StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 years and 46,000 miles on my current DL650 I am getting the itch to buy a new bike. Have I mentioned 46,000 very trouble free miles. Besides tires, chains, sprockets, spark plugs and a whole bunch of oil, the only problem was a worn out clutch handle safety switch. This bike was my first love, and has been loyal and faithful. I know these bikes can go on and on and on, but I feel ready to try something else. The two bikes I am looking at are very different and fortunately I should get the opportunity this weekend to ride them back to back as the dealer I am visiting has them both and is having a Suzuki demo day. The bikes are a 2012 DL650 and a BMW F800ST. I am considering a sport touring motorcycle due to the fact that I do not ride off road. I do not want to step up to a monster of a motorcycle either.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I considered both and a few things pushed me to the Vstrom. Ergonomics, maintenance costs, 0% financing (I like free money) and overall functionality. Neither are bad bikes obviously but after sitting on them the Wee just felt right. If I could have justified the money I would have gone with a R1200R hands down, but that is another story.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like you got a lot of quality riding out of your previous Wee, I'm jealous! I just checked out the BMW you mentioned and it looks like a really nice bike, first I've seen it. What's the price difference between the two if any?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The price diff is substantial. Vstrom lists for 8299. The BMW lists for 13,870, this does include side bags, center stand and heated grips. We will calll it $1000 worth of stuff. Still leaves a $4000 dollar advantage to the Wee.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'd go with your plan, ride em' both and see which one hits home. Although, I'd certainly consider that difference in cost as I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend that much on a motorcycle. My main reason for buying my first bike (wee) was I caught the bug for riding plus I was looking for something more economical than my 12' Nissan Frontier as gas prices are getting brutal. Just me though, good luck with your decision! :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
I put over 125,000 miles on my 2006 DL650 since i got it in summer of 06. Last year I rode my Strom over 57,000 km km or over 35,000 miles. My Strom is my daily ride. I commute with it, do Sunday rides, do overnight weekend rides, I did two longish rides last year (East Coast and Grand Canyon/Death Valley). I rioe Solo, and a lot of two up as well. I shop with it and generally do just about eveything with it. I have ridden some other bikes and even did some touring on them (an ST1300 in January in California and Arizona, a 2010 Gold Wing last summer for a bit [was free, a friend got it for me to ride.]) I have ridden a few sport bikes now and then and the odd crusier. There is lots to enjoy about other bikes but each time I ride them it reinforces that a Strom is the right bike for me.

I find it hard not to love riding a Strom. It isn't any one amazing thing about it but just that you can ride amost in any way (Cruise, Touring, Twisties, carrying tons of stuff, gravel roads, etc) and any condition you feel like and have great time.

Stroms neither define nor limit how you ride.

I don't think you can go wrong no matter what you ride as long as you ride.

..Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have just changed from a F800ST to Wee2.

The ST was a great bike but suffered a bit from jerky throttle response, good when going for it but just bimbling along on a small throttle it was jerky as it is set to be economic but seemed to lean the fuel out too much. Also found I started getting wrist ache when not going for it as not as upright as the Wee2. I had a few issues with engine paint flaking, sorted under warranty but as ways make you check when cleaning the bike ( I had an 09 plate with silver engine, not the newer black engines).

The good points went like stink and really stuck to the road in the twisty stuff, never got much less than 48mpg, no mater how hard you went for it. Apart from the engine paint build quality top notch, loads of extras if you want to pay for them, heated grips and ABS ace. Best brakes I've had on a bike.

The main reason I changed was for the riding position as I want something a little more relaxing to ride, as I live in Suffolk UK and the roads are twisty and bumpy to say the least. Only had Wee2 800 miles but love it, not a lot slower on my roads and can over take easier as I can see over the cars. A bit more power would be nice but overall nice straight forward, not to in your face, cofortable bike. Looked at Tiger 800 and BMW R1200R but didn't see as a big difference for the money.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a little concerned about the seating position. I put bar risers on my current Wee and am fairly comfortable. The biggest problem I get is an ache between the shoulder blades. It usually only happens on 2+ hour rides and mostly in the spring when I am getting used to riding again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I put over 125,000 miles on my 2006 DL650 since i got it in summer of 06. Last year I rode my Strom over 57,000 km km or over 35,000 miles. My Strom is my daily ride. I commute with it, do Sunday rides, do overnight weekend rides, I did two longish rides last year (East Coast and Grand Canyon/Death Valley). I rioe Solo, and a lot of two up as well. I shop with it and generally do just about eveything with it. I have ridden some other bikes and even did some touring on them (an ST1300 in January in California and Arizona, a 2010 Gold Wing last summer for a bit [was free, a friend got it for me to ride.]) I have ridden a few sport bikes now and then and the odd crusier. There is lots to enjoy about other bikes but each time I ride them it reinforces that a Strom is the right bike for me.

I find it hard not to love riding a Strom. It isn't any one amazing thing about it but just that you can ride amost in any way (Cruise, Touring, Twisties, carrying tons of stuff, gravel roads, etc) and any condition you feel like and have great time.

Stroms neither define nor limit how you ride.

I don't think you can go wrong no matter what you ride as long as you ride.

..Tom
Wow Tom, I bow to you! I don't live that far away from you, and I know that I am limited to weather, etc.. I have a car for rain, snow or crappy weather, so I use my bike only on nice days, and never for long commutes as I had deer, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, and even a giant turtle cross the 401, on a commute at 5am to work. Too risky, especially in the dark. I usually put about 6-8000 km per year on it and I am hoping on putting on a lot more this time as I have moved 70km closer to work and I NOW will take my bike to work! But not on crappy days :)!
Cheers, and keep riding!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I am a little concerned about the seating position. I put bar risers on my current Wee and am fairly comfortable. The biggest problem I get is an ache between the shoulder blades. It usually only happens on 2+ hour rides and mostly in the spring when I am getting used to riding again.
Learn to do back twists/stretches while riding [be very careful when you first try doing this, but it is not really any more difficult than turning to look over your shoulder before lane changes. I also do "butt flexing" and standing up on the pegs periodically to prevent aches and pains on long stretches on the road].

Some Iron Butt riders have advocated the use of panadol or similar pain relievers at the beginning of a day's riding to give the body time to loosen up and settle in to riding.
I have tried this myself on occasions with some success but prefer to loosen the body up with some bends and stretches before getting on the bike.

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
Wow Tom, I bow to you! I don't live that far away from you, and I know that I am limited to weather, etc.. I have a car for rain, snow or crappy weather, so I use my bike only on nice days, and never for long commutes as I had deer, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, and even a giant turtle cross the 401, on a commute at 5am to work. Too risky, especially in the dark. I usually put about 6-8000 km per year on it and I am hoping on putting on a lot more this time as I have moved 70km closer to work and I NOW will take my bike to work! But not on crappy days :)!
Cheers, and keep riding!
I hate to tell you but I have around 8,700 km on my 2012 that I picked up March 12, 2012. :) My commute is around 58 km each way if all I do is go to work and home. (Last night my commute home took me about 220 km as I got a bit sidetracked.)

I do ride a lot but I have to say I am obsessive about riding and love just about every moment of it regardless of the conditions. The right gear has made commuting viable for me (I wear a suit and tie to work) and I have found ways to avoid the hwy 400 as much as possible.

The main thing is that you do what you enjoy!

..Tom

·
Registered
220 Posts
I hate to tell you but I have around 8,700 km on my 2012 that I picked up March 12, 2012. :)
Haha, right on! I picked up my wee at the same time and I only have just under 1500 km on mine! I have not driven the wee in rain yet as I am a little worried because my last bike slid like a mother in the rain. How does the bike ride and handle in heavy rain fall? I assume that the ABS would help.

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
Haha, right on! I picked up my wee at the same time and I only have just under 1500 km on mine! I have not driven the wee in rain yet as I am a little worried because my last bike slid like a mother in the rain. How does the bike ride and handle in heavy rain fall? I assume that the ABS would help.
I don't trust the stock tires as much as I did my Tourance non-Exp on my 2006, but it handles in rain (and sleet and slush) like you would expect. Which means that be a little more gentle and watch for things like painted lines, grease, etc. You just ride accordingly.

The ABS is great as you can use brakes with more confidence and get quick feedback when you have reached traction limits without worry of locking up. Generally, though, the ABS rarely kicks in unless I am trying to get it to kick in (which I will often do on unpaved roads, especially when wet, to test traction limits.)

..Tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I Wee'd! The BMW is a great bike, however I just could not see the extra up front costs and the much greater cost in ownership. I can tell you that the new Wee is dxxx hard to come by in PA. I called 7 dealers within a hundred miles of my house and the only one I found was at the dealership 3 miles from where I work. I stopped by friday night and he told me he would service the bike and have it ready to test drive Saturday morning. I road my old girl to the dealer and there it was, A shiney copper and black Wee2. The dealer took a photo copy of my licence, slapped a licence plate on the bike, gave me a slip to show I did not steal the bike, and off I went. Road a nice twisty road, jumped up on the interstate to check high speed stability and showed up back at the dealership trying to not look overly enthused! I can proudly say that there is one less 2012 DL 650 Vstrom available in PA! I jumped on the my old Wee to ride home. I can honestly say I felt mixed emotions riding home on my 07. It has been a great bike. When I got home, my riding partner, also known as my wife was waiting with her 07 BMW F650GS to ride with me back to pick up the new bike. The two of us are quite a sight on her GS. I think she was as excited to get my off her bike as I was to get on my new one :). We took a nice 130 mile ride and I can honestly say I am very happy with my new bike. My first impressions to follow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I do ride a lot but I have to say I am obsessive about riding and love just about every moment of it regardless of the conditions. The right gear has made commuting viable for me (I wear a suit and tie to work) and I have found ways to avoid the hwy 400 as much as possible.
I too, wear a suit and tie to work and the right gear has really helped the viability of commuting on the strom back and forth for work.. Although, I only work 2 1/2 miles from work so that gas savings are ENORMOUS compared to $74 fill up 2-3 times a month. :mrgreen: Only issue I find is my damn dress pants hike up on my ankles so I tend to catch a nice breeze. :green_lol:

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
I too, wear a suit and tie to work and the right gear has really helped the viability of commuting on the strom back and forth for work.. Although, I only work 2 1/2 miles from work so that gas savings are ENORMOUS compared to $74 fill up 2-3 times a month. :mrgreen: Only issue I find is my damn dress pants hike up on my ankles so I tend to catch a nice breeze. :green_lol:
I wear a Roadcrafter suit. In colder weather (Coldest I rode into work was -16c, or about +3f. but that was pushing it for me) and in close to or below freezing temp I wear Aerostich Fleece pants over my suit pants. Their design stops them from pulling up my pants when I put them on.

When I am not using them it depends on the temperature: from freezing to aound +10c or 50F my pants are tucked in my boots to stop airflow and they don't ride up; above that they go over my boots but I think the Roadcrafter design stops them from riding up in that situation. (The temeprature range is flexible by the way and not a firm line.)

Thanks,

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts