StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at ordering a rear tire today at the local snowmobile/ quad dealer today , the best deal was one of the last 2 maxxis presa detours left in canada for $219 . i said ok but they wanted the full amount up front . since im on EI [un employment insurance] i couldnt afford that . so i phoned my regular bike dealer that lets me order stuff and pay it off . then he sends it on the bus and gives me 20% off . WOW he told me he sells the stock trail wings for $120 . the local dealer quoted me $370 for a tourance. so trail wings are the way to go if your on a budget . also today i went to try my new E36 GIVI as a top case , the E 45/E36 side cases wont work as a top case if you have the tail light contact point on your top case mount

·
Registered
804 Posts
i was looking at ordering a rear tire today at the local snowmobile/ quad dealer today , the best deal was one of the last 2 maxxis presa detours left in canada for $219 . i said ok but they wanted the full amount up front . since im on EI [un employment insurance] i couldnt afford that . so i phoned my regular bike dealer that lets me order stuff and pay it off . then he sends it on the bus and gives me 20% off . WOW he told me he sells the stock trail wings for $120 . the local dealer quoted me $370 for a tourance. so trail wings are the way to go if your on a budget . also today i went to try my new E36 GIVI as a top case , the E 45/E36 side cases wont work as a top case if you have the tail light contact point on your top case mount

I think $370.00 for a Tourance is full list. Most places or at least some places give you 30% off list. but thats still over $200.00 still. Shinko has a new V-Strom sized tire for a very good price. Waiting for someone to try them and give us a report. I think the modal is 705.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Good price on Tourance

I buy my Tourances from Ron Ayers. Last month I got a set, delivered to my home in FL, for US$265. My friendly local Suzuki dealer mounted and balanced them for $35 each, and they will take me about 14000 miles, or over 20000 kilometers. Either way, that is about a year's riding, and I will do more than a third of that before Victoria Day.

I like the Tourance tire. I had a plug put in my front tire in Newfoundland, and the tire took safely to Toronto, needing no inflation en route. The front tire that I took off also picked up a nail, and again a simple CTC plug worked perfectly.

Keith

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Holy H*ll, I regularaly buy a Battlewing for 165.00 Cdn from my local shop. I have used a couple of Tourances and 3 Battlewings. They are very similar in performance and mileage, with a slight edge to the Tourance in mileage.

I paid 190.00 cdn for my last Tourance rear skin.

Or where you quoting a price for a set?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hillbilly

i went to the hillbilly snowmobile / bike shop in town because i figured they wouldnt change a tire unless i bought it from them , the nearest real bike shop is 250 klm away . but they told me they would change the tire even if i got it elsewhere for $50 . i live in a condo so i cant really buy a tire press , and although ive changed many dirt bike tires my self , im not sure about mags and radials . the local shop is so hill billy that when i asked about the cheap made in china scooter they had , he told me it was built in edmonton alberta , but desighned in california , and made from parts from japan . as a member of the great web site "mychinamoto" . i know what is what . i think i read to many bike mags because i know a little too much about bikes . ive even had salesmen tell me to shut up , because ive corrected them when ive overheard them lie to customers

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
One front and one rear.

Holy H*ll, I regularaly buy a Battlewing for 165.00 Cdn from my local shop. I have used a couple of Tourances and 3 Battlewings. They are very similar in performance and mileage, with a slight edge to the Tourance in mileage.

I paid 190.00 cdn for my last Tourance rear skin.

Or where you quoting a price for a set?

Cheers
US$264.99 was the charge for two tires, delivered to my door. There was no discount on freight for the second tire, although I thought there should have been. Metzeler Tourance tires, and they are now aboard for my ride northward.

You can visit Ron Ayers web site, and perhaps find out if they sell to Canadian addresses.

Good luck - I know you use a lot of tires! (it's a long way to Rumpty's!)

Keith

·
Registered
804 Posts
US$264.99 was the charge for two tires, delivered to my door. There was no discount on freight for the second tire, although I thought there should have been. Metzeler Tourance tires, and they are now aboard for my ride northward.

You can visit Ron Ayers web site, and perhaps find out if they sell to Canadian addresses.

Keith
Ron Ayers does ship to Canada but only UPS so you have brokerage fees. My friend got Tourances for his R1200GS from them last fall.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Keith
Actually, I was refering to the OP's quote of 370.00

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
i went to the hillbilly snowmobile / bike shop in town because i figured they wouldnt change a tire unless i bought it from them , the nearest real bike shop is 250 klm away . but they told me they would change the tire even if i got it elsewhere for $50 . i live in a condo so i cant really buy a tire press , and although ive changed many dirt bike tires my self , im not sure about mags and radials . the local shop is so hill billy that when i asked about the cheap made in china scooter they had , he told me it was built in edmonton alberta , but desighned in california , and made from parts from japan . as a member of the great web site "mychinamoto" . i know what is what . i think i read to many bike mags because i know a little too much about bikes . ive even had salesmen tell me to shut up , because ive corrected them when ive overheard them lie to customers

I copied what this guy did, and off'ed the rear trail wing, and mounted a new Scorpion Trail in 15 minutes. All you need to buy are a couple nice tire irons. Got mine from Dual Sport Plus. Brought the tire in to be balanced, but heard great things about the Dyna beads that would even make that part unnecessary .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XArpY_hSdk

·
Registered
103 Posts
buy online

If your on a serious budget go to oldbikebarn.com. Maxxis Promaxx rear m6103 65 dollars us and all orders over 100 us get free shipping. I'm on my 5th rear, 2nd promaxx and it's not a bad tire for the price.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are the new Tourance's as good as the old, for mileage? Anyone?
I have one of the EXP's mounted and I don't think they are up to the mileage the old Tourances can do. I'm just over 10,000km's and it's getting a little thin in the middle. I'm thinking it will be time for a new one in the 14-15,000km range which is about what I got out of my old Trailwing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts