StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been anxiously awaiting these. Shinko 804/805. I got them from TORKmoto ( https://torkmoto.ca/ ) $231 CAD delivered including tax. The first thing I did was check the date codes - one was the first week of June 2019 and the other was still warm mid-September. Delivery was less than a week. Excellent.

Cheers,
Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
I mounted the rear 805 on my 04 Wee and was pleasantly surprised with the handling. Haven't had the chance to wear out the tread yet.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm on my third set of these and remain thoroughly impressed with their grip on both two-track dirt/gravel and even more so on pavement. Even with the big chunky side blocks, they grip exceptionally well on dry pavement and acceptably in the wet. When pushing them hard in the twisties (as in, hard enough to scrape pegs) they tend to get hot and start to squirm a bit--they're definitely NOT sport tires. I typically get about 3500-4500 miles before I want to change them out.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm on my third set of these and remain thoroughly impressed with their grip on both two-track dirt/gravel and even more so on pavement. Even with the big chunky side blocks, they grip exceptionally well on dry pavement and acceptably in the wet. When pushing them hard in the twisties (as in, hard enough to scrape pegs) they tend to get hot and start to squirm a bit--they're definitely NOT sport tires. I typically get about 3500-4500 miles before I want to change them out.
Hi badjuju. I'm hoping to get them mounted in the next couple of days. Most of their use will be pavement, but there will be occasional dirt & gravel roads. In the near future - well, next summer - I expect a lot of broken up and poorly maintained paved roads to be my focus.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Big block tires can handle. I was surprised by TKC 80's and how they stick to pavement. Have not tried the 804/5's yet. Still stuck on 705 for general purpose everyday tire.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Hi badjuju. I'm hoping to get them mounted in the next couple of days. Most of their use will be pavement, but there will be occasional dirt & gravel roads. In the near future - well, next summer - I expect a lot of broken up and poorly maintained paved roads to be my focus.

Cheers,
Glenn
For your use you might want to consider the 705 once you wear these guys out. I found the 805's do not last very long, are loud on the highway and can get a bit squirelly in the tar snakes once they are worn down a bit. I am not sure on the older years/650 but on the 2014+ 1000's you need to use a fender riser with this tire. Adventuretech makes them and I think it runs about 100 bucks canadian by the time you get it. Otherwise the tire will ruin your fender.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I don`like my 805 front off pavement. Very squirrelly feels like it's trying to wash out even on gentle turns(even aired down). On pavement it's fine. I going to try the new E07 + front that is out now.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I hope to have more info in a couple of days when I get them mounted up. I have a couple of dirt roads I like for a test ride. One in particular that the worn Pilot Roads really didn't like. Of everything I've read about the road noise, about half the reports say the 705s are noisier than the 804/805s. So that's a toss up. I'll find out what they're like on mine and go from there. I WAS going to go wit the 705s until someone here suggested I try these. We'll see and I'll report back. I'll start at 33 psi front and rear.

Edit: Oh yeah, mine is a 2002 DL1000. I don't think there is a fender interference issue with the first gen, but I'll check it when I put the tires on.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
293 Posts
Edit: Oh yeah, mine is a 2002 DL1000. I don't think there is a fender interference issue with the first gen, but I'll check it when I put the tires on.

Cheers,
Glenn
Assuming the front fender is same or similar on the Wee and the Vee, it'll fit just fine. I have an '09 Wee and there's plenty of clearance. I typically run 32-34 front and 34-36 rear. Drop the pressure a pound or two when riding in very cold weather (<35*F) and bump it a bit in the summer when temps are high and/or you're running at speed on the x-way. I run 38-40 in the rear when touring loaded with luggage. On the big Strom, you'll prolly be lucky to get 3500 miles on the rear unless you have a very light right hand. I haven't noticed the low-speed "buzz" to be any different on the 80X vs the 705. No buzz at all once your speed gets above 25-30 MPH.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Cheers,
Glenn
Assuming the front fender is same or similar on the Wee and the Vee, it'll fit just fine. I have an '09 Wee and there's plenty of clearance. I typically run 32-34 front and 34-36 rear. Drop the pressure a pound or two when riding in very cold weather (<35*F) and bump it a bit in the summer when temps are high and/or you're running at speed on the x-way. I run 38-40 in the rear when touring loaded with luggage. On the big Strom, you'll prolly be lucky to get 3500 miles on the rear unless you have a very light right hand. I haven't noticed the low-speed "buzz" to be any different on the 80X vs the 705. No buzz at all once your speed gets above 25-30 MPH.
OK, thanks all. I got them mounted up today so should get them reinstalled tomorrow for a test ride. Temps here now are usually 0*C +/- 2*C or so - freezing. I'll start at 33 psi and drop a couple from there if I feel any sort of cold rubber slippage. BTW, I checked the inside of both tires and there were not any silver foil patches (or any other colour). Both tires were made in the past 5 months, so maybe that's a thing of the past.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I did about a 50 km ride today with the new 804/805s. I scuffed them up good with a wire brush before I bolted them on. I set the pressures at 33 psi both ends at -2*C. My first impression when leaving the driveway was WOW, they sure tip in quick. Of course the tires I took off were Pilot Road Trails and they were well and truly cupped (front) and square (rear), so no real shock when I think about it. They were about at half life when I bought her and I've put another 4,000 kms on. The falling over feeling was gone in about 2 or 3 kms and some experimental weaving.

They sing a bit between 65 & 80 km/h - slightly noticeable, but no bother at all. I didn't notice it at higher speed at all, but maybe the wind noise was louder (flip up helmet - no ear plugs today). The rough pavement was great. Then I got on a dirt road that I had taken before on the Pilot Road Trails. The PR's didn't like that one bit with lots of tracking and loose handlebar sensations. These Shinkos were right at home - no tracking, no loosey goosey stuff at all! And boy do they grip. I was in 3rd gear at 3,000 RPM and cranking on the gas hard and they just dig in and go! No spinning, no fishtailing.

Lots of room under the front fender - I can easily get my hand in there right to the knuckles ( and I don't have small hands like you-know-who! Here's a couple of snaps.

Cheers,
Glenn

Attachments

Reactions: Big B

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
They really are all around fantastic tires and look bad ass too. :)

Reactions: slovcan

·
Registered
293 Posts
My first impression when leaving the driveway was WOW, they sure tip in quick.
I've always thought the other Shinko tires--i.e., the 705s--had this same quick tip-in characteristic. A bit startling at first but I find it enjoyable once you're accustomed.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've always thought the other Shinko tires--i.e., the 705s--had this same quick tip-in characteristic. A bit startling at first but I find it enjoyable once you're accustomed.
Yeah, could be. I replaced the Pilot Road 3's (or 4's?) on my Trophy with Shinko Verge's (011 Front) and I noticed a quicker tip in on it, too. And yes, I like it.

Cheers,
Glenn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts