Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initial report

I am pleased

Can be seen with direct sun on its face

Broad blue path big arrows easy to see at a glance

Count down distance to next turn etc.

I haven't used the routing extensively but seems fine and there is the on screen editing of a route in english so should be modified allowing you to change along the way

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Thanks for mentioning this GPS I hadn't heard of it. I've been wanting to upgrade from my automotive Garmin but didn't want to pay the Zumo price. Are you able to transfer custom routes from google maps?

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Does anyone know of a GPS (other than the pricey Zumo) that will pair via bluetooth with a Scala headset?

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use tyre which is a skin of google maps

TOMTOM RIDER2 is designed to pair with Tyre. tyre make routes just point and click

Rider2 pairs sound with blue tooth but homey do do dat so no direct knowledge referencing Scala

Google Manuals and you can download the rider II manual and see

·
Registered
107 Posts
<this thread probably belongs in the gps sub-forum here, but...>

I recently picked up a Tom Tom Rider for $330 and it has taken me a couple of weeks to decide that I will actually keep it.

Pros:

The winding roads feature is awesome and is the primary reason I am keeping the unit. It puts me on roads that I am unfamiliar with that are fun to ride. That alone is worth the money for me.

Routing works fine.

Bluetooth works pretty well. Paired easily with the iphone and Sena.

It's waterproof and the screen is not too hard to see in sunlight.

Cons:

I often listen to Pandora and the Rider will occasionally cut in but not say anything - when it does cut it in the volume is way louder than necessary, even when volume is set to low.

The large size/weight makes it shake a little more that smaller/lighter units - but the Zumo's are getting bigger also.

Usability is not as good as Garmin when using the unit to look around on the map (i.e. to figure out where to head next, etc.).

Zooming/painting of the screen is slow compared to Garmins - even my olders Nuvis.

Level of detail on screen is less than Garmin.

Map cannot be set to 'north up'.

City names come and go when you zoom in and out. They are there at some zoom levels and not there at others - very annoying.

TomTom uses Tyre for navigation software and that is PC only... I'd need to run a Windows VM to use it on my mac...

That's a bunch of cons, and there may even be others, but for me the winding road feature makes it all worth while.

In my opinion the Tom Tom Rider is not as nice at the Zumo, but for less than half the price it does what I need it to do. I can use my iphone when I want to look at maps in any detail. And if I need hands-free navigation on the fly I can talk to Siri and just use the Rider as a visual aid.

If the new Zumo 590LM supported voice recognition over bluetooth, I may have dropped the $800 on it, but without that feature I can't justify that much money on a gps unit. The voice recognition on my Garmin 3597 in my car is awesome. I want that functionality via bluetooth in a Zumo for hands-free navigation while on the bike.

But for now I will stick with the cheaper Rider and use Siri for hands-free navigation if/when needed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am just now considering this newly upgraded version of the tomtom. I had a refurbished tomtom rider which I believe was the version 3 currently discontinued but still found on Amazon and eBay sometimes.

I do have a question for those that have the new unit though. I notice that there is no SD card slot on the new unit as opposed to the old version that had that available. How many custom routes can you create in tyre and upload to the new unit? This is pretty much my deal maker/breaker on the purchase decision.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry no idea

Some specs are on the website and the manual can be downloadable

Memory is cheap but I also know some tracks get to be huge and over load my Garmin Oregon,

I use mine for exploring
Map source ?? delorme etc. to tyre then to the routing but I have not made it a habit of saving anything.

Make waypoint on the next road and periodically on a long twisty road then done
I believe my success will be in the ability to alter the route when I want on the go

One NEVA the route turned into an abandoned cow path. Once the route was broken there was NO going back

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Does anyone know of a GPS (other than the pricey Zumo) that will pair via bluetooth with a Scala headset?
This is what I did.

Here in OZ the electronics stores have most of the units out on display and powered up so you can try before you buy.

I took my helmet into the store and paired my headset with the units on display and tried them all out.

With my testing Garmin were the only ones that did not give instructions via Bluetooth, all the Tom Tom & Navman units I tested did.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Excellent research, Rolex. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got out

Tried winding routes

Seemed to work well, picked some nice roads and avoided congested areas and towns

I think most would be pleased if owned Strom

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you don't think you are a good navigator then I can recommend this TOMTOM Rider

I have some good routes in my repertoire over the years and the TOMTOM replicated it bang. Nice 2 lanes and avoid congested areas

It also followed the tyre route very well only 1 minor hick up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts