StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a couple of "one or two use" tools that all bikes seem to share: steering stem nut tool, motor mount nut tool, swingarm nut tool, etc.

Some guys make their own; others (like me) aren't that "handy" and have to buy the tool.

Kind of spendy if you're only gonna use it once (or twice...off and back on).

It'd be cool if a guy could purchase one of these tools, use it a couple times, then pass it on to the next guy. I'd suggest that next guy (and each guy/gal after him/her) would pay shipping and maybe an extra $5 to the original owner. Depending on how many times it's passed forward, the original owner might eventually be fully reimbursed. He could maybe keep track and when he's broken even, then everybody after that just pays for shipping.

Or, of course, the "next" guy could just buy the tool.

Or, of course, the original owner could donate it to the cause.

Whatever the original owner is comfortable with would seem the make the most sense.

I'd also propose that a thread be started where you guys who have these specialty tools post up what you've got so when one of us needs something, we know who to bribe. :)

I know I'll be looking for a steering stem tool and a motor mount tool in the next couple of months, so if any of you have one to lend or sell, please let us know!

(In fact, I just found the steering stem tool for my old CBR1100XX...I was hoping it would fit something on my strom, but it doesnt. so I'm gonna go post it on that forum soon!)

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
That's why god invented Harbor Freight. Inexpensive tools for that odd need that may even work more than once.
But this a great idea. I'm contemplating replacing the steering head bearings and the correct tool would be nice.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I recently piked up a set of tapered steering head bearings but have been reluctant to start the job because I don't have the specialized socket. I think I read somewhere that a blunt punch could be used so I might give that a go, time permitting.

Anyway, this tool exchange idea has crossed my mind in recent years but the cost of shipping seems to have gone through the roof, especially cross border.

I figure the valve shim kits could be beneficial to someone who wants to minimize their downtime when taking on that project. It would be on the current user to replace any shim sizes that were getting low prior to sending it on to the next guy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a steering head nut socket. Happy to loan it out if you need it. Not sure how I can make sure that I will get it back? Any suggestions?

Anyway, send me a PM. Also let me know when you will be using it, so I can choose who needs it first.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Great offer Mikeys! I'm not sure if your are referring to my post or notacop (Greg's) post or both? You could probably chuck the socket from your back porch and it would land in Greg's driveway. Probably makes sense to lend it to him, the two way shipping out of country would likely eat up most of the cost of purchasing a new one for me.

I see a seller on ebay has them for $60 Canadian. Another "one use" tool cluttering up the tool box! haha

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The only way to really make this viable is if the person want to borrow the tool puts a deposit in full amount of the tool. The lender then ships it out and once it is returned the lender deducts his end of the shipping and whatever the "usage fee" was and the rest of the deposit it returned.

It's really seems good on paper and would be nice if it were that easy but almost anytime I've lent a tool to someone it either took forever to get back, never got returned or was returned in not he same condition as when I lent it out. So now if I need a motorcycle specific tool I buy it hopefully used. Then if its truly only a one use item I'll try and resell it.

·
Administrator
5,768 Posts
It's really seems good on paper and would be nice if it were that easy but almost anytime I've lent a tool to someone it either took forever to get back, never got returned or was returned in not he same condition as when I lent it out.
Absolutely my experience as well. It is a great idea but full of potential disappointment. Another case of where the 10% spoil it for everyone else.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I loaned my "doohickey" replacement tools once to someone on the KLR board back when I rode one. Never saw them again. The loanee claimed he shipped them back. I never got them. With no tracking, I had no way to know what happened. I like to think the best of people and I don't know whether it was the fault of the person or the post office (either is believable) but at the end of the day it was a disappointing experience.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Yes, I've got quite a few of these specialized tools for my bikes.

No, I'm not loaning them out any more.

If you're anywhere near Indy, I'll bend over backwards to help, but due to similar experiences as above (never returned, "lost in the mail", damaged, returned filthy, loaned out to a second person, etc.), specialty tools no longer leave my garage with other people, unless I consider it a gift.

Also, a lot of folks have no idea how much shipping costs have increased. A "large" USPS flat rate box is up to $19.95 and the medium is $14.30. The small is $7.90, but most tools won't fit. $40 in shipping gets you pretty far along the way to your own tool.

Tool pools where you ship tools never seem to work out, but it can work if all participants are local.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking more like "I'll never use it again, so I'll just give it to somebody as long as they pay for the shipping, then pass it along for free when they're done with it."

And if anybody wanted to chip in an extra $5 or whatever to the original owner, that'd be a cool gesture as well.

In fact, last night a friend from work gave me a bucket of parts cleaner when I told him I was rebuilding the carb on my jetski. "I don't want it back!" he said. Cool, I'll pass it on to the next guy when I'm done with it. :)

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I don't loan tools, at least not to people that I don't know and trust extremely well. It was a lesson learned after I lent a pressure washer to a "friend", who returned it with a destroyed pressure hose and a big old "it sucks to be you" smile on his face. He was actually incredulous that I thought he should buy me a new hose, as if a tool returned damaged was on me for being dense enough to loan a tool in the first place.

I don't loan tools to anyone who doesn't respect the tool and the friendship as much as I do.

·
Registered
664 Posts
+1 more disappointed former tool loaner. even with tools loaned out locally I have had problems. I don't know what the answer is either. being a retired welder I make some of my special tools. you might be surprised what a determined red neck with a welder can come up with. If I have to buy a special tool it is still cheaper than having the shop work on the bike.
Maybe friendly local groups with a $ deposit would work. I am sure that there is a number of strom riders in the Phoenix area for instance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts