StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To build on the frugal thread what do you use instead of a "motorcycle specific" product.

Pledge furniture polish - For detailing and windscreen cleaning vs Original Bike Spirit cleaner polish. Slightley less expensive and readily avalaible.

Save1.jpg

Hydrogen peroxide - Windscreen cleaning. Put in a spray bottle and spray down the windscreen. The bugs will bubble and ooze like a infected cut. After about 45 seconds wipe clean. Cheaper and just as effective as high dollar windscreen cleaner.

Save2.jpg

Purple Power degreaser. For $5 a gallon and can be diluted 1:1 to 15:1 for various cleaning tasks. This stuff just works and its inexpensive.

Save3.jpg

- Wooden chop sticks - Great for finding TDC and mixing epoxy. Free with you take out order.

- Aluminum foil and PB Blaster/WD-40 or any light oil are great for cleaning surface rust off chrome. Commonly avalaible

- Flux brushes are great for getting to the bottom of the anti seize container because the brush in the lid only extend about 1/2 way in to the container. Also good for applying grease or spline lube to splines. $0.20 a piece at any home center in the plumbing section.

- Home freezer is a great pace to store bearings. That way when you need them they are already cold and ready to be installed. Every house as at least one already. Not so much a money saver but a time saver.

- Harbor freight $8 heat gun. Great for lighting charcoal fires so now your burger won't taste like a Zippo, drying paint shrink tubing, forming plastic or taking stress white marks out of plastic body panels.

What say you. What are your money/time saving tips tricks?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I used my old $40 Target carry on airplane luggage. Few straps, couple of bolts down to the luggage rack. Took off all the unnecessary stuff. For a rear seat luggage. 2 bolts removed, take off seat and rear rack. Gone in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaf blower to dry those hard to reach nooks and crannies after washing the bike.
Shop vac with the hose in the exhaust also works a treat.

Kitty litter buckets for you cat owner make great garage trash cans + about 10,000 other uses. They could be a topic all unto themselves.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use old t-shirts as detailing and cleaning rags. I keep a knife or scissors handy, cut off a piece, use it, and keep the rest of the shirt for another day.

·
Registered
15,045 Posts
I tried some used Kitty litter around the motor to keep the mice from chewing on the wiring of a 4Runner parked in the drive.
The old kitchen and bath towels are in a heap in the garage along with tee shirts that shrank or I out grew.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
The whole bike can be a money-saver. Since I moved into my fiance's house, I hardly ride anymore. So....I save money on gasoline, the parked bike(s) have become multi-use implements that perform a myriad of functions: clothes drying racks, storage platforms for (her) gardening tools, gloves, yard pants, unused bird-feeders can hang from the hand-grips, wet umbrellas drape over the Givi trunk box, newspapers can be piled up on the Connie seat, etc.

·
Registered
346 Posts
$1 Ikea blue shopping bags as pannier liners. Bombproof, waterproof, and take up near zero space

·
Registered
155 Posts
LA's Totally Awesome cleaner from Dollar General.
$1 and $3 depending on size and has a million uses from degrease, tires to regular wash depending on how much you dilute it. Fantastic stuff!!

I'll have to try that Hydrogen Peroxide trick. Anything that it could harm?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I mounted my heated-grip controller using a rectangle cut from a license plate. Just stiff enough to support the controller, but thin enough to easily work with. I attached it using the Ram mount screws and the other end bears on the handgrip/hazard light clamp.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Made soft saddlebag supports from old hydraulic tubing.
My dad made a set of similar supports from old chair with chrome legs. They were stout and looked great.
My highway pegs are an old closet rod with truck bed-liner spray.

I could write a book on everything my Grandpa repurposed or made. I still have his home-made weed whacker (aluminum tubing, coat hanger wire and garden shears). I also have the grinding wheel and vise table (old washing machine motor, old record player cabinet (the kind with metal corners), picking sticks from cotton mill loom as the legs and a house type light switch). I smile every time I use it.

Grandpa was the definition of frugal so I come by it honest. He literally wrote every expense in a little notebook that he kept in his shirt pocket. When I say every expense, I mean including a penny into a bubblegum machine.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Flattened beer/soda cans also work great for putting under the side stand. Nice thing is there seems to be a constant supply of them in the garage trashcan so if I forget and leave one behind its no loss.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Flattened beer/soda cans also work great for putting under the side stand.
Must be a lot of recycling in my area, I cant seem to find them in the trash anymore. Also no longer available is the few drops of oil left in the container at gas station's trash cans. Good for lubing the chain when on the road. Now the oil quarts have screw tops, so if there's an ounce left people put the cap on and keep it.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If you have it in your market, Mr Sheen works better than Pledge. It's available in pressure pack and larger trigger packs but the aerosol one works better for lifting bugs off windshields and helmet visors.

A turkey baster, very handy for doing brake fluid changes and saves you from having to pump the whole reservoir full of old fluid through the lines. Use to suck the old fluid out of the reservoirs without getting air in the lines.

Vasoline, handy for protecting battery terminals as well as electrical plugs from corrosion. Even cheaper, get the store brand stuff. It's the same goo, just without the brand pricing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts