StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the first time since ive owned this bike...it is time for some new rubber. This bike is 100% street ridden. What do you recommend? My full size bagger ran dunlops that were horrible and are now on a set of metzlers that i love.

2005 Vstrom Dl1000

·
Registered
833 Posts
For 100% road I go with Michelin Pilot Road 4s front and back. I have them on my SV and this is the second pair. They get good mileage, are great in the wet, and grip the road better than my riding ability. There are PR5s now, I haven't run them, but I would probably go with them if I had a need.

Unfortunately on this topic you will probably get a different opinion for each person you ask.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A new pair of Continental Trail Attack on mine when I bought it. Look more like a road tyre. Done about 1k miles so far, with 90% road and the rest being pot-holed, gravel patched single-track. Seem fine to me. For road use they'd probably exceed the bikes capabilities. Certainly exceed my capabilities, and I don't pootle about all the time.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
For 100% road I go with Michelin Pilot Road 4s front and back. I have them on my SV and this is the second pair. They get good mileage, are great in the wet, and grip the road better than my riding ability. There are PR5s now, I haven't run them, but I would probably go with them if I had a need.

Unfortunately on this topic you will probably get a different opinion for each person you ask.
Have you noticed any difference in traction as the PR 4's wear ?

I have them on my MT09, when they were new any throttle input would have the front wheel lofting skyward (that happens very easy on the MT) but now they are about 3/4 worn the rear end just spins up and that will happen in first, second or third gear if I stay on the centre strip of the tire.

Reactions: Thirdelement

·
Registered
833 Posts
Have you noticed any difference in traction as the PR 4's wear ?

I have them on my MT09, when they were new any throttle input would have the front wheel lofting skyward (that happens very easy on the MT) but now they are about 3/4 worn the rear end just spins up and that will happen in first, second or third gear if I stay on the centre strip of the tire.

The only thing I have noticed as far as loss of traction is that the PR4 warm vs. cold tire is very different. I barely notice it in summer but in colder months it is very noticeable.
I have some mods on the SV that make it very fickle for traction on throttle application so it's possible that I haven't experienced what you mention simply because I don't ride very hard until I know the tires are warmed up and sticky.

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
There is a tire and suspension section, moving this there along with all the others.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm currently on the OEM Trailwings on my L4 Wee but looking to replace. I posted this to another thread;

My new-to-me 2014 DL650A with 5000 miles still has the OEM Bridgestone Trailwing tires and I need to replace them soon. Despite having a lot of tread-life remaining they are +5 years old and handle like crap. I have been poking around this and other sites looking for advice on what to buy. Based on my research, I am considering the following sport-touring tires;

• Metzler RoadTec01
  • Pirelli Angel GT
  • Bridgestone Battlax T31
I got back into riding about 5 years ago but my only tire experience has been with the Michelin Pilot Road 3 and 4 which are really grippy tires (that I loved) but are expensive and don't last (~6-7K miles and that was pushing it). My use case is strictly street riding, no off-road, rarely dirt or gravel roads (e.g. to get to a campsite or some such), no rain (California!) so mostly twisties and some slabbing. Naturally, I'd like a tire that is not expensive (~cough~ Michelin ~cough~) will run a while (~10K miles) before needing replacement. Is this too much to ask in a moto tire? I am leaning toward the Angel GT but open to suggestions and comments, especially from riders who have used any of these tires. Thank you!

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
I have the T31's on mine and like them. Wet, dry and tar snakes seem to have no effect on traction.

Reactions: Big B

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
I have the T31's on mine and like them. Wet, dry and tar snakes seem to have no effect on traction.

Were I to ever go full pavement only, I'll likely give those a whack if still around. :grin2:

Reactions: Vindex1963

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Were I to ever go full pavement only, I'll likely give those a whack if still around. :grin2:
The OEM tires ran 13,555 miles, not to shabby I'm hoping these last a very long time. I have over 5,000 on the T31's and they don't even look worn.

·
Registered
288 Posts
On my third set of Battlewings (BW501 & BW502). Got 7,500-ish on the first 2 sets. 5k into the third set and it looks like they will get the same.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
The only thing I have noticed as far as loss of traction is that the PR4 warm vs. cold tire is very different. I barely notice it in summer but in colder months it is very noticeable.
See that becomes a problem in the wet when you can't keep temperature in a tire.

I have lost the front a few times in the wet on the MT but it is a city bike and the roads can get nice & slick in the wet.

I use stopping distance as a test for my tires and as the PR 4's have worn my distances have increased.

"I only ever shop for traction never for distance", I will be looking for something different when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Battlewings 501 & 502, I've run a few sets, good mileage (12,500 miles) perform well on the street, and priced right. My go to tire, I don't do much off roading.

I've run a few sets of Conti Trail Attack, similar to Battlewings, but turn in is slower.

I've run a few sets of Michelin Pilot Road (2 & 3) on my old Aprilia, no other tire has ever improved the handling on a bike as much as they did, good mileage (12K miles), haven't run them on the Strom.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I needed a rear on my new to me/old K8 Wee. The tire expert at the shop recommended Dunlop Trailsmarts. I hadn't planned on a front tire but with the bike wearing a knobby on the front and Dunlop's $75 rebate if you bought a set, I pulled the trigger on both tires. Hope they turn out to be good rubber. I have had good experience with Dunlops on previous bikes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is this offer still in effect and where?
VS - Looks like there are 3 Dunlop Pro Dealers in the Virginia Beach area according to a search on the Dunlop website. I think that you have to have them installed by one of these Pro Dealers for the rebate to work.

Here's the site address: https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/

You can do a dealer search and contact them. They will give you more details than is shown on the website.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: VSrider

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use Metzler Tourances front and back and they work great for me both on the highways and on the gravel and dirt roads I've been down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts