StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
On the GS's you can toggle ABS on/off. Is there a way to do that on the vstrom's? Your thoughts??

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
If you're a fat, lazy slob (such as yours truly) who has no business messing with the wiring of a motorcycle, you can just pull the fuses.

They're clearly marked.

Maybe you can do that with a BMW, but it might be considered the unwarrantied cause a final drive failure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys

Thanks guys,, really appreciate it.
I rode a 650 v-strom a few days ago and loved it, didn't get it on a fireroad but I think I will like it better that my 1150GS.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can I ask why you want to turn off ABS?

I'm in the shopping stages, and have been eyeing the ABS in particular.
If you drive in places with less than ideal traction, such os off road, on gravel, etc., ABS can lengthen your stopping distances. If you lock a wheel in gravel, the tire digs in, the gravel piles up and helps stop you (provided other factors like balance or an eagle landing on your head are managed properly).

ABS in this case would keep the wheels rolling, and rolling and rolling...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
In off-road situations it's a good idea to turn it off.

Especially on a slick downhill section, you may want to drag the rear tire to keep the bike upright.

On a gravel road, this is not much of a concern, especially if it's not real steep and/or slick and the surface still bears a slight resemlance to a road. Knobby tires also make this less of an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me. I have a '95 jeep Cherokee that I take offroad regularly and I've cussed the ABS several times. Nice to know it translates pretty much the same with half the wheels.

Thank you!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me. I have a '95 jeep Cherokee that I take offroad regularly and I've cussed the ABS several times. Nice to know it translates pretty much the same with half the wheels.

Thank you!
Exactly. Throw in some compresssion braking form the engine, and you can show folks what "a jeep thing" is all about. ;) Too bad the Strom's don't come with a low range. :(

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts