StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this spring, I decided to take up hobby beekeeping, bought a hive and my package of bees and a queen arrived today at a nearby (70miles) apiary. So I went to pick them up this morning on my V-strom, even though a bee package 15"wx 9"hx6"d would fit in my 1550 side case, I woulda have to left the lid ajar, on a side loader so I bought something cheap for the occasion in hopes it might work as a top box. a Sanley FatMat tool box, I bungeed it to the back to put the bees in, with the lid cracked open

I've never had problem with buffeting before, only difference on this ride from any other was the Fat Max top box, at 75mph it felt like I was in wake of truck, then I was in wake of truck. I didn't take highway on way back, I didn't think the buffeting would be good for the bees so I took a slower twistier route, even had a couple of stray bees from the apiary tag along in the tool box

· What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,697 Posts
I can WELL remember the day that I brought home my bee hives. I had two hives INSIDE a Ford Bronco II. I drove about an hour home with buzzing just behind my seat. As I drove, I kept asking myself, just how nuts I was, and what if I get in an accident? There wouldn't be one EMT that would touch my vehicle to rescue me!

The funny thing is, all of these memories came back to me today as I rode through Ellsworth on my way to Friend and Friend. A tractor trailer that was hauling bee hives, (for pollination in the blueberry barrens), was in the lane next to me. I think he had just as many bees on the outside of the protective netting covering the hives as he did on the inside of the netting!

Honey bees are truly fascinating to watch and to study. It is good of you Randy to do this. The honey bee population has significantly struggled over the last 10 years. Doing what you are doing helps!

B.

· Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Last week I ran into a swarm on my wee. It was over in a second. I took out several. Come to think of it another reason to wear your gear. It was chilly and I had my leather scarf thing on that velcros to the bottom of my helmet and keeps the wind off my neck. Good thing too.

· Registered
898 Posts
My Wee is yellow,(the faster color:mod2_tt2:) Anyway, the Bees love it!
I have had them ride on the tank for many miles, just hickhicking. Then after I stop they fly away. Always concerns me, I don't want them to fly into my helmit, Had that happen before. But I know where the dead air spot is. Right below the gas cap. They just sit there, and enjoy the ride.:thumbup:

· Until we meet again
5,434 Posts
My Wee is yellow,(the faster color:mod2_tt2:) Anyway, the Bees love it!
I have had them ride on the tank for many miles, just hickhicking.
My wife insisted that we get the yellow ATV. Had to wait longer and buy a year older model just to satisfy her color choice. She was not happy when she realized it attracted every bug possible in the woods. Bugs love yellow.

· Premium Member
2,249 Posts
She was not happy when she realized it attracted every bug possible in the woods. Bugs love yellow.
"Hey guys, check out this giant flower!"

· Cowboys aint easy to love
2,124 Posts
Time to go to bed -- I first read the thread title as "Took some beers for a ride today".

Anyway, I have a couple of acres in clover and pretty much surrounded by honeysuckle. A local beekeeper parks a few hives down next to the pond for variable periods. Never a problem, but if he makes honey that way he doesn't share it.

· Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honey bees are truly fascinating to watch and to study. It is good of you Randy to do this. The honey bee population has significantly struggled over the last 10 years. Doing what you are doing helps!

B.
last year I had zero pollination in my garden, not even any zuchinni

bees did well with the ride home, didn't seem to anger them, got stung once during the install, bee crawled underneath my t shirt, I was trying to let him out

On the ride down to te apiary, the buffeting from the top box really surprised me

· Premium Member
8,054 Posts
last year I had zero pollination in my garden, not even any zuchinni
I've got a few dwarf fruit trees (apple and peach) and no pollination for me last year either, but they came around later for other flowers and the two tomato plants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.