StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
who was stopped inside one of the longer curved tunnels....

You are DAMN lucky I was on my VStrom and not in my F350 towing the large toy hauler:yikes:

You owe me a pair of shorts:furious:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Idiot driver.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Breaking News!

"Woman found almost dead in BRP Tunnel."

Woman was pull from her stopped vehicle and beat repeatedly by unknown biker then ran over and left for dead.
DNA was left at the scene in the form of a stained pair of underwear found stuffed in the victim's mouth.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Woman was pull from her stopped vehicle and beat repeatedly by unknown biker then ran over and left for dead.
DNA was left at the scene in the form of a stained pair of underwear found stuffed in the victim's mouth.

True story, not to high jack this thread

A bunch of my buddies were on this back road, heading to the Jersey Shore, when an a$$hole in a van was tailgating us, then TRIED to pass us, when he ran out of room, pushed his way into the middle of the pack of riders (only about 5-6)

When my buddy flipped him off, the guy floored it, got a head of us. STOPPED, and got out of his van and approached us with a bat/staff in his hand...when all 6 of us got off our bikes, he decided to get back in the van and take off

Moral: Batman doesn't like bikers

·
Forum Admin
11,174 Posts
True story, not to high jack this thread

A bunch of my buddies were on this back road, heading to the Jersey Shore, when an a$$hole in a van was tailgating us, then TRIED to pass us, when he ran out of room, pushed his way into the middle of the pack of riders (only about 5-6)

When my buddy flipped him off, the guy floored it, got a head of us. STOPPED, and got out of his van and approached us with a bat/staff in his hand...when all 6 of us got off our bikes, he decided to get back in the van and take off

Moral: Batman doesn't like bikers

I saw that same thing happening just a few days ago. However, this tard was also towing a huge boat trailer behind his F250! Pushed his way into a group of harley riders...
:jawdrop:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Came close but there would have been witnesses:thumbdown:

I think they were just looking around- guess maybe they've never been in a tunnel.
For those that don't know tunnels on the BRP are not lit like many newer tunnels.
Most are short and straight enough one can see all the way through them, so a stopped car would be obvious. Some, though are long enough with a bend in them so they can't be seen through from one end to the other.

After my panic stop she drove on and pulled into the first overlook...I went by slowly giving her the stink eye for sure- freakin' moron.

No offense to anyone but when I got home and was telling the wife- her first question- were they from Florida?
Seems the NC mountains are overrun with people who have never been on a road with curves or hills, judging with how they drive up there usually with a death grip on the wheel and going 1/3 the speed limit.:mrgreen:

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
I have had some really close calls with cyclists in the tunnels, why in the hell they all do not wear hi viz and or at minimum have a flashing red light mounted under their seat just baffles me. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The tunnels on the BRP are not to be taken without pucker.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
who was stopped inside one of the longer curved tunnels....

You are DAMN lucky I was on my VStrom and not in my F350 towing the large toy hauler:yikes:

You owe me a pair of shorts:furious:
Granted, she was an idiot, but you were guilty of overriding your sight line. You never know what's going to be stopped on the road ahead of you, or for what reason.
If you had hit her, it would have been your fault.

You HAVE to be able to stop in the distance you can see.

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
Granted, she was an idiot, but you were guilty of overriding your sight line. You never know what's going to be stopped on the road ahead of you, or for what reason.
If you had hit her, it would have been your fault.

You HAVE to be able to stop in the distance you can see.
You ever ridden the BRP?

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
You ever ridden the BRP?
No, but I'm not sure why that would matter. I have ridden lots of very twisty roads, all over the country. Some with good visibility, some where it sucked. The basic rule is that if you can't stop in the space that you can see, you're going too fast. Is there something special about the BRP that makes that not valid??

The lady who stopped made a conscious decision to do so, which was certainly dumb. But she could have been stopped there for reasons beyond her control. (Out of gas, flat tire, hit a deer...etc.) You have to expect the unexpected, and you have to expect people to do stupid stuff. God knows they won't disappoint you. :)
Any time I'm surprised by something happening around me, that's an indication that I've made a mistake. The only exception I can think of to that is an animal bolting into your path, that's the one random event I don't think I can control as well as I'd like to.
If I was in the OPs shoes I'd have been irritated at the lady, but I'd have been really pissed off at myself for not leaving more margin.

·
Registered
22,196 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The point of the OP's argument is that she had stopped in a blind tunnel. I am very familiar with these BRP blind tunnels. They are fast approaching and it takes your eyes a moment to adjust to the temporary black-out. They are carved in a curve so there is no light at the end of the tunnel until you ride thru the curve. It would be a challenge to even to most prepared rider to encounter a stopped vehicle mid tunnel.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To add a challenge to stopping in a tunnel- some of them are wet inside due to water dripping through from above.
I think it was when I had my SV650 that I entered a tunnel on the BRP one autumn and discovered the road surface in the tunnel was coated in a thin sheet of black ice.

Somehow I managed to stay upright>

I think the puckered place was still in the seat when I sold that bike a few years later...(note to RichDesmond- I'm joking, there was no pucker).

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
its so easy to override sight lines on the BRP, its an engineered road, no surprises of decreasing radius, any time there is, its well marked ahead, same with scenic pull offs and entrances, they are well marked ahead

the ONLY surprises are idiots that stop in blind curves and deer
Thanks Randy you answered the question for me, and the "many" tunnels adds a much more dangerous situation at times for all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts