StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I don't have a garage (yet), I park my bike on a covered concrete patio when I can. As BBQ weather gets nicer, we are using the patio more often. I'm left with the option of putting a motorcycle cover on the bike most days, or just leaving it out.

What's the most common practice for every day? Cover it up protecting it from sun and rain (but it's a PITA), or just leaving it out?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
When I lived in an apartment and had to park in the lot, I always covered it. The sun can be really damaging over time to things like paint and plastic, not to mention coming outside and seeing a load of bird crap all over your tank and seat. I think a cover is also good protection against touchy-feely people who'll walk by your bike and just do something silly, like turn on the kill switch (or even worse, sit on your bike).

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Unfortunately at present, I have 2 bikes out on the back patio, both with covers on them. The garage is filled with cars and bikes, so I have no choice, one will be gone will be gone shortly as I descend yet again into "Carburetor Repair."
But if outside I keep covers on them, one a Dowco guardian, another is a freebie I got for attending a Kawasaki event. Both work well.
But the best Ive got is a Suzuki-branded "Vstrom Outside Cover", built like Fort Knox, heavy and ordered from Robbins Foundry in England.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Unfortunately at present, I have 2 bikes out on the back patio, both with covers on them. The garage is filled with cars and bikes, so I have no choice, one will be gone will be gone shortly as I descend yet again into "Carburetor Repair."
But if outside I keep covers on them, one a Dowco guardian, another is a freebie I got for attending a Kawasaki event. Both work well.
But the best Ive got is a Suzuki-branded "Vstrom Outside Cover", built like Fort Knox, heavy and ordered from Robbins Foundry in England.

Robinson's Foundry.

·
Administrator
5,722 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Luckily I can garage mine but when on the road I always cover it.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Luckily I can garage mine but when on the road I always cover it.
Same here, I always cover when traveling. Overnight or during the day if not in use. I also cover in the garage when I won't be riding for a few days or over winter.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Mine stays in the garage when at home. I have a deep bay on one side, long enough for a boat. I park my SUV in first, then the Tenere sits sideways behind it and the door just shuts. If push come to shove, I will leave a car outside before the bike.

When I am on the road, I just leave it out. No covers for me.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You're planning to build a garage? I'd buy a used gazebo shelter, they can be really cheap($).

·
Registered
56 Posts
My bike lives in the driveway, always covered except when being ridden. I have my main cover and a thinner, lighter nylon one for travel. The travel cover packs down to a very small bundle so it doesn't claim a lot of valuable space.

The current parking cover is a Nuzari, and I'm quite pleased with it. The travel cover is a Nelson-Rigg.

My bike gets put in a rented storage unit every winter, from about Thanksgiving weekend until I can't stand not having it easily available, usually mid to late March.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
If I ever have to go back to storing the bike outside, I think I'll be getting something like this:

Easy in and out for the bike, and no fighting with the cover on windy days. Plus, the cover doesn't touch the bike anywhere.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another option to consider is a 10x10 pop up shelter. You can find them pretty cheap and some have removable sides as well. They can be anchored to the ground by using long spikes or setting them up on concrete blocks and tieing the base to the blocks.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
As I don't have a garage (yet), I park my bike on a covered concrete patio when I can. As BBQ weather gets nicer, we are using the patio more often. I'm left with the option of putting a motorcycle cover on the bike most days, or just leaving it out.

What's the most common practice for every day? Cover it up protecting it from sun and rain (but it's a PITA), or just leaving it out?
Cover if outside, but only with a breathable waterproof cover. Don't want to trap moisture underneath. In that case you would be better off not to cover.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
If I ever have to go back to storing the bike outside, I think I'll be getting something like this:

Easy in and out for the bike, and no fighting with the cover on windy days. Plus, the cover doesn't touch the bike anywhere.
I Love it! Great concept.

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
I find the Nelson Rigg UV-2000 half cover is ideal for use at work. At home I have a walled carport but I still cover it to prevent dust collecting. Soon however I'll have a real garage.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,223 Posts
Cover on the road. Garage at home.

Some thoughtful person set up a overhead shelter where I work. It's actually a car port turned sideways, at one edge of the parking lot.

Would be nice if it had sides as well, but just having the roof helps a LOT. No getting on an oven-temperature seat in the afternoon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I find the Nelson Rigg UV-2000 half cover is ideal for use at work. At home I have a walled carport but I still cover it to prevent dust collecting. Soon however I'll have a real garage.
Can I ask what size you use?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts