StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone assist with the wiring install of a TomTom rider 550 to my 2019 650XT

I have the factory heated grips fitted by the dealer so i'm guessing that accessory plug is taken, is there another easy plug or way to connect the wiring so the GPS turns on/off with the ignition

TIA

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The horn is a easy place to get switched 12v power.

A piggyback spade fitting for the positive lead but then you still need to get a earth that runs back to the battery.

Does you bike have a power socket on the dash ? if yes you could tap into that for power and earth ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Depending on how far you want to run wires, there is a switched hot under the right side panel. I memory serves, it powers the rear brake light switch. It was yellow, again, if memory serves. It is easy to access and will allow easy access to the battery. I used it to power a relay and came of the battery. The whole process will require propping the rear of the fuel tank so you can access the wiring that runs inside the right side of the frame. This allows you to wire-tie your wires piggy-backing the existing wires. I didn't mind running the wires that far as I am running a gps with a built-in mp3 player. I run all the wiring and the 3.5 mm headphone cable to an Amplirider that also lives behind the battery. I've got speakers installed inside my helmet and I run hard-wired for sound via a 3.5 mm cable that extends out from under the front of the seat.

(I have a 2018 650XT)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx guys, looks like I've got a few options to try

will probably check out tapping into the power socket on the dash as it looks to be the easiest solution. Will let you know how I get on once I've got time to have a play

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have installed my tomtom rider 550 to the socket on the left side of tank, near the horn on my xt.
It's blanked, I bought few same kind plugs and plugged directly into. took 5 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanx guys, looks like I've got a few options to try

will probably check out tapping into the power socket on the dash as it looks to be the easiest solution. Will let you know how I get on once I've got time to have a play
About to wire my TT 550 up and wanted to see if you had any issues with tapping the power socket? Are you using the RAM mount /charger?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts