StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got about 2000 miles on the V-Strom. The stock rubber has not been a problem. I view my Strom an an Uber-commuter. Thus far... limited time spent off-road, 10% of the time has been in the wet stuff. No complaint.

Though I have been riding for about 25 years, I doubt that I currently posses the nerve to really test the limits of the bike or the tires. Being a paratrooper for my Uncle Sam took me from daily rider/canyon carver of my Bandit 1200S, to barely being able to get in and out of my wheelchair, then back into the saddle of a new DL1000. I ride well, and work hard not to get "psyched-out" if the bike swims or moves under me. The thought of un-doing my doctor's efforts has me riding at about 80% of personal skill. I'd like to know just how hard one can push a V-Strom on the trail Wings, as I ease myself back into the "zone".

·
Registered
156 Posts
I haven't found the limits of mine yet. But I have no chicken strips left on the rear, and I've only scraped the foot peg once on the right hand side. (Left hand for those in USA)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had no issues with the Trailwings either. They've worked well enough for me in all sorts of conditions. I've ridden in light snow, frost, black ice, and even over sand and gravel with them.

After 12,000kms they needed replacing and I'm now trying a set of Dunlop D607's. So far I like them, they definitely feel different, can't say if they're a better tire or not yet as i've only had them one for about 400km so far.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Same here with the Trailwings.
I've been using the Dunlop 607 last two changes on my 650.
If you want total street get a BT20.
Much more flexible and very grippy.
They weigh a few pounds less than either the Trailwings or the 607.
My riding buddy used them on his last two changes and he loves them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

I appreciate the post regarding the tires. Has anyone tried a Metzler on the V-Strom?

Went to the VA today. Docs said that it would take a serious trauma to put me back ina wheeel chair, and not to worry. Did not take the bike :cry: but tomorrow is a work day so I'll be back in the saddle. Best part of my work day is the commute :D, given others experience with the Trail Wings, I think I'll try to use more of my bike and tires tomorrow.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm running Metzeler Tourances. Put them on after the stock rear Trailwing picked up a nail after 2k miles, so I think I have a pretty fair comparison between the two. They seem to be pretty good on the street, at least as good as the Trailwings (I'm hard pressed to tell the difference, anyway), and okay in dirt and gravel. They suck in sand or mud, but anything short of a TKC80 is going to do that. For a 90/10 dual purpose tire, they are very good.

B

·
0 Posts
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY SIR !!!! (Yelled at the top of your lungs, so that the DI could hear you at the other end of the parade ground)

Glad to hear you ar making headway.

The VA has improved leaps and bound from the mid to late 60s when we were a client.

Still have to go back yearly to get the "good" pain killers.

Ride Em

:p

·
Registered
383 Posts
get the TKCs. they look bad-ass. mileage on the street sucks, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. :lol: seriously though for all the bashing the trailwings have gotten on another board i subscribe to calling them "death wings" and such, i like them. 2500 miles on them, and i haven't had any problems with "vagueness", "unpredicability in corners" etc. granted, i have only taken them maybe 10% off-road and those are on gentle fire roads and dirt park trails at a snails pace with no crazy antics. I'd like to try the 020s at some point and REALLY like to try the TKCs but methinks with a wedding coming up in 34 days (she reminds me constantly) my wallet just won't allow it.....which doesn't mean my visa will protest. . . :twisted:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have used the TW, Michelin Pilot Road, Michelin Anakee and now Tourance's on my Wee.

Without a doubt, I feel the Tourance has been my best skin. Great traction wet or dry (I dont use it for any dirt) and super long lasting.

I presently have about 19,000km on the rear Tourance, and still have 4mm of tread in the centre.

The Pilot Road was an unacceptable tire and was worn out by 9,000km.

The Anakee was a very good tire as well, I would rate it with the Tourance other than the mileage. I got about 14,000km on the Anakee before it was basically bald.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Tire test: MOTORRAD 4/2005

Hope this helps.

I wanted the d607s but couldn't get one when I needed it PPPP (piss poor prior planning). They had the Tourance in stock so I went with those.

My front trailwing went 18k miles (a litlle past what was really safe) but the rear was replaced at 8k due to a 1/4" lag screw. I didn't have any problem with the the trailwings and scraped the pegs quite often.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I forgot to mention, I have a 607 on the front right now, and am not overly happy with it. Right away I noticed a "weeble" under deceleration that got worse if i stood and leaned forward.

Mileage wise it has been good, about 10,000km on it so far and no noticable wear. Traction is good wet/dry on pavement. Cant comment on dirt traction.

I talked to 2 other riders on my east trip, they too complained of a slight wobble.

I ended up having to run 40 psi in it to almost eliminate the wobble. I have since gone back to 33psi with the mileage on it now and it isnt too bad. But has never felt as secure as the TW or Anakee in the front.

cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PSI

Any thoughts on PSI? It was recommended to me that I run between 38 to 41 in the front to improve handling. Since that is over the OEM specs, I tied 39 PSI and noticed an improvement, but did not keep the tires set that way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I run 40 front and 42 rear. The original rear Trailwing went 14000km, and the front is soon to be replaced with 17000km. Both tyres wore very evenly with no cupping, and the handling is great, so I don't think there's a problem with running higher pressures then recommended. Others posting here always run their tyres at the maximum pressure stated on the sidewall.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I run +3 psi on the front and +4 psi on the rear over the numbers printed on the chain guard (sorry, I don't remember what those are off the top of my head). I arrived at those numbers using the 10% rule. If I'm going to be off-road, I'll drop the pressures to about 20 psi front and back (I carry a small air pump to fill them back up).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
40 psi

Here is my update after reading the various reponses, all of which I am grateful to have received. I took a few curves with a "win it or bin it" attitude. Found that I could hustle the DL1000 much better than expected. I guess I had to get past the mental barrier of un-doing my doctors handywork. Still not setting any records, but I certianly have greater confidence in the capabilities of the machine and tires.

Upped the PSI to 40 in each tire. WOW! I dare say it is almost "flickable", and improved the handling dramatically. Received a letter from the VA that I would receive back-dated disability payments. HMMM what to do, what to do? Any must have FARKLE items out there?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glad to hear you're gaining confidence. Bumping the tyre pressures up a bit over stock certainly does make a difference, and it's probably the easiest adjustment you can make to the handling of any bike.

Can't help you with what to do with your new found dough, but isn't it great when you get some sort of unexpected windfall like that! Have fun spending it.

F

·
0 Posts
I replaced Trail Wings at 14'000 miles rear major slick front looked good. wanted to go full street and went with BTO20'S. First time I scraped the right peg it tripped me out. Got home leaned the bike over at stand still and could not believe the bike get's that low.. Rode deal's gap and cherahala parkway and BTO20'S were awsom cherahala's wide curves you can get some speed, tires got really stickey.. Wondering how many miles they will see :D 04 DL1000 BY THE WAY HOW DO YOU SPELL CHERAHALA????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deal's Gap? I am jealous. Being from Colorado I am at a loss while currently living in Texas. I sure miss riding some of my favorite canyons. Austin has some interesting terrain, but it is about an hour to get there. Thus far I am having a good expereince with the Trail Wings, but of course we always wonder if something would work better, thus the "need" for this thread.

My ride to and from Fort Hood tends to have some obstacles such as gravel and cows. Finding both in the corner can be a problem, but when I had to take evasive manuvers, I was able to do so with confidence. Had it not been for the imput I have received, I might not have faith in the capabilities of the tires. Please keep us up to date with how various tires have worked out. "Feel" and milage of the tires is of keen interest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts