StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys, I'm new to this forum. I have a 2009 wee and I am trying to find a car tire that will replace my MC tire....going Darkside.....what is the widest I can go. I think 185/70 r17 will fit.....has anyone switched over?

·
Registered
751 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The biggest limiting factor to available automotive tire sizes is the 17 inch rear wheel. 17 inch is not a hugely popular automotive wheel size.

On the DL some have reported using a 205/55-17 and nobody makes a automotive tire in a 185/xx-17 that I am aware of.

I am currently using the Achilles ATR Economist 175/55-17 on a 2007 R1200GS and am really liking it.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
The biggest limiting factor to available automotive tire sizes is the 17 inch rear wheel. 17 inch is not a hugely popular automotive wheel size.

On the DL some have reported using a 205/55-17 and nobody makes a automotive tire in a 185/xx-17 that I am aware of.

I am currently using the Achilles ATR Economist 175/55-17 on a 2007 R1200GS and am really liking it.
17" is a very popular rim size. The issue is that there are not a lot of cars that use go cart width tires in a low profile. You really need to get up to a 195 to get to standard sized lower profile tires in a 17. I have no idea what that 175/55/17 must be used on, but I'm guessing some sort of tiny European car not sold here.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
17" is a very popular rim size. The issue is that there are not a lot of cars that use go cart width tires in a low profile. You really need to get up to a 195 to get to standard sized lower profile tires in a 17. I have no idea what that 175/55/17 must be used on, but I'm guessing some sort of tiny European car not sold here.
View attachment 268507

Yes there are a lot of 17 inch tires but only a very narrow band will work.

115 thru 165 are all donut spare tires with a 50 MPH rating and anything wider than 205 will not fit.

Search out for 175 & 185 x 17" tires and see how many manufacturers produce tires in those sizes.

Actually on the chart you provided there are more sizes as 175 & 185 are not listed but they are tries sizes. But even though a chart states tires in these sizes does not mean manufacturers produce tires in every size.

Just like you could list every caliber of ammunition doesn't mean it in production.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Yes there are a lot of 17 inch tires but only a very narrow band will work.

115 thru 165 are all donut spare tires with a 50 MPH rating and anything wider than 205 will not fit.

Search out for 175 & 185 x 17" tires and see how many manufacturers produce tires in those sizes.

Actually on the chart you provided there are more sizes as 175 & 185 are not listed but they are tries sizes. But even though a chart states tires in these sizes does not mean manufacturers produce tires in every size.

Just like you could list every caliber of ammunition doesn't mean it in production.
That is what I'm saying. What is on that chart is standard(ish) American vehicle tire sizes listed by Tire rack for 17" wheels (which means they sell at least one tire that size). Itty bitty 175/185 car tires are not the norm (in the US). I'm sure if you expand to European sources you could find some skinny tires for cars that don't get sold here.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
But the cheap arse sitting on the bike does😉😁😁😁
Do you have any 1st hand expierence with Darksiding? Reading forums or watching videos on the internet on Darksiding is not a qualifier.

As I've said before I personally did not try Darksiding for monetary reasons. I did it because I wanted to find out 1st hand what all the hubbub was. Turnout the only hubbub is from those who have never seen a motorcycle sporting a cart tire let alone having ridden one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Each to their own.....but I discovered that most posters, in various forums, do it to save a few bob.

FYI - As a former road racer I am quite particular about brakes and tyres and, even in my dotage, still ride regularly and briskly!

BTW, my comment on cheap arses was generalized and not poster specific😉.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ignore the posters with zero experience darksiding. Its the typical response from someone that simply is too frightened to try new things. ;)

The most common 17" size is 205/50-17. I ran this on the FJR and many others have too. I have heard that it will fit on the Strom, but have never tried it. It is a size that gives you a lot of variety to choose from. Go poke the various darksiding threads, you're a lot more likely to find good info from people doing it than from a general tire thread. FYI - There really isn't much point in running a Achillies. You can get better wear from a Mitas E07+ Dakar. I got 17k from a rear on the heavier Super Ten, but that was the old version of the E07 Dakar.

The common fallacy about CTs is that people think you can't ride around corners briskly. That's simply not true. Anyone that's actually ridden a Darkside set up for any length of time will tell you that.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Even if the Achilles is worn out at 10,000 miles why is there not point in running it? They're only $52 and longevity is not the only matrix for going Darkside; I'd bet a Achilles ATR handles the wet pavement far better than the rock hard compound as found on the Mitas E07.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The Dark Side Forum

Tire Size Calculator

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The tire size calculator is a handy comparison tool you can put in tire sizes that are not avalaible/readily avalaible.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Have you noticed that the negative ninnies have no real experience with what they are talking about? If some one says "I tried something and it didn't work for me" then they would know what they are talking about, but you don't see that with the negative ninnies.

Cheers

RLBranson

1 - 20 of 83 Posts