Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To braze, or not to braze: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous suspension,
Or to take heat and rod against a small hole,
And by sealing end them?

Gold valve install underway. Dampening Rod compression holes are drilled. Not really clear on the Race Tech instructions. Seems like they say leave the rebound holes as is.

Thoughts on the benefits of closing the small hole if any would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From reading the race Tech instructions I see no recommendations to braze the rebound hole in the dampening rod.

But I have seen posts about doing this as per Race Tech's instructions. They only talk about brazing the rebound hole in forks that have adjustable rebound which the strom does not have.

Am I wrong or is there a benefit to brazing the rebound hole???

·
Registered
75 Posts
Some people have brazed the holes and report positive results. I also thought the RaceTech Instructions kind of blew but found a great step-by-step instructions with photos on VSRI that walked me through the process. I did not braze the holes. Not sure what I should be looking for in terms of suspension feel whether rebound is under or overdamped. Not even entirely sure what benefit the emulator is providing. Although along with the spring replacement, there is a dramatic difference.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am familiar with the VSRI post. Ironically last night when I was ready to start this the link was dead. It is back now.

It does not appear that Just Dan brazed the holes shut. I have seen a few comments from Stromtrooper posts about Race Tech recommending the hole be brazed but I believe that people have not read the instructions properly. Yes I agree they are not well written.

I was just wondering if by brazing the hole the rebound is better.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Black Lab for your input.

Now that I know how easy it is to do work on the forks I am just going to button things up and go for a good hard ride. Then start tweaking. I think I will leave the rebound hole open for now. So for a 165lb Aggressive rider street and trail my starting point will be.

RT .85 linear
RT Emulator / Blue spring 1.75 turns
10 wt oil
Compression holes drilled to 5/16 X 6
Damper hole open (for now)
Fork brace

Here is a question. Why does the hole need to be brazed shut. Could it not be a small pop rivet. That way it would be easy to drill out cleanly again if desired.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I didn't braze the holes shut. The only time I think I should have is when I'm off road and hit something that really compresses the forks, they rebound super fast like a frikken pogo stick. On the asphalt I don't notice the rebound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts