StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking of pissing off the wife and breaking down and buying the Zumo 550.
How about some pics of how and where you have your units mounted.
Do I need to get the shelf or is the mount that comes with the unit good enough?
Also do you have to have a blue tooth setup too hear your ipod through this unit, or can it be hardwired to your helmet?
Mike

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I changed the questions on this
Mike

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
I mounted my Zumo 550 with the standard mounting bracket that came with the system. 2,000 miles and no problems yet. Pictures are below.

I have a Cardo Systems scala Teamset bluetooth headset so I can talk to my passenger. I can hear the directions fine but the MP3 function through the Zumo is only mono. I haven't hooked the bluetooth Cardo system up to the iPod, but even if I did, the system is only mono. The Zumo has a jack for headphones if you want to hardwire a set of speakers.

Thinking of pissing off the wife and breaking down and buying the Zumo 550.
How about some pics of how and where you have your units mounted.
Do I need to get the shelf or is the mount that comes with the unit good enough?
Also do you have to have a blue tooth setup too hear your ipod through this unit, or can it be hardwired to your helmet?
Mike

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I like the above the instruments position much better. MP3 over bluetooth is indeed mono. Also, I have not found any Bluetooth helmet sources I really like. I want earplug quality noise reduction plus good quality sound. Therefore, I'm willing to plug in. Wiring an earphone jack close to the seating position prevents a cord from flying around.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice bracket there!!!!!!!!!
Mike

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I mounted my Zumo 550 with the standard mounting bracket that came with the system. 2,000 miles and no problems yet. Pictures are below.

This is how I have mine as well. I like it here as I can very easily reach the buttons with my left hand. It's just a personal choice for where you feel most comfortable with it.

Here's my splash screen:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the mount by the windscreen, less time away from the view of the road.
I currently have my magellan sportrak, mounted up high for use as a speedometer and tracking, but want directions for road trips.
Mike

·
Registered
147 Posts
get one, you wont regret it...I absolutely love mine.
I'm using the mp3 player in the unit, with earbuds plugged into the mount
(using a ram bar mount as I already had it on there from my old gps, works just fine after 10000km).
It's the best thing I've purchased for my bike so far.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I have mine mounted in the centre, like greywolf. I find I use the Zumo speedo more than the stock one on the bike.

My splash screen....

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Roger123,

Hope you don't mind, I just snagged that image and am using it for my splash screen! :mrgreen:

Here's my splash screen:

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
Greywolf:

Can I ask what you use for the earplugs/speakers?

Also, do you use any other sound mixing devices like Autocomm, etc.?

Thanks,

Tom

I like the above the instruments position much better. MP3 over bluetooth is indeed mono. Also, I have not found any Bluetooth helmet sources I really like. I want earplug quality noise reduction plus good quality sound. Therefore, I'm willing to plug in. Wiring an earphone jack close to the seating position prevents a cord from flying around.

·
38,047 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts

·
38,047 Posts
I must have large ear canals. Foam earplugs come out just about full size and I use the largest tip. When I first got the IE-10s, they would bother me after a few hours. After a few days use they felt fine. I wore them on an over 1100 mile day last September. They do stick out farther than most. That's because the speaker separates from the cord. I liked the idea of a replaceable cord.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I must have large ear canals.
I think the reality is that mine are smaller than most, and I have tried several of the alternatives to the Etymotic earphones. They're all way too big for me.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I used a dash shelf for the Zumo and radar detector.

Mounted:
I really like the idea of having the GPS in the line of sight, but I usually switch back and forth between the map screen and the trip computer screen, and that seems like quite a reach. I'd rather have it close to my left hand so I don't have to reach awkwardly forward to switch it.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Did something cool with mine a while back - saved a route to the SF card so I could share it with another rider. That way we had the same route and could swap lead.

When I had the standard windshield bracket I drilled two holes in the center and mounted it there.

When I went to the Madstad bracket, I cut a section of lacrosse stick shaft (but rectangular tubing will work better!) and mounted it to that. This gets it above the instruments.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts