StromTrooper banner

TKC 80 Front / Tourance Rear?

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  PeteW 
#1 ·
Ok, I've just spent a bucket load of time researching tires for our '07 and '11 Wee ABS's. I've narrowed the choices down to sticking with our Tourances or switching to TKC 80's front only or both. I'm wondering if anyone has tried mixing the two, with the more aggressive Conti up front for more lateral stability on gravel roads.

We recently completed a 6k mile trip from Minnesota through Ontario, Manitoba and Quebec, across the Tran Labrador Highway and on to Newfoundland then home via the remainder of the coastal provinces. To say that we enjoyed the TLH would be a gross understatement. Labrador's beauty and isolation will bring us back again. We don't go off road, but do go off paved roads a lot. They just seem to draw Amy and I but it's always stressful. Neither of us have much experience on dirt bikes so our skill level there is inexperienced at best. To top it off, we're planning an Alaskan trip next summer that will include traversing the Haul Road. Clearly I'd like to improve traction on loose surfaces for our heavily loaded Wee's.

Just as clearly, I think I have a rudimentary understanding of what some consequences of mixing the two tires would have. While cornering on wet or dry is rarely a problem given our conservative habits, I realize that braking may become an issue. We ride nearly exclusively where collisions with large animals is the predominant risk and even with the ABS, braking performance will change with this combo. The obvious choice would be to put TKC's on both wheels and accept the reduced wear necessitating at least rear tire changes during our annual big trips. This is not very appealing to me. The other obvious option is to stick with the Tourances that I'm mostly satisfied with and accept the gravel handling implications. I guess I'm always looking for what's not necessarily possible?

Now I will sit back and let others far more knowledgeable than I tell me where I'm wrong. Thanks, gary

See less See more
#3 ·
I've run this very combination a couple of summers ago on my '07 650A.

Ironically, I ended up doing a lot of highway riding and it worked fine - to a point. I keep my speed below 100 anyways.

The TKC/Tourance combo vastly improved my confidence on dirt and gravel roads. Previosly, with Tourances and/or Trail wings front and rear, the front end has a tendancy to wander wide in turns.

With the TKC/Tourance combo, the front held it's line better and stopped awfully well on dirt and gravel with the ABS system engaged.

After it was about half worn the TKC developed an unpleasant vibration when braking hard on pavement and required greater effort in turning. When I eventually replaced it with a Tourance, the bike felt like a motorcycle again.

#4 ·
Tkc80/Tourance mix

Waltgary; I have ridden with TKC80s F+R, Tourance F+R. Also TKC80 F and Tourance R combo.mix.

I rate all three combos. as v.good but with the mix just keep the speeds down a little. Braking and cornering are OK at sensible speeds.
My first choice for you would be the TKC80s F+R as this will inspire confidence on the dirt, on a couple of levels. The TKC80s are good on sealed roads too but of course a little noisy etc but that is a small issue.
The main issue in riding is confidence, particularly on dirt. So, as tyres in the U.S.A. are so very cheap ( a rear TKC80 150/70/17 costs $280 in Australia) Go for TKC80s.
Enjoy the ride, Enjoy your life

Saturn 5 (is envious of your great ride)

#5 ·
I mix them all the time. The tkc in the rear wears out too quickly so I like the tkc80 up front and a reinforced metzler marathon in the rear. I just drop the air down to 0 in the rear off road. It works amazing!

#6 · (Edited)
TKC-80 and anything else at the back is my choice for dirt.

Not ideal if it's boggy, but quite good on anything else.

Personally , I'd suggest something with a little more grip, a little less life on the rear.
Battlewing or Scorpion Trail will probably still out last 2 TKC-80 fronts and will give you quite a bit more rear grip. (On or off road).

The TKC-80 up front gives you enough grip up front that the bike will steer and turn O.K. and you get decent life out of the combo.

I found 33F, 28R a good choice of pressures, minimum chance of rim damage, enough control on dirt, and the back didn't keep trying to pass the front - plus no need to air up again for sealed sections.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.