StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m starting to think that driving my 650 to work this summer will be just too risky. This is the first year I ever had to say that but with the amount of construction, traffic congestion and desperation by drivers to get ahead the risk factor is just not acceptable.

My usual route to work Irving Park Rd has been closed off at York Rd. till Aug. 3rd. Even getting on US 90 West there is nowhere to pull off to the shoulder due to construction if something should happen. The rest is just congested stop and go. Just no fun.

Driving a motorcycle is inherently risky but add in all those other factors and it feels like you’re an accident waiting to happen.

Will have to save the ride for my trip around Lake Superior. Traffic free roads, scenic vistas, and no stop lights for 100’s of miles.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ride a bike, drive a car

ride a bike, drive a car

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have no idea of the traffic in Chicago, but I would think congestion makes it safer to ride? Do you not filter?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Chicago is just brutal. No where is safe. I have lived here all my life and I dont even like the outer highways like 80 and 294. I cant imagine driving on 90 on a daily basis.

See you on the ATL trip. That is where it's at.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have no idea of the traffic in Chicago, but I would think congestion makes it safer to ride? Do you not filter?
Interesting subject. It seems that in Australia, riding between vehicles at 30 km/h or less is perfectly legal (lane filtering); as opposed to lane splitting (above 30 km/h) which seems to be illegal.

Here in the U.S. we have no such luck. Only the state of California allows motorcyclists to ride between vehicles.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I ride on US 14 from Arlington Heights to Niles. Mornings are fine, but afternoons are quite congested and one gotta be careful. Suburbs have much wider less congested roads than the city. If I were to give up my daily commute, I don't know what I would do.:frown:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Only in NSW, ACT and QLD is at actually legal to filter. Other states like where I'm from in Victoria, it's not illegal, there is no provision to do it legally so you can get caught for breaking some rules while doing it (not indicating while changing lanes, crossing unbroken lines etc.). But if you do it sensibly, then you shouldn't have any issues from the police.
It would be great to have the UK model though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nothing could make me pick the car over the bike as long as the weather is OK.

It is more dangerous to ride than to drive, but I have come to terms with that a long time ago.
I find the pleasure of riding far outweigh the risk.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I was raised in Hinsdale and lived for 18 years around Chicago. I moved to southern Missouri and now I don't even want to visit there. Insane traffic like LA but crazier nut jobs all over not to mention the taxi drivers. I think riding a bike on the highways downtown is near suicide.

·
Registered
266 Posts
45-90 mph, 4 lanes of traffic, cars and trucks 2-20 feet in every direction, no escape route...... crazy. I refused to ride in the DC area when I spent two years there 2001-2003.

Only guy I saw do the above with skill and style was on a full super moto KTM, dressed out in full kit going across the Oakland Bridge into The City and he blew through traffic like a gamer on level 1. Cars didn't have time to react before he was way past them.

Still, who wants to ride to work every day in a video game where there's no extra man......

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Nothing could make me pick the car over the bike as long as the weather is OK.

It is more dangerous to ride than to drive, but I have come to terms with that a long time ago.
I find the pleasure of riding far outweigh the risk.

+1

I can't image not riding everyday.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Tales of traffic woes make me appreciate living in a mid-sized city (Okla City). I can make the 14 mile (each way commute) to my place of work in less than 25 minutes.

I was in Dallas this past weekend, and had forgotten how bad traffic in big cities can be. Even driving my wife's black Dodge Charger I felt a little uncomfortable with people whizzing by me doing 20 mph over the speed limit, cutting me off, and not signalling.

My biggest issue in this part of the USA that keeps me from riding is wind and thunderstorms. We're right in the middle of storm season, and are getting severe weather about every 3-4 days. Riding my Vstrom in driving rain, wind, and hail would definitely not make for a enjoyable ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cell Phone and Rear Collision Statistics

Does anyone know of any reliable research that points to an increase in rear end collisions resulting from cell phone usage and texting?

I have become much more reluctant to commute in stop and go traffic beause I *assume* that the likelihood of being rear-ended has increased dramatically. However, at this point this is simply a logic/fear based assumption on my part.

Anybody have real data?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Does anyone know of any reliable research that points to an increase in rear end collisions resulting from cell phone usage and texting?

I have become much more reluctant to commute in stop and go traffic beause I *assume* that the likelihood of being rear-ended has increased dramatically. However, at this point this is simply a logic/fear based assumption on my part.

Anybody have real data?
I got hit last year on my FJR by some young guy texting in his dads Audi in stop and go traffic.

There is some data.

I always look in my mirrors when stopped. Constantly.

They are all crazy around here.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Mobile phones should be disabled when in motion. A huge safety gain over a minor inconvenience. I don't know how you guys that commute in traffic every day do it. When I get caught in heavy stop and go traffic, I'm a nervous wreck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just started commuting again in the DC area after being off a bike for a while. I have to say that I've missed it. It's dangerous, so I can understand the decision not to take the risk.

One good thing about riding in city traffic is that it never allows you to be complacent. You're always paranoid about the cars around you... and for good reason.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I used to commute daily in a big city but that was many years ago before cell phones etc. I wouldn't dream of it now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I’m starting to think that driving my 650 to work this summer will be just too risky. This is the first year I ever had to say that but with the amount of construction, traffic congestion and desperation by drivers to get ahead the risk factor is just not acceptable.

My usual route to work Irving Park Rd has been closed off at York Rd. till Aug. 3rd. Even getting on US 90 West there is nowhere to pull off to the shoulder due to construction if something should happen. The rest is just congested stop and go. Just no fun.

Driving a motorcycle is inherently risky but add in all those other factors and it feels like you’re an accident waiting to happen.

Will have to save the ride for my trip around Lake Superior. Traffic free roads, scenic vistas, and no stop lights for 100’s of miles.
My hat is doffed to you, sir.

We all evaluate our risk aversion, but we do not all reply sensibly to the evaluation results.

Be well, and live to ride another day.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts