StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to assemble a better tool kit for my 2014. I know this is a loaded question but what does everyone carry? The Stock kit is nearly useless IMHO.

I have 8,10,12,14,17,19 sockets and end wrenches, 3/8 T-handle, 4inch extension, JIC#2 screwdriver as well as a 8-in-1, Needle nose, 8" Cobra grip, and 6" needle nose vice grips, 8" adj, small cheater bar and flashlight.

What am I missing? I'm not a round the world rider and I'm a crappy bike mechanic so I'm not gonna be rebuilding the engine in a hotel parking lot, I'd just like to cover the basic maintenance/repair needs.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Richlandrick talked about a shorty rear axle nut wrench, would be good to have along if you have to remove a rear wheel. For the flashlight I use a headband type, adjustable beam for angle and intensity, and 2 of mine have read or white emergency flashing as well. 2 weeks ago Northern Tool was selling them for $2.49 each! I used the 1st type with the adjustments at work, so now it's in my tankbag. Keeps the hands free while working in the dark.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some further suggestions or via the search, look for toolkit
I follow the "Toolkit Thread" on ADV but that one gets kinda overwhelming, was looking more specifically for what my fellow 'Strommers are carrying.

I did forget that I have a set of allen wrenches, I need to figure out which ones I need and get rid of the unneeded ones.

I have a tire plug kit and 12V pump but no way to carry it under the seat. It usually tags along on longer trips strapped to the rack.

Duct tape, some wire, connectors, safety wire, spare master link, and fuses I consider spare parts. They are also on the bike under the seat.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Seems a little heavy on mechanical tools to me.
When I toured on my V-Strom, I carried a plug kit and compressor, a tool that I could loosen the rear axle with, the factory tools, a pair of needle nose pliers with side cutters, some stainless lock wire, and a roll of electrical tape. A tool for the front axle would also be useful, not so much if you don't have a centrestand. Don't think I've ever used any of it on the road, except for the plug kit and compressor. My V-Strom was as reliable as a stone axe over the 80,000 or so km that I had it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I toured on my V-Strom, I carried a plug kit and compressor, a tool that I could loosen the rear axle with, the factory tools, a pair of needle nose pliers with side cutters, some stainless lock wire, and a roll of electrical tape. A tool for the front axle would also be useful, not so much if you don't have a centrestand. Don't think I've ever used any of it on the road, except for the plug kit and compressor. My V-Strom was as reliable as a stone axe over the 80,000 or so km that I had it.
I probably am a little heavy but that is part of the purpose of this post. I want to have what is useful but not too overboard. I'll be looking into one of those axle tools, or something to do that job with!

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
To an extent I'd rather have it and not use it than need it and not have it. The weight and space difference of a few extra tools is so negligible.

I did make some tools duplicitous. For the rear axle nut I bought a $4 combo wrench at the local home center cut the open end off it and rounded it off with a grinder. It now serves as a tire iron on one side and axle nut removal tool on the other. Sure its heavier than the equalivant $90 alloy counterpart but for a $86 difference 4 more ounces isn't a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Tools are useful sometimes...chain lube, rag and a credit card are useful at all times!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make sure you pack zip ties of various sizes

It saved me in the middle of nowhere!
They're in the "spare parts" kit, and luggage, and tied to various points, and jacket pockets, and...... I'm a firm believer in the magical healing abilities of zip ties!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here are a few key tool kit items I carry:

Knife
Flashlight
Spare fuses
Mini jump start battery
Mini Ratchet
Air compressor
Tire plug kit
Tie wraps

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The suggestions listed above are all good!

As already mentioned, tire repair tools and chain adjustment tools (if you do longer touring) are the most likely ones you will need at some time, and wire of different properties. Make sure your compressor is powered by a minimum 15A fused connection (how do I know...). Best to test at home to make sure you can get the rear tire inflated to say minimum 30 psi.

·
Registered
552 Posts
This is pretty much what I carry. I do keep a current plug kit. If you have one you might want to stop at your local bicycle shop and pick up a few of those little tubes of rubber cement. Seems those things dry out fast so I keep a couple of new ones in the bag. I also have a CO2 inflation kit. These use those cylinders of CO2 like they use in those toy guns. Saves a lot of run time on my little compact air compressor as I just use it to top off the pressure. I don't go overboard on the tools. I find the stock tool kit has actually done most of what I have ever needed. I do have a little adjustable wrench in there and one of those compact Allen wrench sets. I don't really worry about taking a wheel off. Most likely if you have a flat its a simple puncture and you plug it on the spot and never have to remove the tire. (It has always worked out that way for me, knock on wood!)

I have been lucky. In all the years I have spent on motorcycles I have never needed much more than what I have with the factory tool kit and a few common items I have on the bike. And, BTW, my BMW's had the best tool kits I have ever seen on a bike.

Reactions: 6gun

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a pack of baby wipes in the top case. Useful for cleaning your hands after having done maintenance, but in reality used most often to clean the bugs off my visor: Douse them with water, put them on the visor for a few minutes, wipe off.

Nobody mentioned chain lube. Or do you have some sort of auto chain oiler?

I also have a very compact first aid kit under the seat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I add to that all:

Small chain breaker, 5" of chain, 3 masterlinks.

2 small 6" tire irons.

My Front axle wrench has a tire spoon on other end.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Set of allen Keys
tubeless tyre puncture repair kit.
tyre inflation equipment - CO2 bottles or 12v pump
duct tape
what he said, plus i add this to the list, only the allens that fit, extra fuzes, and zip ties. oh, $300 under the seat, and the credit card. :grin2:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I should add that the 2016 is under warranty, i also adjust what i bring based on the trip, day trip this, a week on the road? i would bring a little more, as the bike gets older, i would add tools, like the 2009 KLR has a 2 tool tubes, tire tools and a tool for every nut/bolt/allen, plus a quart of oil/radiator seal,ect..not that i'm far from service, i'm picky, i don't let anybody work on it, and i like Castrol oil 40 weight, and not every gas station has it, so i carry some supply's based on the frequency of need/use, the wee at this point is just plugs and pump, KLR? that's a whole nother thing, if i was going off road/back road, no cell service, then i carry everything i need to get out, barring a major breakdown, then i make sure my riding boots are also good hiking boots..:yesnod:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts