StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Never saw this before, but for that price, I will try one. I 'll place an order this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
They have been around a while and this topic comes up from time to time.

Read between the lines. All it appears to do is richen the mixture slightly. They might be somewhat useful on the DL1000 which typically runs lean anyway, but otherwise I can't see them doing much. I hope someone does get one because I'd like to see an unbiased report on them though. Personally I think it's just so much snake oil.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
And ships from Hungary.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Patience Steve...

And ships from Hungary.
Now Steve, don't dis Hungary.

Remember that it is the main worlds supplier of Hungarians...

Don't piss them off.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the 25hp increase obviously doesn't apply to any V-Strom ever made, but by stretching credulity until it creaks it MIGHT apply to a B-King, 'Busa or other high-hp bike. However, if you look at the dyno chart you can see that the test engine signs off at about 6K rpm, so I can't imagine what kind of motorcycle that is. But, hey, can you name a product of any type that isn't overhyped by the manufacturer?

However the claim that it richens the mixture, IF VALID, makes it a useful device because it's a pretty well-established fact that all bikes come from the factory tuned lean because of EPA requirements. I have seen reports of lean surging on this very forum, in fact, Wees as well as Vees.

And the Hungary part is not necessarily a cause for concern. This outfit has a lot of positive feedback since '02 so they are not just taking the money and running. My assumption with regard to the Hungary connection is that this company has stolen somebody else's technology (Power Commander?) and is fabricating the devices in a sweatshop over there to keep costs down and avoid patent infringement liability here.

I'm certainly not shilling for this company, because for all I know the device is just a couple of wires soldered to an empty box (a placebo for your bike!) but it would be nice to know if it is worth doing. God knows it's cheap enough.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Now Steve, don't dis Hungary.

Remember that it is the main worlds supplier of Hungarians...

Don't piss them off.
Oh, no, not at all. I'd just feel more comfortable buying a product of questionable repute from a country of, well... reputable repute. (That sounds kinda Yogi Berra'ish, doesn't it?)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Wow high quality. I can't wait for it to get here so I can hack up the wires in my bike using bullet connectors and scotch locks.:idea1: If you can't tell I am being a smart a$$. There is no way I would take a chance with a 2 bit piece of junk like that and cutting my wires to boot.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
No way does this work. These types of products are available for just about every vehicle on earth, and as far as I know not a single one of them does a thing.

SCAM

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you new the right resistor, you could go to radio shack and buy 5 of them for $0.99. These type of products simply retard the signal (I believe from your O2 sensor) and make the bike think it is running lean, the bike then enrichens the fuel mixture.

It wouldn't work quite right, as it has no adjustablity over the rpm range.

If you want to buy this product, then you have just signalled that you really want a PCIII, but are too cheap to buy one. I recommend not buying any cigarettes or booze next month (or whatever) and use the $300 to buy the PCIII from fuelmoto. In the long run you will feel a long smarter, and have wasted no money (on this little gizmo or the booze/cigarettes).

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Well I couldn't resist. Just ordered one. I will be the ginny pig on this one. Maybe snake oil, who knows. I will keep all informed as to what happens and what it does(or doesn't do).

·
Registered
185 Posts

My friend got something like this for his Nissan probably six years back. All it included was a five cent part from RadioShack with instructions. And from the look of the different eBay auctions. This is about the same thing with a slightly fancier package. (Most likely under $.50 to make)

All that it is doing is changing the voltage from the sensor to the ECU so it thinks the engine is running lean and adds more fuel. Again $.50 and a trip to RadioShack to do the same thing. As for how will run touring dude has the right idea. The whole point of the power commander is to be able to change each RPM range to maximize power while with this $25. EBay part it's just the stock fuel map but richer, which could cause problems so use at your own risk

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm a very firm believer in the old adage...."You get what you pay for".

If these things worked there wouldn't be companies that produce Power Commanders etc....they'd all be out of business! We'd all have these 25 h.p. "gadgets" on our bikes for a paltry $35.00!! I can't believe anybody that even had a thimble-full of engine knowledge would spend the money for this type snake-oil.....

Sorry just my opinion. :rolleyes1:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts