StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Troopers,
Time for a time change. Can anyone direct me to a good tire for my DL 1000? I'm Mostly on the road but a lot of gravel roads here in the NE. Your input is highly appreciated. Thanks. 0:)

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
How knobby do those gravel roads require?

BATTLAX ADVENTURE A40 | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation

Continental Motorcycle Tires TKC 70
705 Series | Shinko Tire USA
Dual Sport Motorcycle Tires - Heidenau Tires (look at the K60 Scout)
Mitas E-07 Tires - RevZilla

MICHELIN Anakee Wild - Tires On-road | MICHELIN - Motorcycle - United States - Motorcycle-website -->3

Many more in all those tire types, especially the 90/10 & 80/20 like the Bridgestone A40. The only bad tires are ones unsuited to your riding conditions. Generally the lumpier the tread pattern, the shorter the tread life. The Shinko rear is short lived, but cheap--a set ought'a be one front & two rears.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you do lots of dirt road the Heidenau Tires are a 50% street 50% dirt and reasonably quiet when on the asphalt. Tried to take a 70/30% on a fire access road... good thing I had toilet paper

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your responce. PT. looks as if the Conti's get the nod. (TKC-70's) thank you. :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Before you buy those read up on comments/ reviews. Also consider Tourance. Good 80/20 tires, the front one makes some noise at lean. Don't mean Tourance Next but the original Tourance!

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
I have the TKC-70's on one of my bikes and like them a lot. They do great on dirt and gravel roads plus handle great on the tarmac. I know several others with Beemers that run them and they also like them. Try them, wear them out and try something else next time if needed.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The brands offering the better off-road / on-road tyre have been covered in the replay from PTRider (post#4). Any of these tyres will do for what you have indicated as your off-road needs.
I would think that it now comes down to your available budget (ie how much you are willing to spend) vs which tyre thread appeals to you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tire Rebate

Rebates for tires available right now. One source is Revzilla. Check the header of the tire section Motorcycle Tires & Wheels - RevZilla

$40 Dunlop Mail-in rebate
$50 Metzler VISA prepaid card
$40 Pirelle rebate

I just ordered the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II for my bike.

"...That all said, these tires aren’t designed as off road specific boots. In fact, they’re really a 90/10 ratio offering of road/off-road and so if you’re planning on going through the mountains or forests where you won’t see asphalt for days a time, this isn’t the right tire. What they are designed for is the adventure tourer who expects good amounts of grip but with the ability to hit hard packed dirt roads with confidence should the need present itself..."
Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Tire Review - TheRideAdvice.comTheRideAdvice.com

In a Motorrad test the Trail II outperformed Bridgestone BW 501/502, Bridgestone A40, Continental RoadAttack 2, Dunlop TrailSmart and Metzeler Tourance Next.
Dauertest-Zwischenbilanz Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - MOTORRAD

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it's offroad you want, I've just ordered a set of the new Shinko 804/805 tyres. They have good reviews and kinda do the TKC80 thing but have better longevity and are around half the price.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I find the Shinko 705 is fine for forestry roads with aggressive enough tread for my needs. I have run TKC80 mild knobs and really didn't find a big improvement on gravel/dirt roads. They didn't help like I expected or the Shinko 705 is better than you would think in dirt. The TKC front stops better in loose dirt, thats about it. They wear out quicker though. Early last year I was on regular Tourances and went for a long tour, good all around tire, better on pavement than the more aggressive 705, smooth and confident leaned over. I went back to 705's, I like the dirt road traction they provide. They roar a bit, not a low noise tire but not as loud as a TKC80. Lower air pressure helps off pavement, say 34 psi or so. Just a little lower than my normal 36/38 helps when loaded with camping gear on dirt roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts