StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people currently like in tires. I am soon due for a new set. I have been running the stock tires but thinking of moving on to something else. I recently spent two weeks in New Zealand on a rented V-Strom 650 which was outfitted with Michelin Anakee tires and I quite liked them. Put 4500 kms on some great roads and was very happy with the bike and the tires. Overall a fabulous trip.

By the way the bike I rented (a 2014) had close to 70,000 kms on it when I returned it to the rental agency and it ran just as good as my own bike which is also a 2014 but it only has about 9,000 kms on it. The only issue with the rental bike was the chain which I had to adjust (and of course lube) a few times to keep it from making clunking noises. As you all know this is an amazing bike especially considering its cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've run several sets of Trailwings, Shinkos, Tourances, and one set of Anakees. I mostly stay on pavement. Prefer either the Trailwing and Tourance because they seem to wear the best. I would not buy another set of the Shinko tires.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Shinko 804/805 if you ride enough off pavement. Shinko 705 if you ride a lot of pavement with the occasional fire road or light off road duty. If all you ride is pavement I really like Pilot Roads in their various flavors.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
Depends on the riding mix.

Personally I love K60 Scouts for durable ( incredible ) and stability off pavement ...

I'm using Mitas E8 in Australia ...not quite as durable as the Scouts but love the pavement handling and in the wet....for a 50-50 tire ....very nice.

I have Pilot 3s currently for pavement but will switch to the K60s when they wear out. No complaints but nothing outstanding and they are terrible in gravel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ride mostly pavement with a little bit of gravel every now and then. I really like the Anakee III. In curves on pavement they are steadier and hold a line better than the stock Bridgestones. Don't require much in the way of mid corner corrections. They do seem to turn in a little slower. I have been super satisfied with them and if they wear well, I will put them on again at the next tire change.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Depends on the riding mix.
Exactly. Some are always on pavement and prefer a sport touring street tire like a Michelin Pilot Road 4, Bridgestone Battleax T30 Evo, or Avon Storm 3D X-M (15,000 mile warranty).

Others are in rough stuff and like a full knobby. Or an almost full knobby like a Heidenkau K60 or Mitas E-07.

Many like the 90/10 (or 80/20) "adventure touring" tires like the Michelin Anakee 3, Metzeler Tourance, or Avon Trailrider AV53/AV54.

I tend toward the newest tire of the type I'm looking for. The tire companies are continually improving the tire casing, rubber compounds, and tread pattern.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Reactions: ZepRider

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have used original Tourance, RP3 + 4's, Original & 2's Anakee's, Continental's, Bridgestone's, and most recently the Avon Trailrider's.... and have decided they are my new fave's.
If you do pavement only, go with the PR4's... Outstanding street performance (especially in the wet!) but worthless off pavement.
I will most likely replace the Trail riders with the same tire next time ( I do frequent graded road / jeep trails 2 up on the weekends).
6K / mi. so far & most pleased with all performance aspects (other than a bit of noise a some speeds) and tread life (aprox. 65% tread left now) and a strong value for the money.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have to admit I'm really starting to love my 804/805s coming from tourances, then 705s I think I've finally found what I was looking for. Only have a few hundred miles on them at this point but so far the road manners are very good and off road is night and day to either of the previous sets.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I spend a fair amount of time riding power-lines and un-maintained forest access roads, and even more time riding gravel secondary roads, so I tend to use a more aggressive tire.
I have gone through 2 sets of Mitas E07 Dakar's, getting near 20,000 kilometers out of the rears.
I just put a Motoz Tractionator Adventure on the rear after wearing out my last E07 (18,000kms) - still running the E07 front.
I am going to be slapping on a fresh set of E07 Dakar's in late May before heading to the D2D.
And before you ask - yes, the Mitas E07 Dakar's are a little louder that street-only tires, but I don't even notice it anymore.
And yes, I ride aggressively whatever surface I am on - I have scraped pegs on asphalt with the Mitas - they definitely perform on asphalt too, not just in the rougher stuff.
Like anything though, YMMV,

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
Or an almost full knobby like a Heidenkau K60 or Mitas E-07.
Nah ...not knobbies.

Dunlop 606 are street legal knobbies

e07

K60 Scout

Big difference in noise and wear but in tougher conditions the 606s go where pointed up out of a rain gully etc.
But not so great at anythng above 50 mph.

Reactions: Solo Moto

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Either PR4's or K60 scouts. The PR4's are horrible on any sort of loose surface, fantastic everywhere else.

On the back roads I prefer I'm actually faster on the K60's but they are heavy and they are noisy so it's mostly PR4's.

The reason I'm faster on K60's is that the road is effectively a lot wider and what would be a problem for a road tire, say broken seal or a sprinkling of gravel isn't an issue with the K60's.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I drive off the pavement on to gravel or dirt with the K60s and they are perfectly stable and track.
I ttried the same with my PR3s....I was NOT impressed.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
These are off road tires not street legal...wide spaced knobs so they do not clog up.

I learned my lesson about appropriate tires and making sure they are not worn. Shoulder still hurts.
You get on 606s and confidence goes way up they will go where pointed even on off camber they bite and climb as you wish.
I found them okay for the limited distances I do on the KLR and helped my rusty dirt skills.
Switched to E07 Mitas and much nicer on the pavement, quieter, more confidence on damp pavement and the did okay on medium rough dual track tho a bit squirrelly in sand ...had to remind myself DO NOT ROLL OFF THE THROTTLE...:surprise:

At 50 mph a sand wash out would still hurt especially a high side.

·
Registered
58 Posts
anakee 3 road noise

I ride mostly pavement with a little bit of gravel every now and then. I really like the Anakee III. In curves on pavement they are steadier and hold a line better than the stock Bridgestones. Don't require much in the way of mid corner corrections. They do seem to turn in a little slower. I have been super satisfied with them and if they wear well, I will put them on again at the next tire change.
I just installed a new set of anakee 3s on my V2. I like them and they go in the dirt and gravel well enough but at anout 62mph they are LOUD! They whine like a bell tone that tells you class is over. Without earplugs I could not stand it and even with them I try to avoid that speed range which is annoying. Have you noticed this?

If I never left pavement I would use pilot roads. They are superior tires on the tarmac and I would get 11-12k on my Concours with them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cheapie 705s are really pleasing me, but I'm rather laid back in my riding and they haven't worn yet.

Reactions: Lrobby99
1 - 20 of 87 Posts