It has four very strong magnets that almost defy physics. I also have the lashing strap permanently wrapped around the triple tree area and simply snap it into place. Needles to say the bag is NOT coming off the bike easily. The bag also has a flip up GPS holder, but I don't use it. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think the thread is allowed to be over until you tell us what type of oil you carry and if your tube has affected the buffeting. :fineprint:
I didn't know the bike needed any oil other than what it came with... hmmmm :confused: I think we need a big oil thread. :yesnod:

As for the buffeting: I mostly prefer proper sit-down type restaurants the most, but an occasion Golden Corral, Sizzler, or Old Country Buffet will do while traveling.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I didn't know the bike needed any oil other than what it came with... hmmmm :confused: I think we need a big oil thread. :yesnod:

As for the buffeting: I mostly prefer proper sit-down type restaurants the most, but an occasion Golden Corral, Sizzler, or Old Country Buffet will do while traveling.
I'm pretty sure there already is a BIG oil thread. :var_6:

LOL.

Mmmmmm..... Golden Corral would hit the spot right now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts