StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a standard plastic tool tube with the-screw on lid on a 2014-2016 V-Strom 1000 without the side case racks?

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind - got it and it looks OEM.

·
Premium Member
4,227 Posts
I thought about doing that, but it wouldn't fit under my Givi racks unless it was small and rectangular in shape, then I added an oiler behind there and reduced the space even further, oh well.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Reactions: Vhawg and Allytrash

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Maybe I should patent it. lol

Reactions: We2V2

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually have my tools in a Givi V47 top case locked but keep some rags and DuPont Chainsaver in the tool tube.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I still haven't figured out a way to mount mine without the racks.

Reactions: wingstrom

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep - I have racks on my 650 to attach to.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Had my homemade behind the rack. Did notice a bunch of movement with it being full of tools and all. Moved it to the front of the rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
I actually have my tools in a Givi V47 top case locked but keep some rags and DuPont Chainsaver in the tool tube.

FWIW I also ride a DR650 and carry tooo many tools....the little factory tube is comfortably stuffed but i also carry 2 tyre levers and a beadbreaker and some other stuff tightly wrapped in a re-useable supermarket bag that goes on the topbox.
i,m finding that the heavy levers and beadbreaker etc are bouncing around in the topbox are wearing through the bag. Theres a very real danger my juicebox and mueslie bars will get crushed too! LOL! ( aside from camera/phone/gps or whatever else is in the topbox ) No matter how well and thoughtfully its packed, a few bumps and rattles and the heavy tools rearrange the contents!
In any case (no pun intended) I not believe that a "tool roll" or similar tightly secured to the frame/rack/seat etc is a better arrangement when going off road. I even notice on the V2 with road use, that the damn topbox items somehow "rotate" ! Its very strange.. I can only guess that repeated acceleration forces the items on the top to move rearwards and start theie cyclic journey ;)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
That's exactly why I went with the ABS pipe. Thick as a brick and the glue on end caps have O rings. On another note, I got a PM from a member about colour matching. I've painted my Tube and helmet and have now found a near perfect tan colour match. Spray bomb from Chrysler Jeep. (JFD) Sahara Tan E05163660AA.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I actually attached small D rings inside my topcase to when I carry the tools they are secured to the side of the box with straps. While this keeps them from moving around there is still some vibration which can take place and in one instance did a small number on the inside of my case where the tire iron just wore against the AL, all the sparkly stuff made it look like a rave took place in the top case.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Have had both the thermos type and the ABS type. Lost the cap from both and a bunch of tools. Only took ten years to finally drill and put a screw in. DOH!

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Have had both the thermos type and the ABS type. Lost the cap from both and a bunch of tools. Only took ten years to finally drill and put a screw in. DOH!
I check the lid on mine before every ride and during a long ride, so far never came so much as loose.

·
Registered
529 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
May pull trigger and buy one. Pretty cheap, and cool. Just wondering about best way to secure it. Maybe Zip ties?
Well it's MOLLE so there are pretty much infinite mounting options as any nylon strapping should work. I'm gonna pick one up as well!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts