StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If you use the ultraviolet resistant variety, they last for many years outdoors. I also buy the 3 foot long size, biggest I know about.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Heh.. not sure about a tool tube. But make sure the aluminium strap that your fuel bottle is strapped to is thick enough to not experience metal fatigue and snap while on the highway...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
710 Posts
And while you're at it make sure you zip up your tank bag so your camera doesn't disappear.
Oh, if you use the pucks sold by Happy Trails or whatever their name is to hold your panniers onto the racks, do tighten the the fasteners now and then. The Pelicans slide along nicely on the road surface at 120 Kph, but if you don't sense them falling off, that is of little value.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
I got stainless hose clamps from the Hardware store. Tie wraps are not for securing heavy stuff. Still, checking on the loose able stuff occasionally may be a good idea.
I've had saddle bags leave the bike before. Fortunately I noticed and retrieved them.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I got stainless hose clamps from the Hardware store. Tie wraps are not for securing heavy stuff. Still, checking on the loose able stuff occasionally may be a good idea.
I've had saddle bags leave the bike before. Fortunately I noticed and retrieved them.
Some tie wraps are fine for heavy stuff, but they are not easy to find. I've had a few holding antenna masts for close to ten years.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I used nuts and bolts and sheet steel for my tube on the DL650. On my DRZ I went the pipe strap method, painted and plasticoated. Not a big fan of zip ties other than for temp stuff. The pipe straps are perfect, or would be if they came in stainless. Well, they probably do but not found at Home Depot.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I used nuts and bolts and sheet steel for my tube on the DL650. On my DRZ I went the pipe strap method, painted and plasticoated. Not a big fan of zip ties other than for temp stuff. The pipe straps are perfect, or would be if they came in stainless. Well, they probably do but not found at Home Depot.
Cable ties and pipe straps both do come in stainless ... but be careful when you trim the cable ties the ends are SHARP. :headbang:

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
At least tool tubes are dirt cheap in the USA. I bought a couple from a farm supply store whilst on holiday there - less than $5 each if I recall correctly.

The problem is - what expensive things did you have in the tube?

EDIT: Here we are:

Whilst I was visiting the States, I bought a large manual storage canister from Agri-Supply. Cost $5.

Large Manual Canister

·
Registered
271 Posts
Zip ties have a life span, if you put the zip ties on a maintenance schedule you should have no problems. $3 a year for replacing zip ties shouldn't break the bank. I also prefer Panduit brand zip ties.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
237 Posts
Corollary:

Make sure the lid to your tool tube is threaded on correctly and tightly.

In my locale, caps are not sold as a separate piece.
:fineprint: I made a PVC tool tube. After losing about 5 caps when I forgot to put it (them) back on after getting my straps out, I said f*** it, and made a hinged aluminum box instead so when I forget to close it, nothing falls out and I don't lose the lid :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
:fineprint: I made a PVC tool tube. After losing about 5 caps when I forgot to put it (them) back on after getting my straps out, I said f*** it, and made a hinged aluminum box instead so when I forget to close it, nothing falls out and I don't lose the lid :mrgreen:
Solution!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts