StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to have to buy or fabricate some sort of tool tube/tool box to fit with the OEM miniscule side cases. I'm just beginning my search so I thought I would post a thread of inquiry to see if anybody here has come up with any good ideas. There are a plethora of great ideas for the larger cases with aftermarket racks; but, I'm hoping we can get some ideas for those of us with the ole side thimble cases. Heck, if I get a couple of good ideas I may ad one to each side. If you are a poster who has some uncontrollable desire to post something really inane like, "pack lighter" or "why do you need that?", then start another thread about how dumb people are who don't do things the way you do them.

Here is a picture of the side cases I reference.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The prior owner of my bike used hose clamps to clamp a piece of PVC tubing to the front top of the skid plate. One end is caped and the other has a threaded fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
Have you tried fabric tool rolls? They pack the smallest of any option I know of. What is your tool load out? Here is the majority of mine, plus I carry a mini compressor, a tire repair kit, a wire stripper/crimper, a short 1/2" breaker bar for the front axle nut, and three tire levers including a 16" one. It all fits under the passenger seat of my vee along with some tye wraps, some fuel line and a couple clamps and electrical connectors.

I do always have trouble finding a good [place for my chain lube can and extra oil on a long trip.

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
My tool tube is attached to the inside of the saddle bag frame on the left side.
That's easy if you have only one exhaust.
On my BMW G650GS I attached it to the bottom of the factory saddle bag. I reinforced the bag with some extruded aluminum stock.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
$5.49 Agri Supply tractor manual holder and a zippered cloth tool pouch from Home depot.

Carb cleaner takes the yellow paint off and then you have a $27.99 Twisted Throttle "Dry spec" tool tube.

To offset shipping costs order 3 or 4 of the manual holders and sell them to your buddies for $10 each. Or keep them for yourself as they are handy little devils. Great for holding MSR fuel bottles or a fifth of whiskey.

On my GS I could not find a good way to install a manual holder so I moved the tools into 2 small zippered camera cases about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes. Hex drives sockets into a 9" length of .065 wall SS that doubles as and extension for the stubby ratchet. Stubby ratchet stubby multi screwdriver and stubby combo wrenches in one case. Tire plug kit and wheel adapter in the other as well as a small razor knife and some other assorted goodies.

Everything is pickup very small and you can throw in the bottom of a pannier and pack stuff over it. I also have a small pelican case in place of the pillion seat that houses these tool bags a can of pledge (too cheap to buy face shield and windscreen cleaner) along wit a couple micro fiber towels. Mini air compressor is under the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
not really pretty, but works great. The cap outs friction fit and never comes loose.

Relax and have a homebrew.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Does the wee, and later generation bikes have less space under the seat? The cavity at the back on my vee is so big, I have all those tools I mentioned above and room to spare. I can't see why anyone would need a tool tube or another location for tools. It's like a clown car under there. They just need to be in small ish organizer pouches.

PerazziMx14 all that stuff except the pledge, plus the factory tools could easily fit under the seat on my vee. And really, I think the pledge could fit too, but it would be a bit inconvenient.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
On my BMW G650GS I attached it to the bottom of the factory saddle bag. I reinforced the bag with some extruded aluminum stock.
This is exactly what I've been contemplating. I've considered using a small Pelican box I have that is currently unused, reinforcing the bag/case and mounting it on the rear, angled, portion of the left side bag.

For those not in the know, the factory bags shown in my picture (the type which are the specific subject of this thread) do not have the space behind the racks like others whereby one can mount a tool tube or tool kit between the rack and the bike.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Could something be mounted under the rear rack, under the top box? Just thinking that once you find/ buy/ build/ refashion something that holds the tools you need, it could be secured to the underside of the rear rack. It would have to be fairly thin to avoid hiding the tail light, however.

·
Registered
897 Posts
AH, sorry I misunderstood that you specifically wanted to mount something externally, I thought you were looking for options to better organize your tools inside the bags.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could something be mounted under the rear rack, under the top box? Just thinking that once you find/ buy/ build/ refashion something that holds the tools you need, it could be secured to the underside of the rear rack. It would have to be fairly thin to avoid hiding the tail light, however.
Only something very narrow as it would obscure the brake light.

AH, sorry I misunderstood that you specifically wanted to mount something externally, I thought you were looking for options to better organize your tools inside the bags.
No problem vanislejay. I just wanted to clarify. It doesn't hurt to have multiple options pictured for those in the future who stumble across such threads.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Does the wee, and later generation bikes have less space under the seat? The cavity at the back on my vee is so big, I have all those tools I mentioned above and room to spare. I can't see why anyone would need a tool tube or another location for tools. It's like a clown car under there. They just need to be in small ish organizer pouches.

PerazziMx14 all that stuff except the pledge, plus the factory tools could easily fit under the seat on my vee. And really, I think the pledge could fit too, but it would be a bit inconvenient.

I agree. I had a Sargent seat on my DL650 that had a tool/tube built into it. Not sure why all manufacturers don't do this and also the space under the seat was like a cavern and being able to store tons of stuff. Especially in comparison to looking under the seat of an Italian bike. Lucky to have enough space to house your registration card

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
Tool Tubes.........

Old thread, but there lots and lots of Tool Tube Threads out there, so I will "pile on" here.
I have had a 4" diameter x 18"L PVC Tube on the left side between my Happy Trails Rack and the fender/tire area, for years now, and am happy with it. Has the plumbers "clean out" cap (not the screwed-on cap) with cable and padlock. I am looking for other storage areas on the bike for a very long trip coming up next June......far away from home, extreme hot and cold temps (which means different riding apparel), camping as much as I can stand, and trying to prepare the best I can for any repairs (carrying spares, tools, and repair equip). You have probably guess where I am headed...…..AL2AK2AL.
I use a Pelican Topbox…...not a huge box, but Medium sized (I would say....maybe I should have installed a larger box). I found that my local Lowes carries Square 4" Plastic Hollow Fence Posts.....comes in 72" lengths, $21 (I think it was). They have glue-on caps. I am testing a 15" long section mounted on each side of the Pelican Box......that will house my bike cover, and probably a cooling vest, or heated vest depending on temps. The flat surface makes mounting the square tube easy to the Pelican. One end of the square tube will have a glued-on endcap, the other will be a fabricated hinge cap, with small padlock. I'm hoping the thickness (about .125") will be sufficient to withstand the pounding of riding 10,000 miles?? They will be painted black, to blend in with the Pelican Box.
I may even replace the round tube with one of these square units. The volume of a 4"x 4" x 15"L tube is 22% MORE than its 4" round counterpart.
Will post pics when completed, but I have other Vstrom Projects taking precedence...…...stay tuned.
mark444

p.s. they also sell 5" x 5" plastic hollow fence posts at Lowes...….that size was just bigger than I wanted.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My bike came with the tool tube pictured in Post 5 - but I decided it was too small. I then made one w/ 4" PVC pipe - the white stuff. I mounted it between the side case and the bike on the left side as already mentioned, and it seemed like it would not hit anything. However, a couple of weeks riding and I discovered that it hit the chain guard and pushed the guard against the chain. Back to the drawing board. Second iteration was to use the lighter weight PVC pipe used for downspouts and such - Hopot carries it and it is green with an end cap and plumbers test T plug to close it off. Since the outside dimensions were nearly the same as 4" PVC, after gluing the cap on one end, I heated the cap and pipe with a hair dryer, pressed it against the floor and flattened (somewhat) one end. NOW the tube cleared the chain guard.

My point in all this is you can heat and form PVC pipe to fit the surface to which it will be secured. I like the tool tube behind the front wheel. My original screw cap was too hard to turn so I made a plywood wrench that I kept in my top box. When I changed to the plumbers test plug, I unscrewed the wing nut and put a regular nut on the bolt. The appropriate wrench lives in my top box. When tightened, it is impossible to remove the plug w/o a wrench.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I got my tool tubes from the Tractor store (Agri supply) but in all black. they were like $3.49 each plus shipping.
with everything they cost about $12 to $15. hardware included. Currently I have them for my winter gloves or a helmet
cable lock, and the other side serves as a small tool pouch holder. But can be switched out for other items as needs arise.
These pics show mounting which is attached to my Shad 23 side cases.
DSCN0424_LI.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
There is a lot of room on the left

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
There are more threads involving tool tubes. Some guys have made their own to suit their particular needs.
I did the round tube thing but the Square fence post from Lowes sounds like a winner. As the guy pointed out the square 5" fence post tube has a lot more room in it than a 4" round tube.
If you are looking for storage that route might be the idea solution. If you just want a place to house your documents the tractor tube may suffice.
I've got a set of Shad racks as pictured above. There is so much room on the left side I could probably fit a large tube there that would hold a few blow up sheep. Just speculating of course.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts