StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tool kit supplied by Suzuki is just a joke. A couple of dog bones and some allen keys. Makes me wonder why they bother.

A big issue for owners is the rear axle nut. It is 36mm !!!!!!! That size probably maxes out the range of 1/2" drive sockets. I ordered a 6-point from Gray Tools here in Canada. That is the max socket size for 1/2" drive Gray Tools. You then need a 3/4" drive for any bigger size.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hear you. I almost fell over when I saw the tool kit. On the other hand, the DL1000A is a lot of bike for the money, toolkit notwithstanding.

I got a 1/2" drive 36mm from CT and an 8" Channellock adjustable wrench that opens to 38mm for the road.

I'm cobbling together a custom set of travel tools and it looks like there's room under the seat for a well-stocked Kriega roll-up.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The rear axle nut is .........

Sorry, wrong bike.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Sorry. Didn't realize the forum title. That's a first for any V-Strom.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Custom Toolkit

The Vee2 OEM toolkit might be good for something, but I'm not sure what.

With that in mind, I put together a toolkit that FITS UNDER THE SEAT! The only thing missing is a snipe for the 38mm-opening crescent wrench that's going in the OEM tool pouch with the hex keys.

The zippered pouch has sockets ranging from 5mm to 13mm, a complete set of driver bits, graphite lube and locktite. The Kreiga roll is amazing!

·
Registered
268 Posts
A lot of bikes don't come with a toolkit now as so many people are mechanically challenged. Tools are relatively cheap put your own kit together that way you will be familiar with what you need and how to use it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A lot of bikes don't come with a toolkit now as so many people are mechanically challenged.
The kit is not a lot different to the one on my 2011 Busa, but that was reduced in the 2013 model. Reality is as RowBust suggest anyway. Even a GS struggles if you want to carry out much more than a light bulb change on the road.

I was pleasantly surprised how much you can actually fit under the seat. I got the standard tools, plus decent pliers and a couple of wrenches, a U-Lock, over=trousers, tyre repair kit and a towel to wipe my hands.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Break a nut...............loose

I have not checked, but you "might" be able to locate a Tire Spoon with a built-in 36mm wrench on the end?? I know they make the smaller sizes......24mm, 26mm, etc.........never looked for 36mm. :confused:

OK.........found some. Google it or look on Ebay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts