StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my oil today (with Rotella T6). Don't worry, this isn't a question about "oil types", I'm just worried whether I over-filled. I think I recall Greywolf saying he just puts in a full 3qts if changing out the oil filter too. Well, I changed out the filter too, then emptied the large (3.875qt) T6 oil jug down to the 1qt mark. So I that should be 2.875 qts in the bike. But after running the bike a while and letting the oil circulate, I notice in the sight glass that my oil level goes up to the top of the sight glass (and perhaps beyond - can't see any further than the glass, right?) when I stand the bike upright. So did I put a bit too much oil in or am I ok? Will it cause any damage if I have just slightly too much oil put in?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Take it off the center stand if you are using one, and put it on the side stand. Then look at the glass, it should look empty. Then kneel beside the bike and pull the right grip toward you with your right hand. You should be able to get a good idea of how much it is over full.

You did put a bit too much in. I have overfilled just beyond the top of the sight glass and left it that way. Probably a few ounces. I left it, and it caused no issues. Recently I was in the air box, and there was no oil residue at all in there. That is where I would expect to see it show up, and this is the first bike I have seen with a totally dry air box. :fineprint:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The Rotella jug is 1 gallon/4qts/3.785 liters. You put 3qts into the bike. The capacity is 2.9qts so it is a little over. Lots of people do the same thing. It's not a big deal. BTW, I have a larger filter than stock so 3qts is about right. I also have a 13mm lower front end so the level for the correct amount of oil will look a little high. I hadn't thought about that until somebody else mentioned it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Draining the oil with the bike on the center stand (assuming you have one) will leave more oil in the engine than if you drain it with the bike on the side stand. That could also lead to slightly overfilling the crankcase.

I've made several attempts to verify where the oil level appears in the sight glass with the bike perfectly level after refilling with exactly 2.9 qts. (And after running the bike a while and then letting it cool to ambient temp.) My conclusion is that the oil level in the sight glass will be about 2/3 of the way up from the low line toward the full line. In other words, 2/3rds of the space between the low and full lines will be filled with oil.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've also learned to not be too hasty replacing the drain plug or there will be a few ounces of oil left. Last time I changed oil I let it drain until there was a very slow drip. I got sidetracked for a few minutes and lo and behold a steady stream of oil reappeared. (I suspect the oil was hung up in the prostate bearing :)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I've also learned to not be too hasty replacing the drain plug or there will be a few ounces of oil left. Last time I changed oil I let it drain until there was a very slow drip. I got sidetracked for a few minutes and lo and behold a steady stream of oil reappeared. (I suspect the oil was hung up in the prostate bearing :)
Old bikes and old guys:green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
oil change

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I changed my oil. I had a drop coming out about every four seconds. Then I went off for ten or so minutes to do something else. When I came back to put the drain plug back in there was a study narrow stream of oil coming out. I added oil and it took more than an oil chainge without filter should have taken. From now on I will let it sit draining for a half hour or more to see if it will do it again. The more I get out the better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops, I meant I put in 2.875 liters (not qts). I don't have a center stand, just put a bunch of wood under the side stand when I was filling it. When it's down on the side stand (no wood) I don't see any oil. When I lift the bike up about 1/2 way from it's leaning position the sight glass is about 1/2 way up, but when I put the bike exactly perpendicular to the ground, the oil goes above the sight glass - probably by an 1/8 of an inch. Should I loosen the oil filter and let some run out??? If too much runs out, I still have the liter left in my Rottela jug.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Oops, I meant I put in 2.875 liters (not qts). I don't have a center stand, just put a bunch of wood under the side stand when I was filling it. When it's down on the side stand (no wood) I don't see any oil. When I lift the bike up about 1/2 way from it's leaning position the sight glass is about 1/2 way up, but when I put the bike exactly perpendicular to the ground, the oil goes above the sight glass - probably by an 1/8 of an inch. Should I loosen the oil filter and let some run out??? If too much runs out, I still have the liter left in my Rottela jug.
I wouldn't worry about being over by that amount. If you want to lower the oil level do it from the filler hole. I think you can do it this way. Put a clean plastic tube into the hole and put your finger tightly over the end of the tube and pull it out. Repeat until you like the results.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Should I loosen the oil filter and let some run out??? If too much runs out, I still have the liter left in my Rottela jug.
Speaking as a guy who is known to occasionally obsess in this manner, I say as a kindred spirit, and without a hint of condescension: wouldn't it be easier to just do the above than to talk it to death? :biggrinjester:

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
The Rotella jug is 1 gallon/4qts/3.785 liters. You put 3qts into the bike. The capacity is 2.9qts so it is a little over. Lots of people do the same thing. It's not a big deal.

Grayman is "spot on". Matter of fact, there are a couple of websites concerning the SV (same engine)....where the Race Mechanics recommend, 3 full quarts for optimal performance. They suggest that the sight glass shows oil to the very top.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speaking as a guy who is known to occasionally obsess in this manner, I say as a kindred spirit, and without a hint of condescension: wouldn't it be easier to just do the above than to talk it to death? :biggrinjester:
But isn't that what message boards are all about. I mean if we all just went and did what needed to be done and didn't talk about it, sites like this wouldn't exist.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't worry about being over by that amount. If you want to lower the oil level do it from the filler hole. I think you can do it this way. Put a clean plastic tube into the hole and put your finger tightly over the end of the tube and pull it out. Repeat until you like the results.
Thanks Farmerlou! I took your suggestion - emptied some oil using straws and brought the oil level down to the top of the sight glass. Bike seems to shift better too. Appreciate the suggestion!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks Farmerlou! I took your suggestion - emptied some oil using straws and brought the oil level down to the top of the sight glass. Bike seems to shift better too. Appreciate the suggestion!
I use a large (60 ml) plastic syringe and a red rubber catheter to remove xs oil, etc. Obtainable from a veterinarian or probably a pharmacy. Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well I had my head up my ass when I was doing the oil change in my 09 Wee last week.
I have a big measuring pitcher that I pour the proper amount into before I pour it into the engine. Been doing it that way for years.
Well this time I figured I would just pour in the oil from the jug until it started to fill the site window.

The oil was transparent and I couldn't see it filling the window. Soon I realized that I had put in more oil than should be.:confused:
The site window was totally full. So I thought to myself, since I changed the filter and if I run it for a short time it'll fill the filter and then it would be at the proper level. I ran the engine for maybe 30-45 seconds.:smile2:

No way. So I pulled the plug and drained out about a quart and one half before the level was properly at the fill line.:furious:
Fortunately I'm in the middle of my Winter maintenance and went to the air cleaner next.
And you guessed it. There was a lot of oil puddled in the airbox. I've mopped all of that up so it's no longer in there.

My question is, have I damaged the engine in anyway?

I've never had oil in the airbox of either of my Wee's, until today, when it was time to clean the K&N air filter.

·
RazzleH
217 Posts
Well I had my head up my ass when I was doing the oil change in my 09 Wee last week.
I have a big measuring pitcher that I pour the proper amount into before I pour it into the engine. Been doing it that way for years.
Well this time I figured I would just pour in the oil from the jug until it started to fill the site window.

The oil was transparent and I couldn't see it filling the window. Soon I realized that I had put in more oil than should be.:confused:
The site window was totally full. So I thought to myself, since I changed the filter and if I run it for a short time it'll fill the filter and then it would be at the proper level. I ran the engine for maybe 30-45 seconds.:smile2:

No way. So I pulled the plug and drained out about a quart and one half before the level was properly at the fill line.:furious:
Fortunately I'm in the middle of my Winter maintenance and went to the air cleaner next.
And you guessed it. There was a lot of oil puddled in the airbox. I've mopped all of that up so it's no longer in there.

My question is, have I damaged the engine in anyway?

I've never had oil in the airbox of either of my Wee's, until today, when it was time to clean the K&N air filter.

My remedy for this was to unscrew the filter, drain it and re-screw. Worked a treat.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,797 Posts
All good. The engine found somewhere to throw the excess oil.
It would have been different though if you had gone for a blast down the motorway.
So long as the puddled oil did not enter the air boot (tube) all will be O.K.

·
Registered
149 Posts
All good. The engine found somewhere to throw the excess oil.
It would have been different though if you had gone for a blast down the motorway.
So long as the puddled oil did not enter the air boot (tube) all will be O.K.
Thanks a bunch. That makes me feel a whole lot better. :smile2:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Make sure the bike is as level. My front end is lowered the recommended 12mm and the garage floor is not level so depending on which direction my bike is facing, its either a bit high or low. Either way the difference between the top and bottom mark is only a couple ounces. I'm not sure it makes all that much difference as long as its between the lines.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I overfilled my bike a while ago and went over to the recycling bin to retrieve a large pump action shampoo bottle. After flushing it well (takes a while) I threaded the syphon down the oil filler hole and pumping steadily the oil started to appear in my wife's glass measuring jug. Took 5 minutes to extract the right amount.
Never overfilled again, but I have kept the pump.

Reactions: Big B and Brockie
1 - 20 of 20 Posts