StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first weekend of 2011 brings an annual festival to Sarasota:

If you like cruisers that corner at 12 MPH to avoid scraping the chrome ...

If you like bikers who have more tattoos than teeth ...

If you like women who can belch louder than their bikes,
and their bikes can be heard in Mexico ...

If you like funnel cakes and chewing tobacco ...

... then come and see the cultural highlight of my home town!

As a certain murderer said when he walked into his trial,
and looked at the jury of twelve good men and true,

"These are not my peers."​

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
The first weekend of 2011 brings an annual festival to Sarasota:

If you like cruisers that corner at 12 MPH to avoid scraping the chrome ...

If you like bikers who have more tattoos than teeth ...

If you like women who can belch louder than their bikes,
and their bikes can be heard in Mexico ...

If you like funnel cakes and chewing tobacco ...

... then come and see the cultural highlight of my home town!

As a certain murderer said when he walked into his trial,
and looked at the jury of twelve good men and true,

"These are not my peers."​
You're welcome to come up here for a visit. Personally, I'd rather freeze my ass off than risk what's left of my hearing for that.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Heard there's gonna be lotsa biker chicks at this event.....
Skippy, there are some things about Granny you don't want to know, just take my word for it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
A couple years ago I asked the Sarasota City Manager's office why the city put on display hundreds of machines that were in violation of several state and federal anti-noise ordinances. I was told they were given a waiver for "Thunder by the Bay." I couldn't get an answer to my follow-up question of why they are allowed to run like that year round.

There is a local TV show called "Born to Ride." A better name would be "Born to Make Noise, Call Attention to Ourselves, and Smell Bad."

The police department in Sarasota just will not enforce muffler laws. A major reason is that they all ride Harleys, hang out at the local Hog farm and go to their picnics. I stunned a local cop once when I collared him at Hap's Cycles and asked him why they allow wholesale lawbreaking. He was stunned that someone in a bike shop would ask such a question. Even he didn't know that we are not all alike.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
There is a local TV show called "Born to Ride." A better name would be "Born to Make Noise, Call Attention to Ourselves, and Smell Bad."
"Oh that was your bike?

I thought it was Hip Hop trhough some fifteen inch woofers.

Awsome Honda Fury, man..........keep keepin' real, bro."

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Copin' with the CHILL

In January 2010, Thunder by the Bay was scarcely attended, because the weather was chilly and rainy. I think the Weather Distribution Office sent us the weather for SARATOGA instead -- they sometimes do that, dang 'em.

And just now they are doing it again. It is warmer in Saint John's Newfoundland than it is in Sarasota. This morning, I rose with the birdies, and rode downtown in the dark, packing some warm clothing. I went to the Main Transfer Point for Sarasota County Area Transit, our downtown bus terminal.

A lot of chilly people were huddled and shivering, and I handed out warm parkas to three of them, and warm hats to another four. A lady asked me for my gloves, but I had to disappoint her.

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather expected later this week.
Keith

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Copin' with the CHILL

I delivered a load of warm coats and sweatters to the local homeless shalter: St. Francis House, on Monday. Those coats were not doing me any good in my closet and I know they will be appreciated by someone.

The four old reitred horses I keep have been wearing their blankets for the past three days but my poor winter garden seems to be suffering even though we covered it the last few nights. We might not have much fresh broccoli, kale or snowpeas this winter.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Nothing like some tolerance for our fellow riders. I believe I would rather ride my Vee to a HD poker run than bring my HD to a strom event. I have done the former with nothing but questions and positive comments about my VEE....and maybe will do the latter next year in the Smokies with my lead sled. You will recognize me...its a Road King, all white, stock pipes, and yes....believe it or not....I will be wearing safety gear and smiling a big as you.

Live to ride and ride to live.....but most of all, don't worry too much about what I choose to ride unless I have just smoked your butt on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I cannot tell a lie. I have a Harley. It's really nice. It has a stock exhaust and the only modification that I made were adding an oil cooler and gauge, and a setback for the trunk,,,ahem, tourpack. Now I have put about 28k miles on this bike. I ride it with my wife because she dosen't like the V. I did a three day ride from Madawasaka Maine to Orlando Florida at the end of October. It is the Ultra Classic model. I was rained on and the bike still hasn't been washed. It didn't leak any oil and nothing fell off. Another Harley type called me hard core. I don't think there's any thing wrong with the bikes as they come from the factory. It's the riders. I'm not even refering to the "real" Harley guys, they ride. The poseurs are the problem. They have the money to buy a lifestyle.

As a touring bike on the interstate or secondary roads, it is perfect, a testomony that Harley has been doing this for a long time. On the West Virginia Farm Trail, not so much. It really is the bike to use on roads that I avoid on the V.
A

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Nothing like some tolerance for our fellow riders. I believe I would rather ride my Vee to a HD poker run than bring my HD to a strom event. I have done the former with nothing but questions and positive comments about my VEE....and maybe will do the latter next year in the Smokies with my lead sled. You will recognize me...its a Road King, all white, stock pipes, and yes....believe it or not....I will be wearing safety gear and smiling a big as you.

Live to ride and ride to live.....but most of all, don't worry too much about what I choose to ride unless I have just smoked your butt on it.
I've taken my Strom to Bike Week in Myrtle Beach.

My wife took her Harley to the V-Strom Buckeye Bash in Ohio.

The difference is I kept my earplugs in when I got off my bike in Myrtle Beach.
I have never met so many people in such great need of my attention.
Thanks, but if you hear one straight-piped cruiser and you've heard 'em all.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The more the merrier!

Right on! Come on over, and I will give you a fine Canadian flag. It's 180 cm x 90 cm, and high quality. It is used, but I just now put it into the washing machine to get the bird droppings off it. It will be ready for you to fly proudly on Flag Day next month ... you DO know that's Feb 15, don't you???

Let's ride in the Sunday "Cruise for Cash" ride, then stroll among the vendors and their customers. We'll have Funnel Cakes (loaded with Vitamin G, which is Grease), and wash them down with Lite Beer ... or maybe not.

Keith

·
Registered
414 Posts
Right on! Come on over, and I will give you a fine Canadian flag. It's 180 cm x 90 cm, and high quality. It is used, but I just now put it into the washing machine to get the bird droppings off it.
A used flag with bird droppings? Think I can find something better locally.

It will be ready for you to fly proudly on Flag Day next month ... you DO know that's Feb 15, don't you???
No, never was particularly jingoistic and haven't caught the disease living down here. I do have two Canadian flags on my desk and on my vans license plate. Does that count?

Let's ride in the Sunday "Cruise for Cash" ride, then stroll among the vendors and their customers. We'll have Funnel Cakes (loaded with Vitamin G, which is Grease), and wash them down with Lite Beer ... or maybe not.
Funnel cakes and water. You make it sound so tempting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts