StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the new Strom out for about a 70km test ride today, and I have to say I am very impressed. Below are a few thoughts in comparison to my previous 2011 Vstrom 650 and current 2013 MultiStrada:

1. Power - Obviously less power than the Multi, but plenty of get up and go. Crack that throttle and she moves!! Not "I want to dislocate your shoulders" kind of power like the Multi, but it sure goes well. In fact, for someone with my level of skill, it is probably a bike you can have just as much fun on, if not more, because you can wring its neck without facing instant death, which is always fun.

2. Breaks - FANTASTiC. The breaks are, in my opinion, better than the Brembos on my Multi. Lots of bite and stops you very well. The other thing I noted is there is very little dive under breaking, which was a big thing on the Wee.

3. Sound - Still sounds like a Strom, and I love that. Would love to hear it with a Akropovic pipe.

4. Character - When I got back on the Multi I realised just how much soul that bike has, having said that, I did have a few moments that I LOL (literally) in my helmet while riding the Strom. I just love these bikes.

5. Ergos - Seat is comfy, bars are perfect, really nice to stand up on the pegs, even the screen was half decent in the lowest position. It was 32 C and I got HOT, and immediately cooled down when I got back on the Multi which has a short CF screen. So that indicated to me the screen provides a decent amount of protection.

6. Gearbox - Loved it, better than on the Multi. Light, direct, really good. Clutch is also light.

7. Suspension - Not as good as my standard (i.e. non electronic) Multi's, but not far behind. And, at the same time, a MASSIVE improvement over what it was on the old Wee. I am 100kg, and the suspension felt really good, no need to do any further work on that.

8. Steering - Definitely a lot slower than the Multi, but stable and light. I think it has a lot to do with the 17" vs 19" front wheel. Also, Multi definitely has a tighter turning circle.

9. Balance - Really well balanced. Definitely better than the old Wee, and on par with the Multi. It is very easy to crawl along at 1kph in traffic.

So, in summary, will I go out and sell my 12 month old Multi with 16,000km on it tomorrow to buy a Strom. No. However, if it got stolen for instance, and I had to replace the bike, I would more than likely buy the Strom, I think it is the perfect bike for me and for what I do with them. It is also a hell of a lot less expensive. I think Suzuki has done a great job with this bike, and they will sell many of them.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
After a few cam timing belts you may come around to the rice side of the equation:mrgreen:. I love the multi, a buddy has one:yesnod: I totally understand the shoulder thing, my first ride on his about dislocated my bad shoulder, but it took a week for the evil grin on my face to diminish.

Live is full of choices...its good we don't all make the same ones.

Quack.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a test ride yesterday, just a 30 minute ride around the back roads of Ringwood behind a chaperone.

I loved it, it looks much prettier than my Wee. The bike only had 55km on it. Most of the ride was in 3rd or 4th gear. It felt smooth, easy to ride, light handling. It felt much nicer and lighter than my 09 DL650. It's amazing how they've made the bike feel so much lighter than the previous design. Once moving all the riding was done a gear lower than I would on my 650, I never needed to rev over 4000.

At one point at a stop the gears wouldn't let me change down from 3rd to 1st, mostly though the gearbox felt great. My Wee does that occasionally but only when it's been ridden all day and the oil is getting old.

The clutch was light, brakes good.

I would love one, but... $16,490 ride away. The same shop has Triumph Tiger XC SE fully kitted with luggage, alu bash plate etc for $19,490. Both extremely expensive. But by the time I'd set up the Strom it will be about the same cost and still not as off-roadable as a Tiger XC. Unfortunately they had no demo Tiger's available. I'm torn as my Strom is great for weekends away with my wife & I know beaky would be so much better, but I would also love to do some desert riding and be able to explore Victoria's high country a lot more than I can on my current bike.

I may wait 6 months to a year or so and see if the prices of either drop or have nice extras thrown in.

For now I'll keep riding my Wee.

Suzuki Australia accesory pricing: http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/store/dual-purpose/dual-purpose/2014/2014-v-strom-1000/accessories.html

·
Registered
195 Posts
My local dealer , told me $15,500 , was the price , when i asked is that ride away , he said , we can talk about it , which suggested to me there may be a little room to move , but even so if we split the difference and say $16,000 ride away , there are things i would defintly want what i've got on my bike , they would be ,
crash bars , plastic handcovers , centre stand , top box , engine cowling , these things work out to $2000 in accesories , i've no doubt you could get them for $1500 fitted , ,. Brings the bike up to $17500 , plus the cost of side bags ,

The bike is really starting to get up in price , unless you just want basic bike . Think i'll stick with my 2012 wee , probably the best value for money bike out there ,

Although Honda seem to be coming to the party lately , look at there 500 cc range for less than 8 grand , there 700 cc for 8 grand , and there new ctx 1300 , looks like a real comfy long distance tourer for 18 grand

·
Registered
209 Posts
To the people that were able to get test rides, did the dealer offer you a test ride or did you have to ask for one? My dealer notoriously balks at offering test rides...

·
Registered
865 Posts
The bike is really starting to get up in price , unless you just want basic bike . Think i'll stick with my 2012 wee , probably the best value for money bike out there ,
Personally I think the biggest competition for the new 1 litre bike is the current Glee, and is it almost a twice as good a bike, which is what we're looking at in the UK in terms of price? Sure it'll accelerate faster, break harder, won't spin the rear wheel up if you haver the traction control on, but the only quantifiable bit that is double, is the service interval.

·
Registered
240 Posts
real comparison...

The real comparison between the 1000 and the Ducati is when you go and pay for a valve adjustment!!

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Test rode one today. Borrowed the demo bike from Avon City Suzuki in Christchurch and headed up to Kaikoura then back via the inland road through Culverden. 6hrs riding and 400km, thanks Avon City.

Engine, great, smooth even down the rev range, lots of power.
Braking geater, actually really really nice.
Suspension good enough.
Gearbox, lovely, never missed, nice positive changes.
Handling - didn't really push it but liked what I found.
Seat, better than a standard wee but I would want to rework it for comfort.
Screen, mild to moderate buffeting and would definitely need to be sorted.
Fuel economy approx 5 ltr/100kmi

Would I buy one? To trade in my 07 wee I would need to add $14,000 NZD which is quite an amount. That makes my 07 worth about $6,000 trade in value. Money aside, I'm going to stick to the wee which always brings a smile to my face and has heaps of fun left on the clock. I'll keep riding test rides as the opportunity comes along until I find a bike that has the same effect on me as the wee did when I first test rode it and knew I just had to have one. Nothing wrong with the Beak, it just doesn't have that X factor for me.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
To the people that were able to get test rides, did the dealer offer you a test ride or did you have to ask for one? My dealer notoriously balks at offering test rides...
I test rode 2. One dealer..."we've got a demo we don't advertise, want to ride it?". Other dealer had it sitting out front as an obvious demo.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a test ride yesterday, just a 30 minute ride around the back roads of Ringwood behind a chaperone.

I loved it, it looks much prettier than my Wee. The bike only had 55km on it. Most of the ride was in 3rd or 4th gear. It felt smooth, easy to ride, light handling. It felt much nicer and lighter than my 09 DL650. It's amazing how they've made the bike feel so much lighter than the previous design. Once moving all the riding was done a gear lower than I would on my 650, I never needed to rev over 4000.

At one point at a stop the gears wouldn't let me change down from 3rd to 1st, mostly though the gearbox felt great. My Wee does that occasionally but only when it's been ridden all day and the oil is getting old.

The clutch was light, brakes good.

I would love one, but... $16,490 ride away. The same shop has Triumph Tiger XC SE fully kitted with luggage, alu bash plate etc for $19,490. Both extremely expensive. But by the time I'd set up the Strom it will be about the same cost and still not as off-roadable as a Tiger XC. Unfortunately they had no demo Tiger's available. I'm torn as my Strom is great for weekends away with my wife & I know beaky would be so much better, but I would also love to do some desert riding and be able to explore Victoria's high country a lot more than I can on my current bike.

I may wait 6 months to a year or so and see if the prices of either drop or have nice extras thrown in.

For now I'll keep riding my Wee.

Suzuki Australia accesory pricing: http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/store/dual-purpose/dual-purpose/2014/2014-v-strom-1000/accessories.html
I would have considered the Triumph 800 if a test ride were available (also a KTM 1190..maybe). I did test ride the Triumph Explorer and it felt like a heavy large high center of gravity pig. After that, I told myself there was no way I'm spending more than $10k on a bike without riding it first. Suzuki wins.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
I would have considered the Triumph 800 if a test ride were available (also a KTM 1190..maybe). I did test ride the Triumph Explorer and it felt like a heavy large high center of gravity pig. After that, I told myself there was no way I'm spending more than $10k on a bike without riding it first. Suzuki wins.
I doubt you would want the 1190 as your sole bike, that is unless you don't mind not being able to ride when it has issues. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I put 20k mi on a KTM 950, and it was flawless as far as reliability. But yes, reading some of the threads on the 1190, it really seems hit or miss on a few key problems; heat getting dumped onto the riders legs and hot seat, and too many and various electrical issues. (There are others, but most of those seem fixable.)

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
I put 20k mi on a KTM 950, and it was flawless as far as reliability. But yes, reading some of the threads on the 1190, it really seems hit or miss on a few key problems; heat getting dumped onto the riders legs and hot seat, and too many and various electrical issues. (There are others, but most of those seem fixable.)
I am rooting for it although it sounds like I am not, I understand it is quite the hoot to ride and it sure has great suspension and brakes. If KTM can get close to Japanese reliability, it would sure make them pretty formidable foes in the market. Never could understand why the European makers have such hit or miss issues with electrical or electronics, although the Vee's are not null and void from stator and rectifier issues. ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Test rode one today. Borrowed the demo bike from Avon City Suzuki in Christchurch and headed up to Kaikoura then back via the inland road through Culverden. 6hrs riding and 400km, thanks Avon City.

o have one. Nothing wrong with the Beak, it just doesn't have that X factor for me.
I bought mine second hand from them at 1900km. They gave me a fly ride deal as well. Done over 3000km now and all good. Goes like a cut cat. Thought the motor was noisy until I sat on my mates SV!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts