StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I received my SW-Motech crashbars and skidplate in addition to my MRA VarioTouringScreen which I had to promptly install then test out. In case you didn't know, riding a bike with a recently broken/uncasted left hand is a bitch....

I had purchased a complete Givi bag and trunk set when I bought the bike from the dealer in May of last year, but that barely counted as farkle.

Next will come a fuse panel, light bar, PIAAs, and probably a satellite radio hookup. My iPod only lasts for so long on battery. I might also get a Madstad, but not sure yet. Having a new job that doubled my previous salary rocks.....

For those of you installing these SW-Motech crashbar/skidplate combos: The front piece no longer gets turned around backwards, the skidplate fits in front of the bracket, and the spacer has to be ground down about 1/16 of an inch to fit correctly.

For those of you thinking about the MRA VarioTouringScreen: It seems to be awesome. No buffeting at my head anymore and I can adjust the amount of air I want and where it hits my helmet. I do wish it was a bit wider, but at least that damn noise and headache is gone. Smaller riders would probably never even notice. I am 6'4" and 285 lbs, so about the size of a young black bear.....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome to your next big addiction... :cheers2: and bank account drain ;)
I'm also thinking of what I can do to provide juice to my GPS and maybe charge my iPod or cellphone while riding but have to wait for my bank account to stop burning.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hello, my name is Steve, and I'm an accessory addict.

(audience- "Hi, Steve".)

When I bought my new 650 last June, it started innocently enough by purchasing a new Givi trunk box mount for my existing box. Then racks for my existing Hepco Becker saddle bags, and it has only mushroomed from there.

Givi trunk
Hepco Becker saddle bags, which have since been replaced by-
Pelican 1440 boxes mounted to SW Motech racks
Sargent saddle
SW Motech engine guards
SW Motech skid plate
Givi windshield
Madstad bracket
Darrington Outback bar risers
Universal Vista cruise control
Kyryakin Universal Throttle Boss
Kevin Baker lowering links (and lowering the front end to match)

Oh, and then I needed some tunes for when I'm riding, so along came an Ipod (pre-VStrom), and this winter I decided I needed some real motorcycle boots, so a personal visit to Aerostich was made for some Combat Lite boots, which compliments their Darien riding suit very well. Oh, a new helmet last year, the Shoei Multitec. And the new Aerostich catalog just showed up the other day, darn it. And I recently upgraded my Ipod earbuds to Westone UM1 earbuds. I could use some new gloves, and those Ropers up at Aerostich were sooooo comfy, those are now on the short list.

I'm finding that my addiction just won't stop. Now I'm thinking grip heaters, too. When will it stop? When will it stop?! Help.

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest, I do feel better.

Editing- I forgot the OEM hand guards and center stand I installed.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Hello, my name is Steve, and I'm an accessory addict.
Steve, thank you for taking the first step and admitting you have a farkle addiction. If you hope to ever moderate even control your affliction you must must turn off your internet service now. Do not take time to think, just do it.

Whatever you do, you must never come to this site ever again. This site is an enabler for those of us with farkle addiction. The reviews and experiences written about here lures us to buy more and more trinkets for our mighty steed. Staying here to fix your illness is like an alcoholic going to the bar to get better, or worse, like BTD moving into a brothel to avoid thinking about the ladies. Just not gonna work.

I do wish you well on your journey to recovery. If you do stay...have you ever tried a fork brace? They're really cool.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Steve, thank you for taking the first step and admitting you have a farkle addiction. If you hope to ever moderate even control your affliction you must must turn off your internet service now. Do not take time to think, just do it.

Whatever you do, you must never come to this site ever again. This site is an enabler for those of us with farkle addiction. The reviews and experiences written about here lures us to buy more and more trinkets for our mighty steed. Staying here to fix your illness is like an alcoholic going to the bar to get better, or worse, like BTD moving into a brothel to avoid thinking about the ladies. Just not gonna work.

I do wish you well on your journey to recovery. If you do stay...have you ever tried a fork brace? They're really cool.
Fork brace? Oh, why, yes, I have been reading some recent posts about those... NO!! I MUST STOP!! I CANNOT CONTINUE DOWN THIS ROAD OF FINANCIAL RUIN!!!

Yes, turn off the internet. Yes, that may be of use to me. But, but, but, there is snow on the ground, and ice on the road, and it's mid-April. But you are right, I must turn off the internet. (Well, mainly because I'm starving and at 9am I still haven't had breakfast.)

Please make it stop...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Some food for thought from my list:

Fenda Extenda, sport and touring MP shields, Sonic fork springs, clear signal lenses, Garmin Zumo 550, hand guards, Audiovox CC-100, NEP CC4, clock/temp/voltmeter guage, Scotts steering stabilizer, 2 Heat-Trollers, Sargent seat, SV Racing sliders, Amotostuff turn signal conversion kit, HotGrips with Grip Puppies, SW-Motech sidecase racks w/tool tube - center stand - engine guards, Givi E36 side cases and E45 topcase, Blue Seas fuse block, fork gaiters, Eastern Beaver dual headlight relays, Stebel horn, Emgo mirrors.

If I could figure a way to have both the fork gaiters and a fork brace, I might go for that but I don't have a desire for anything else. My problem would be having nothing to add to the bike that I want. What fun is that?

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
If I could figure a way to have both the fork gaiters and a fork brace, I might go for that but I don't have a desire for anything else. My problem would be having nothing to add to the bike that I want. What fun is that?

Greywolf, I have a Super Brace and fork gaiters. It can be done!!

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks Dirt_Dad.... wish I had that advice earlier :p I just got back from signing the papers at the dealer. They did not have the oem center stand.... so I bet you can guess what I just purchased at twistedthrottle :rolleyes1:

I should be picking the bike up on Tuesday after I listen to the extended warranty pitch.... Sales manager said for $999 you get 2 year extended with paid factory service.

Now.... before my credit cards melts... what this about purchasing another fuse box?

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Now.... before my credit cards melts... what this about purchasing another fuse box?
Congratulations on the bike. You'll love it.

Fuse box, did you say fuse box? Yeah, I got that one, too. It's made by Blue Seas is available through boating suppliers. There are a large number of Stroms running around with these things under the seat. It made it easier to wire in my Stebel horn, GPS, running lights, voltage meter, electric gloves and power outlet.

This is my setup, but you'd be better off following the example of Greywolf's setup. He very good at all things bike related and usually sets the standard around here. If you search for fuse box you should be able to find a picture of his.

·
38,048 Posts
I don't think I ever posted a current pic. I only have an old one. Now all the hots are full plus there's another fused wire to the battery for the headlight relays. Except for the ultra neat guys, they look pretty similar.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So those fuse boxes.... I know I can probably just search it out, but since you included pix and it hit this tread:::::::> Are they pretty much a quick install off the hot side and then ground back to the battery/frame or is there a huge amount of crap that has to be done to get them working? If it is like hooking up an amp in a car, etc., I might just go pick up one of those fuse panels and wire it in. If there are some "YOU SCREWED UP AND NOW MUST REWIRE YOUR BIKE" type gotchas, I might not as of yet.....

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
So those fuse boxes.... I know I can probably just search it out, but since you included pix and it hit this tread:::::::> Are they pretty much a quick install off the hot side and then ground back to the battery/frame or is there a huge amount of crap that has to be done to get them working? If it is like hooking up an amp in a car, etc., I might just go pick up one of those fuse panels and wire it in. If there are some "YOU SCREWED UP AND NOW MUST REWIRE YOUR BIKE" type gotchas, I might not as of yet.....
Mine is hot all the time and I put the relays after the fuse box. I wired directly to the battery for both hot and ground. The only things operating without a key are the gloves and power outlet. Only my gloves and power outlet will operate without the key. Nothing dangerous to the bike just going from the battery to the box. You can definitely screw up something beyond there.

Looks like Greywolf put a relay before the fuse box. I couldn't find anything with a wiring harness larger than 30 amp. Didn't know if that would be enough. Greywolf, what size relay did you use?

·
Registered
116 Posts
:cool:Very nice clean installation of the fuse box. I almost pulled the trigger on the Blue seas 6 connection fuse box on Ebay today. But I decided to do some more reading and there is a post by tollster : http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6592&page=3 that shows a centech ap-1 fuse box installed in a different location, which I like better. So I check the web for this fuse box and found it at easternbeaver.com but I decided to get the ap-2 with kit:
http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/VStrom/vstrom.html
less work for me, has 2 hot busses one with relay and one hot :D And it comes with everything including a connection to tie into the rear tail light.:D

It look like tollster screw his fuse box down... I'm not sure if I will go that far, it depends if I can see and access the fuses when the box is installed. I am time to see what other mounting options there is out there.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Looks like a nice clean setup. Matter of fact everyone has a cleaner setup than me. I need to do something about that. I need to do some re-wiring this summer. I'm grounded to the frame with my lights and horn. I remember Greywolf saying that was an invitation to corrosion, so I need to fix that. Maybe I'll make things look better at that time.

The owner of Eastern Beaver rides a Vee and is a member here. I've only heard good things about his stuff.

·
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts

·
38,048 Posts
So it isn't connected at the bottom and the natural expansion of the boot keeps things covered. It probably is very functional but I think I'd rather figure out a way to connect it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts