StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider and I recently just bought a used 04 Dl650. I'm looking at buying new tires and wondering what your recommendations where for what type of tire and the pros and cons of each.. I've talked to a few other dealers and riders on different bikes and they all have variant ideas and choices on what type of tire is good for what bike.. any information would be greatly appreciated. .

Many thanks..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard Shinko 705 aren't very reliable due to uneven wear and tear. And are very cheap? My brother and father both also ride (not v stroms) and they both use Avon tires on their bikes? Not sure if that would be a variable option for my bike.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
I've heard Shinko 705 aren't very reliable due to uneven wear and tear. And are very cheap? My brother and father both also ride (not v stroms) and they both use Avon tires on their bikes? Not sure if that would be a variable option for my bike.
The Shinko 705 "bias ply" are an extremely popular V-Strom tire which I am also running at the moment. Price is cheap but the tire is not, they wear well and ride/handle amazingly nice for what they can do offroad.

·
Registered
22,242 Posts
I'm a new rider and I recently just bought a used 04 Dl650. I'm looking at buying new tires and wondering what your recommendations where for what type of tire and the pros and cons of each.. I've talked to a few other dealers and riders on different bikes and they all have variant ideas and choices on what type of tire is good for what bike.. any information would be greatly appreciated. .

Many thanks..
more depends on what your primary riding and what your riding goals are

I like Metzeler Karoo Ts for gravel roads but they suck at speeds over 90mph

I like Metzeler Tourances for pavement, but they suck on loose gravel in comparison to the Karoos

I have come to the conclusion that spare wheels for quick change is best option

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks soo much!! I understand some tires just don't work on some bikes. Thanks for the wisdom.

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My current riding is almost strictly pavement, small gravel, and dirt roads. Nothing too far out and extreme at this point. Being a new rider im still developing skills and riding techniques. .

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
My current riding is almost strictly pavement, small gravel, and dirt roads. Nothing too far out and extreme at this point. Being a new rider im still developing skills and riding techniques. .
The 705's sound perfect for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like a tire that is variant in worst case I must go off the road (I.e. debris, vehicles, etc.) A good 70 30 mix would be about what I'd need? Or 80 20?

·
Registered
378 Posts
IMHO rider skills are more important than what tire you are running. If you got the resources, do what RandyO suggested. If not, you are gonna settle, just like you did when you bought the Strom - not great at anything, good at everything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree riding skills are the most valuable.. but I cant ride without proper equipment and near bald tires. Safety first.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I've had zero issues from my 705 Radials. Got 15K out of the front before tossing it for cupping , and 8K off the rears. Less than 200.00 shipped for a set of tires is not bad. I'm mostly on the asphalt , but get off onto dirt roads and trails enough to justify running them. Just mounted up Full Bore M40 radials (like the 705 but with a slightly wider sipe) and look forward to putting some miles on them. You need a fresh set of tires , everyone would agree on that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMHO rider skills are more important than what tire you are running. If you got the resources, do what RandyO suggested. If not, you are gonna settle, just like you did when you bought the Strom - not great at anything, good at everything.

I do agree riding skills are the most important part of riding your Strom.. But also equally important is the quality of the equipment you use on your Strom. I want to make sure my bike will last the test of time. I also want to ensure my own safety as well as the safety of others, wheather they be passengers on my bike or others around me. You can never be too careful in selecting the right tires for your skill level and riding style. You wouldn't buy knobbie tires to ride on the pavement as well as buying slicks to ride in the mud.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My experience with them is they stick like glue in corners and great in rain. They wear out in 7K miles on the rear. The front tracks weird when going slow and the tires are loud. Good tires, but I ride all pavement and want something smoother.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
the other low cost tire is the Shinko 712. But that is street only.

The Shinko 705 really is a great tire for the price, as others have suggested. But... some have had delamination problems so be sure to check the treads often.

And, my personal experience is that once the front tire starts to wear the 705 gets noisy- VERY noisy.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So quit looking for a 70/20 tire...[/QUOTE]

As I said I'm a new rider and unsure of what my exact needs would be as of now. No hard feelings. As my previous statement was meant as a question.

·
Registered
378 Posts
no worries. I prolly just need to get outta work! best of luck to you on your search and with your wonderful, new machine!

FWIW I like my Anakee IIIs, but they are a bit noisy. Got Conti Attack Trails for the '05 and love them - but don't feel right stealing them from my bro in the night.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts