StromTrooper banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would add that getting as far back as you can on soft sand is very important on the strom...
Makes soft sand ssoooo much easier..
The 650 Strom is THE worst bike I've ever ridden in sand.
Very short travel, harsh suspension like the Stroms, is unforgiving in sand.
Also, on wet days, I wind out most of the preload front and rear. This really helps in mud, especially that greasy red clay we get around here...
I find airing down to about 20 psi/138 kPa front, 25psi/172kPa rear works about as good as it gets with my Dunlop Trail Max's in sand/thick gravel. They are better than the stock Bridgestones, but still squirrely. Knobbies would be better.
If I was to ride a lot of sand & mud, I'd get bar risers and setbacks to stand more upright. I feel like I am too leaned forward standing with the stock setup.

US-spec DL650s do not have adjustable front preload.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I find airing down to about 20 psi/138 kPa front, 25psi/172kPa rear works about as good as it gets with my Dunlop Trail Max's in sand/thick gravel. They are better than the stock Bridgestones, but still squirrely. Knobbies would be better.
If I was to ride a lot of sand & mud, I'd get bar risers and setbacks to stand more upright. I feel like I am too leaned forward standing with the stock setup.

US-spec DL650s do not have adjustable front preload.
US-spec DL650s do not have adjustable front preload. I did not know that...
I've destroyed 2 rims so far on my 2015 650, so now don't go below 28 PSI front and rear..
Motoz tractionator Desert HT rear, Scorpion rally front...

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,966 Posts
Agreed, and no M/X attack position crouch, unless they are about to hit something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks for all the tips folks, lots to read. I have lowerd the pegs using the kit sugested (allready had bar risers). Standing is a lot more comfortable. great info ont he pros/cons of lowered PSI, and great riding position vid. wider pegs ordered as feet were pretty sore after doing a couple of hrs of standing. Still go round corners on groomed gravel more confidently and faster sitting, but just practice I presume.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
100% for standing. The difference in stability and control is huge. There are a million opinions on how to stand, basically find a position that is comfy for you and practice. Watch a bunch of youtube videos on how to stand on an adventure bike, there are hundreds of them.

Two things everyone agrees on:
1. Don't deathgrip the handlebars, you should have a relaxed grip so you can use the controls
2. Grip the bike with you knees
Handlebars are just for steering input and operating controls. They aren't (supposed to be) what's actually keeping you connected to the bike. This actually leads directly to . . .

Gripping with your knees is vital, even on pavement if you're moving fast through corners. I was having trouble sliding around on the seat because I couldn't maintain a grip on the tank. I added some TechSpec Gripster tank grips, and the improvement was much better than I had even hoped. They are kind of expensive, given what they are, but they seriously work as advertised.

Reactions: Stromation

·
Registered
45 Posts
This Bret Tkacs video actually covers it pretty well.

Reactions: Stromation

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
80 Posts
Since I have a GoldWing the footpeg swap will be easy. This is a great info find!
Took my first ride on the Strom yesterday (after two weeks of -0F high temps) and immediately desired to lower the pegs. I'm not tall (5'-9" max), but the leg/knee position is overly bent.
Wing pegs should be available cheap everywhere because of all the stupid floorboard and heel/toe shift kits folks install. (Mine had these installed and couldn't wait to remove them as soon as I got it home).
Decades ago, When I was young and crazy, I grew up on small dirt bikes. Before long travel suspension a seat was mostly decoration. I haven't been dirt riding since getting back on a bike 15 years ago with sport touring and now the Wing, but know standing and stretching is important on long riding intervals as well as rough (relatively) road and/or terrain, inclines and "what's ahead" vision improvement.
I certainly don't intend to "off road" the V, but its primary use will be gravel/forestry roads which are almost endless locally. But, one has to travel there and back also. Most all of that doesn't require any standing but keeping the legs comfortable though out the ride helps a bunch.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
80 Posts
If any Stom'ers might be looking to try Goldwing pegs they could try and place a WTB (wanted to buy) ad on one of the Goldwing forums. The forum I frequently browse returned prompt replies and offers from members who had installed boards and didn't need the pegs/mounts anymore. No shops around the northern part of the state that do trike conversations, so private sellers might be a good second choice.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,966 Posts
I certainly don't intend to "off road" the V, but its primary use will be gravel/forestry roads which are almost endless locally. But, one has to travel there and back also. Most all of that doesn't require any standing but keeping the legs comfortable though out the ride helps a bunch.
Consider a footpeg lowering kit for whatever footpeg you prefer. It may seem just a little amount but the result is noticeably more comfortable sitting and more "in rather than on" the bike when standing. Footpeg and Control Lowering Kit

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
80 Posts
Since I have a GoldWing the footpeg swap will be easy. This is a great info find!
Took my first ride on the Strom yesterday (after two weeks of -0F high temps) and immediately desired to lower the pegs. I'm not tall (5'-9" max), but the leg/knee position is overly bent.
Wing pegs should be available cheap everywhere because of all the stupid floorboard and heel/toe shift kits folks install. (Mine had these installed and couldn't wait to remove them as soon as I got it home).
Decades ago, When I was young and crazy, I grew up on small dirt bikes. Before long travel suspension a seat was mostly decoration. I haven't been dirt riding since getting back on a bike 15 years ago with sport touring and now the Wing, but know standing and stretching is important on long riding intervals as well as rough (relatively) road and/or terrain, inclines and "what's ahead" vision improvement.
I intended to quote and insert posts #2, 3 & 12 among others from this thread, so apologize if the GoldWing peg references didn't make sense (but most probably knew this already)

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
80 Posts
So I went ahead and swapped the Wing's pegs onto the V-Strom today. Makes it "way much more" better.
From another thread.
More info here:/
What maintenance/mods/farkles did you do to your Strom... (post #4810)!!

Swapped out the factory foot pegs for the ones on my Goldwing. Thanks to some posts elsewhere on this site I learned they are a direct fit swap. Much better, too. A bit lower (1/2-3/4") and wider so when standing the arches won't take so much pressure. Amazing how much difference a half inch or a bit more makes in the knee positioning.
It was mentioned that the Wing pegs might angle down very slightly. They did, so I ground down the sides of some thin washers for shim material and then drilled an 1/8" hole into the backer plate on the peg mounts and ran a small sheet metal screw into it to hold the washer behind the peg. Perfectly level and flat now and they feel great.
Thought I took a picture so it would explain better the shim/washer, but apparently the phone didn't capture or save it.

Now I need to find a replacement set for the pegless Wing before I forget. Maybe some mini boards. Maybe not...

41 - 55 of 55 Posts