1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
965 Posts
The cap on my tool tube is difficult to open after it's been closed for awhile.

Here's a video to 'splain better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LghhqA0tgw

Suggestions?
I have a very similar cap but with a small square part.

You mentioned di-electric grease in the vid. Can use that or put a light mist of silcone spray on the threads.
I noticed you have a can of some sort of aerosol spray in the tube. If it's chain lube try a little of that.

I don't want for mine to be easily removed. so I have a homemade wrench under my seat.

Good luck

Ken

·
Registered
07 DL650
207 Posts
I scewed a wire cabinet pull... the simple elongated U-type... to the lid and it gives me a lot more leverage to twist the cap off. I couldn't even get it off with a strap wrench before. Now it pops right open.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I have a couple of ideas.

1) There are a lot of threads there, hence a lot of friction.
With a dremel tool or other grinder remove half of the threads from the plug.

2) The threads are likely cast, not machined. They are also not designed to be removed over and over again, usually a sewer pipe cap gets removed once every 3 years or so, maybe less. So--another thought is to clean up the threads some. Could try some valve grinding compound--install and remove the cap several times, this would make the threads more smooth. Then clean and lubricate.

3) I would guess that vaseline or silicone spray lube would be the best choices--just a guess!

The other suggestions for making/using a wrench are good ones, too.
In fact, maybe you should use the wrench to install the cap so that your tools don't 'grow feet'.
Locks-keeping honest folk honest for a long, long time...

I've got a couple of ideas for easy wrenches without having to haul around a pipe wrench for that 2-inch square--if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I used a flush fitting plug from Lowes that uses a wingnut. You tighten the wingunt and it expands a rubber ring to secure it to the tool tube. I drilled a small hole in the bolt and insert a pin to keep the nut from backing off due to vibration. I was going to use the standard plug that most people use until I found this one. You can just make it out in the image below. It makes things much easier.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I use the same plug- it is a "test cap".
$5 well spent if you're making a tool tube. I left mine red for a day or so before finally deciding to paint it black.

SS

·
Registered
297 Posts
Painting it is a good idea. The words on the cap say "Stand back 30 feet when in use" or something like that. I always get people coming up after the bike is parked, thinking they they are going to tell me how cool and nice looking the bike is, but all they ever ask is, "what the heck is that thing?", and point to the tool tube.
Then again, common theives are typically both dumb ands cowardly, and maybe the wording would keep them from messing around with it. (at least the one that can read)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't have a solution for your tool tube problem, but I love your personalized tag :green_lol:

How did you slip that one by? :confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a solution for your tool tube problem, but I love your personalized tag :green_lol:

How did you slip that one by? :confused:
i have NO idea! i couldn't believe it when it arrived in the mail. :jawdrop:
down side is, it keeps me from riding the bike to work . . . i'm an elementary school librarian (not the horrid spinster you grew up with, am i? :thumbup:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tool Tube

I use a small strap wrench to install and remove my tool tube cap. My cap is identical and is a pain to take off after a mud bath without the strap wrench. I like the idea of using lapping compound to fix the threads and the lube.

I also use a snap pin to keep the cap from coming off. I drilled a 1/32 hole in the cap through the tube and installed the snap pin to keep the cap in place. I have seen a few tool tubes donate their contents to the open road when the cap came off unexpectedly. :yikes:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Nice can, scoops.

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My favorite tool tube setup I've seen is one disguised as a pipe. Makes a nice little smuggler's compartment.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
My cap is a little different, but this should work on most. Just a U bolt from the hardware store($1) with nuts and washers on both sides of the cap. Easy to grip and if it's stuck just put something thru it for leverage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts