StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do some off road trail/ camping trips with my 14 wee. We have a lot of Sand and Mud down here in the south and I'm thinking Lots more grip. Has anybody knobbied the rubber or do you just suggest an 80/20. I'd love to find a spare set of Rims to make it easier to swap but not having much luck with abs compatibles for mine. I can find non abs all day long but dont want idiot light staring me in the face all day long.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Dirt bias 80/20 will suck as they sing to you on pavement and wear quickly. 705's will be just as good as race slicks in the deep sand or mud. The are considered to be an 80/20 tire but 80% street bias 20% dirt.

As far as the idiot light staring you in the face, unplug the bulb or put a piece of electrical tape over it.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
I've run several sets of Shinko 705's but tried an 805 on a 2K mile trip to Colorado. I liked the 805 better than the 705.
I didn't think the 705 I had would have made the 2 K trip at's why I tried the 805. I'm low miles at this time so both tires are waiting for a chance to get worn out.
The spare Strom provided the donor rim for the 805.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been watching Fleebay for rims but worried about bent or warped and not able to get my money back

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
I got a salvage that needed forks. Everything else seems to be in fine fettle. Forks cost more than the bike, thanks to a member here, I am Smiling.
Rims are a bugger, i got a set for a beemer and spent as much on straightening as I did for the wheels. I was lucky to break even selling them.
Minor dents can be easily fixed by the right folks.

·
Administrator
5,767 Posts
I am on my 2nd or 3rd set of Mitas E-07's. They are 50/50 tyres.

Nothing will turn your V-Strom into a dirt bike. Covering long sections of soft, deep sand, or mud, are only for the skilled that can ride at higher speeds while on the pegs and that can quickly correct any wiggle while keeping the throttle pinned. Even they will eventually have an incident.

For the majority of us, the V-Strom is a bike capable of traveling across the country while still being able to venture onto unsealed roads or even formed tracks. The V-Strom is so heavy that in loose or wet conditions it will willingly fall into, and follow, any rut.

A firm undersurface with an inch of sand, dirt or gravel? No problems for a good rider with 50/50 tyres where it may be concerning on OEM rubber.

Knoblies? They are not as grippy on sealed roads (or in the wet) and will wear quicker, but they are great in the loose stuff. You just need to be aware of where your chosen tyres perform - and where you need to take more care.

p.s. .....and where, if you do not like repair bills, to turn around and go back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At Half a century old, I have found out that "Adulting" can be hard work! But I'm a dam good rider on and off road. I ain't too afraid of getting into some nasties, just need the extra grip to make sure I can get through. I plan on heading out on the dirt and gravel trails in the National forest for some quality No Techno alone time. No cell, No Email, No Nothing, but me, the Bike, my Hammock, a fire and some food. Besides the Wife like me out of the house so she can sleep in on weekends. lol

Sounds like Heaven don't it LOL

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
At Half a century old, I have found out that "Adulting" can be hard work! But I'm a dam good rider on and off road. I ain't too afraid of getting into some nasties, just need the extra grip to make sure I can get through. I plan on heading out on the dirt and gravel trails in the National forest for some quality No Techno alone time. No cell, No Email, No Nothing, but me, the Bike, my Hammock, a fire and some food. Besides the Wife like me out of the house so she can sleep in on weekends. lol

for what you are planing to do (sand and mud) seems like 50/50 will be the right tires. Perhaps Mitas E07. BTW - If you are interested in rear ABS wheel for 2012-16 650 send me PM.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
For sand and mud you most certainly want the Shinko 804/805, the E07 as good as it is.....won't be nearly as good in those conditons. Yes I've run them both, love the Shinko big blocks and currently am running the E07. I see little reason to ever buy the 705 again, IMHO the 804/805 is better in every way.

Reactions: Railrocker

·
Premium Member
5,070 Posts
E07s are superb on my KLR and better on the highway for grip than the previous Scouts but allow moderate off pavement. Been building more confidence in their lean angle on out range roads,,.

but Dunlop 606s will go exactly where you point them off road

I was much more confident with them on of avoiding front wheel wash outs and they could climb out of rain gullies effortlessly.

They howl like mad on pavement and you do need to keep highway speeds down. But out on my own solo they are what I'd want on a heavy bike the the 650 Vstrom.

Once worn out and since I'm not doing anything even close to off road anymore the E07s were a good choice. Decent on forest track did sand okay tho I wasn't happy ....bit too much white knuckle as we were as speed on sand over pavement and was hard to see the drifts but of course there is no choice but to sit back and stay power on ...The Mitas did well even if the rider was somewhat terrified :D

Really for what the price of rims buy a KLR for the purpose. They are lighter, 21" front wheel and lots of grunt

https://www.smartcycleguide.com/kawasaki-klr650-motorcycles-for-sale-in-mississippi

The 2008 listed for $2500

would be a good choice tho my 2004 is still going strong 15 years later.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Another E07 fanboy here....I'm on my 3rd set at 30K-ish miles. Don't push them when it's wet, it's just not worth the risk even though they do stick surprisingly well.

"At Half a century old, I have found out that "Adulting" can be hard work! But I'm a dam good rider on and off road. I ain't too afraid of getting into some nasties, just need the extra grip to make sure I can get through. I plan on heading out on the dirt and gravel trails in the National forest for some quality No Techno alone time. No cell, No Email, No Nothing, but me, the Bike, my Hammock, a fire and some food. Besides the Wife like me out of the house so she can sleep in on weekends. lol"

I do exactly that and ride alone 50% of the time. If you look down in the 'ride Reports(Route Sheets)' sub section you can find a thread or two on my adventures. I will say this since you specifically mentioned sand and mud. Brockie is right, long stretches of deep sand or mud are tough on these heavy pigs. I try to avoid those two things as much as possible even though I consider myself a capable rider. If the trail is rough and dry I will ride it all day, if it's wet and muddy I wait until it dries to tackle it.

Anyway, a good 50/50 tire like the E07 will open up another world for you and your DL. They are a bitch to mount with spoons.....don't even try it. Use a manual machine like Harbor Freight at the minimium, Mojo blocks and a No Scuff tire tool and tons of lube.

·
Vendor
5,265 Posts
I'm looking to do some off road trail/ camping trips with my 14 wee. We have a lot of Sand and Mud down here in the south and I'm thinking Lots more grip. Has anybody knobbied the rubber or do you just suggest an 80/20. I'd love to find a spare set of Rims to make it easier to swap but not having much luck with abs compatibles for mine. I can find non abs all day long but dont want idiot light staring me in the face all day long.

If you really mean "a lot of sand and mud" go with one of the big block tires (e.g., TKC 80, Shinko 805, kenda big block). Heavy bikes do not do well in either and you will need ALL the knob you can get. Just remember that while they still work well on the pavement, they are not as good as the stock tires at hard emergency cornering. No matter what anyone tells you. I rode behind someone who nailed a car's hood with his bike and himself flipped over the car because of an inability to negotiate a hard turn with worn big block tires.

So my advice would be to go with an 80/20 tire like the Shinko 705, or the EO7, avoid the mud and sand as much as possible.

But that just me. I prefer real dirt bikes and real dual sports for real dirt.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts

For what you are planning to do, take your cell phone.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
For what you are planning to do, take your cell phone.:wink2:
A SPOT or Delorme InReach is better. If you crash and are disabled friends and family can see exactly where you stopped and send help. I know that can be done with a cell phone, but only if you have cell svc in that area.

I use a SPOT...it's the cheaper of the two.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am on my 2nd or 3rd set of Mitas E-07's. They are 50/50 tyres.

Nothing will turn your V-Strom into a dirt bike. Covering long sections of soft, deep sand, or mud, are only for the skilled that can ride at higher speeds while on the pegs and that can quickly correct any wiggle while keeping the throttle pinned. Even they will eventually have an incident.

For the majority of us, the V-Strom is a bike capable of traveling across the country while still being able to venture onto unsealed roads or even formed tracks. The V-Strom is so heavy that in loose or wet conditions it will willingly fall into, and follow, any rut.

A firm undersurface with an inch of sand, dirt or gravel? No problems for a good rider with 50/50 tyres where it may be concerning on OEM rubber.

Knoblies? They are not as grippy on sealed roads (or in the wet) and will wear quicker, but they are great in the loose stuff. You just need to be aware of where your chosen tyres perform - and where you need to take more care.

p.s. .....and where, if you do not like repair bills, to turn around and go back.
Oh yeah I can tell you I learned the hard way with the limitations of the mag wheels I decided to take a seven mile Jeep / dirt bike trail that has been chewed to Pieces by razors and other side by sides I was at the point of no return when I got into the baby head rocks in the middle of a steep vertical ascent. I had no incidents directly but made contact with skid plate several times and heard a few loud bangs coming from the front I figured my disks were deflecting rocks I stayed upright the whole time made it back to paved Road and realized that I had flat spoted my front mag .. Later with some persuasion from a wood block and a 3lb hammer I fixed it most of the way but it could never truly be fixed without possibly cracking the metal. The wobble it created was unbearable I had to buy a new mag on eBay not worth it definitely has limitations trust your gut don't put yourself in that spot It will go anywhere with the right Rider but you'll beat the bike to pieces and it is a beast when the going gets tough you find out how big the bike really is reminds me of riding a water buffalo on a Switchback Mountain Pass doable but not easy

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm running an E07 rear right now but I don't like it in the sand half as much as the 805 if you know your going to be seeing alot of it then it would be a no brainier for me. Nothing at all wrong with the E07 but you can't beat the 805 paddle in the deep loose stuff.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your not pushing your limits of self control and not exercising your limits and abilities your not really riding. I've ridden many many bikes over the years, from Pee Wee MX100's to fully dressed Ventura's, Yz 490's to Full bagger Hogs. I'm not a little guy and I put this 650 a little heavier than the KLR but not overly so much that would keep me from hitting the dirt with it. No this bike is not the jumping, Wheeling Machine of most Dirt purpose bikes but I'm really surprised how agile the 650 V Strom really is. No way am I going off road without some serious grip and I ain't no spring Chicken able to take the pounding I use to. Southern Mississippi is relatively flat as compared to most other places in the country. Most I have to worry about is a little soft sand and a few mud holes to skirt around. but for the most part the ground it pretty firm here. Who's up for a Ride???? lol

·
Administrator
5,767 Posts
Fine - I agree, but the E-07 will last longer and be very capable on the tarmac at highway speeds.
Select your tyres for what matters to you most. My Versys-X 300 is far more capable offroad on OEM 90/10 tyres than my V-Strom would ever be, no matter what tyre I put on it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts