Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir,
I'm slowly getting to be one of those "geezers" mentioned in a couple of the other thread on this forum, sans the bald head and fat gut. I do however have quite a long history with Suzuki motorcycles. Beginning with the '71 Titan T500 and continuing with the GT series and GS series. I spent years road racing Suzuki's bulletproof GT750 engine and while I mourned the end of the two-stroke era, I admired the stellar builds that your firm fielded in its first attempt at large capacity street motorcycles.

We've all seen your Big Red competition dump millions upon millions into projects without a future in the market today and the costs of those ventures built into the pricing structure of the products they market and sell today. I will congratulate Suzuki for not getting tempted into doing the same. In fact, as far as I'm aware, the last time that Suzuki did that it was with the fabled and troubled RE5 of the late 60's and early 70's. The lesson was evidently learned and learned well at that point.

Anyway, the point of this letter isn't to relive history...and I'll let others tell you how they would like to "improve" the machine but I for one, appreciate it and it's low cost. I'm here just to say "thank you". Thanks for building the Vstrom (1000) and being able to price it thousands below anything comparable on the market today. Thanks for putting it a good quality build, a very reliable engine and solid, reliable components.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Well said, Jeff, and I have to agree.

I see people complaining about the seat, the screen, the bars, the cans, turn signals, lights, electrical capacity, pretty much everything you can mention. I've seen people griping about the lack of shaft drive and belt drive and electric windscreens and tons of other junk. However I seldom see anyone complain about the price or reliability, or compliment Suzuki on keeping prices down and reliability high. The V-Strom is a highly reliable mid-priced bike. Suzuki has done an excellent job in that respect as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
252 Posts
He finally said something I agree with... lol

Seriously though Jeff, well said. Vstrom owners traditionally complain about their bikes so much that we've developed a reputation for it. Some of the shortcomings of the bike are there for a reason, to keep the cost down. Take for instance the suspension. It could use some love, but it's fine for 95% percent of the V-strom's target user that doesn't want to pay for the fancy bling. ...and what's wrong with the seat?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He finally said something I agree with... lol

Seriously though Jeff, well said. Vstrom owners traditionally complain about their bikes so much that we've developed a reputation for it. Some of the shortcomings of the bike are there for a reason, to keep the cost down. Take for instance the suspension. It could use some love, but it's fine for 95% percent of the V-strom's target user that doesn't want to pay for the fancy bling. ...and what's wrong with the seat?

LOL...point taken!

You're right, it isn't equiped with topshelf components but that's the beauty of it. Those of us with an urge to mod things can do so at no cost to very little. I reworked my seat padding and added the beads for 600miles days(couldn't do 100 w/o pain on the stocker) and the total cost was 55 bucks for the beads! The shocks as you mentioned aren't great, but they work ok for a bike that I bought new out the door for less then 8k. A couple of springs, a little "dicking with" the cartridges and a different weight oil up front and it's better then some other bikes new...again, total cost 100 bucks. I'll pull the rear when it's time and do something with it too...and it won't cost me an arm or a leg. What I was really looking for was a do-it-all that would be reliable as a stone. Suzuki produced it in spades with this bike.

jeff

·
Registered
74 Posts
DL1000

The only thing I wish was on the DL1000 is the antilock brakes. It is the ugliest bike that I have learned to love. It does everything I want it to do and then some. I hope to see this model continue in the future. It is one fun and reliable bike to own. Suzuki needs to put more advertising into this model. Not all of us want cruisers or rockets.
Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts