StromTrooper banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
A turkey baster, very handy for doing brake fluid changes and saves you from having to pump the whole reservoir full of old fluid through the lines. Use to suck the old fluid out of the reservoirs without getting air in the lines.
The little pumps out of a soft soap or hand lotion bottle work well too. Both for brake fluid and also can be used for setting the fork oil level, either cut off to the correct depth, or add a little tubing or straw to make it the right length.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Turn a roll of duct tape on it's side inside a saddle bag. Place a paper cup of take out coffee inside the hole of the duct tape. Voila: coffee cup holder and emergency duct tape all in one!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dollar General dish brush. $1
Hard bristled perfect chain brush. Dealer wants $18 for something similar.
2B4D5BFB-C9D7-47FE-9E79-A6C0B13991CC.jpeg

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I like that Pledge multi surface cleaner. Haven't used it on a motorcycle, but I would.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Be careful, a stiff brush can damage the o rings.
Very true. I have the expensive chain shaped brush and this cheap one.
The bristles are almost identical. I assumed the cheapo would start losing bristles but it’s been 6 months and holding together.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My bike has been stripped down to just the engine in the frame, I have been using water-less hand cleaner and a toothbrush to clean areas on the frame and engine while it sits in the shop. Less mess not using water in my case. It works very well.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
When it comes to working on bikes, I don't tend to cut corners. Bought a set of real JIS screwdrivers for the few 'phillips' screws that we have. Use Plexus on the windshield, high quality ceramic 'coating' for wax, no Harbor Freight tools on anything I need to rely on. Mother's Stainless Polish for stainless. Actually have an electric vacuum pump and catch tank that I use for clearing out master cylinders. I maintain a stable of scooters, bikes, and cars, so most of the products and tools are used on most of the vehicles. Growing up, never saw a decent tool, was always scrambling, then when I left home couldn't afford many tools, likewise. So now I buy good (but not great) tools, use the proper chemicals and treatments. There is a difference between being frugal and being cheap. My brother is cheap, regales me with stories of spending hours getting something to work that is not really intended to work in that fashion. Used to ride with him, but his bikes usually broke down about once an hour, although he usually had the necessary duct tape and baling wire to get them back on the road. Used some heavy-duty generic degreaser on one bike, and it started to soften the coating on the cases. For ever after, I use the car-type engine degreaser, works about as good and is paint-safe. Using the right stuff might cost a hundred dollars a year. I think I can swing 30 cents a day.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have 2 -

Regular old school Crest toothpaste - rubbing compound for scratch removal.

Plastic milk jug (or any jug) - cut them to shape to guide oil from where it comes from to where it should go. Like draining oil when you leave a skid plate installed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jimding, we must share a brother :p.

When I think about the times I've used the auto club emergency services, in the past 3-4 years, its always been to get his bike to a facility to fix something minor, but not fixible at the side of the road. He doesn't even do that most basic of bike maintenance, which is washing it, and thereby coming across repair items.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
When it comes to working on bikes, I don't tend to cut corners. Bought a set of real JIS screwdrivers for the few 'phillips' screws that we have. Use Plexus on the windshield, high quality ceramic 'coating' for wax, no Harbor Freight tools on anything I need to rely on. Mother's Stainless Polish for stainless. Actually have an electric vacuum pump and catch tank that I use for clearing out master cylinders. I maintain a stable of scooters, bikes, and cars, so most of the products and tools are used on most of the vehicles. Growing up, never saw a decent tool, was always scrambling, then when I left home couldn't afford many tools, likewise. So now I buy good (but not great) tools, use the proper chemicals and treatments. There is a difference between being frugal and being cheap. My brother is cheap, regales me with stories of spending hours getting something to work that is not really intended to work in that fashion. Used to ride with him, but his bikes usually broke down about once an hour, although he usually had the necessary duct tape and baling wire to get them back on the road. Used some heavy-duty generic degreaser on one bike, and it started to soften the coating on the cases. For ever after, I use the car-type engine degreaser, works about as good and is paint-safe. Using the right stuff might cost a hundred dollars a year. I think I can swing 30 cents a day.
I'd not consider using alternatives as cutting corners.

I wonder if you could tell the difference if a windscreen was cleaned with $28 a can Plexus or a $4 can of Pledge. I know I can't.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I'd not consider using alternatives as cutting corners.

I wonder if you could tell the difference if a windscreen was cleaned with $28 a can Plexus or a $4 can of Pledge. I know I can't.
I wonder if I could tell the difference between using Pledge or Plexus. I suspect I could. An aircraft owner tried to tell me they were the same. Didn't seem like the Pledge did as good a job softening the bugs, protecting the plastic from scratching while cleaning, or left quite as good a protective shield on the plastic after. I'm not a polymer chemist, so I could be wrong. I also use the Plexus on plastic headlight covers and tallight lenses on bikes and cars as well as faceshields on helmets.. Seems to do a good job keeping the plastic from fogging or yellowing, and the surface does not dull, but remains quite glossy. Even after 15 years. I go through 2 cans in three year. I can afford it. Good thing is, we all get to make our choices. I use car wash soap for washing painted vehicles, some use dishwashing soap, even though most manufacturers recommend against it. In the short term, maybe not much difference. But again, the paint is still glossy after 15 years. Pretty much all my stuff is old, but it still looks fine. I plan to keep it that way.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I too use Pledge for cleaning face shield and the outer shell of the helmets as well as a detail spray for the hard surfaces of the bike. Heck I use it to clean up the surface of my lift and toolboxes. Look up the active ingredients in Plexus and Pledge. Its avalaible on the SDS sheets.

Plexus is listed as having naphtha & coconut oil. Pledge is listed as having you guessed it.....naphtha & silicone.

For me its not a affordability thing as I could simply pay someone to detail my motorcycle after each ride. I just cannot see paying $28 for a product when a $4 product works just as well.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Use aluminum foil to direct fluids away from motor & other areas to a catch pan. Coolant, engine oil, brake fluid. Other fluids etc...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts