StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I know this issue has been posted numerous times and I'm beating the proverbial dead horse. I'm wanting a motorcycle and have only little experience riding dirt bikes when I was young.

I'm a law enforcement Officer and do collision reconstruction. I've seen the aftermath of riding irresponsibly. Talking to guys at work, they think I could handle a VEE or Bandit. I'm 6'04" and 290lbs, I've got some meat to move on two wheels. I know its not the preferred starter bike but I feel that my size and responsibility, I might be able to make it work.

Any ideas? I want to stick with the sport tourer style, no crotch rockets. I also want to be able to grow into it and later down the road, ride two up with my soon to be wife. Ride safe & THANKS!

·
Administrator
13,812 Posts
Both would work for you, but if you are going to be two up with your weight plus wife the DL1000 with slightly lowered gearing might be best. (Having siad that, I rode my bike 500 miles at 75 to 85 mph with me (around 250 lbs at the time) and a passenger that weighed at least 220 lbs and had no issues.)

..Tom

·
Registered
875 Posts
...I'm wanting a motorcycle and have only little experience riding dirt bikes when I was young...
Normally this would scream Wee. In your case, you're going to be north of 300 lbs in gear. If you've got a head on your shoulders I think the Vee may work out better. The power to weight ratio on your case would be similar to most new riders on a Wee.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Talking to guys at work, they think I could handle a VEE or Bandit. I'm 6'04" and 290lbs...............
Damn, I should hope so!

From a former LEO, a couple of inches shorter and 5 lbs. lighter than you. You will have no problem with this bike at all. I came off a 750 cruiser and had no trouble adapting to the extra height. The Vee is an easy bike to ride slow, and can give you some grins if you twist it. It is a great 1 up or 2 up highway machine. I usually just putz around town and rarely exceed 10 over. It is way more bike than I need, but it is everything I want. :bom_policeman:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Both would work for you, but if you are going to be two up with your weight plus wife the DL1000 with slightly lowered gearing might be best. (Having siad that, I rode my bike 500 miles at 75 to 85 mph with me (around 250 lbs at the time) and a passenger that weighed at least 220 lbs and had no issues.)

..Tom
I agree 100%. Go for 1000. If you have some expirince in riding you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I've got no pavement/road experience so I'm definitley going to take a beginner/safety class before I get back on 2 wheels.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I've got no pavement/road experience so I'm definitley going to take a beginner/safety class before I get back on 2 wheels.
Good idea. At your size the Vee's weight and balance should be little issue for you. The bike can be ridden as gently as needed while you gain street experience. Most, but not all of the dirt bike experience you have will translate directly to the pavement.

Take it slow, do your best to get out of town and to back roads with little traffic. It's an easier environment in which to ride and a lot safer. But I guess you probably know that better than anyone.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Talking to guys at work, they think I could handle a VEE or Bandit. I'm 6'04" and 290lbs.
Any ideas? I want to stick with the sport tourer style, no crotch rockets. I also want to be able to grow into it and later down the road, ride two up with my soon to be wife. Ride safe & THANKS!
No offence to my fellow Stromtroopers, but if you are planning to stay on pavement I would at least check out the fit on the Bandit. From what I understand they are not as spacious as the Vee but more road ready out of the box. Most of us do a little tinkering with the Vee. If you expect to hit gravel, fire trails, light off-road the Strom gets my vote. :yesnod:

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 for the Vee.

I just picked up a Wee. I'm positive it would do what you want, but you'd probably have more fun with the Vee considering the load weight to available power ratio.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Any of those three bikes would work. It's probably going to be a while before you do any two-up touring so the extra power is moot when it comes with extra weight.

You really should go sit on them and if possible, ride them. Bandit and DL650 are both available with ABS, which I'd think is something you'd want after seeing so many aftermath situations.

Check out the website Motorcycle Ergonomics to get some idea of how you will fit. Keep in mind the only size difference between DL650 andDL1000 is seat height and they are interchangable.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am the same height as you and 15 lbs heavier (starting work on that tomorrow btw).

Until a month ago I rode an '06 Vee. Loved the bike, it is a great fit for tall riders. Last week I threw a leg over the new Bandit based Susuki sport tourer and was really surprised at how small, narrow, and low to the ground it felt to me. I really think you would like the Vee better.

You will have no issues with height, it's light, and it has a really good grin factor. One of our posters has called it an "age appropriate crotch rocket" and that is a fair description. You will want to replace the seat, get a fork brace, and probably a Power Commander.

I miss my Vee, if you get one I hope you have as much fun as I did. Great all around motorcycle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts